- Text Size +
Downtime - Chapter 13

Brian scanned the hallway, in search of his friend who had disappeared so quickly out of the room. Feeling with his hand on the door handle to the bathroom, he shouted, "Nick? You in there?" The door swung open, revealing no one inside. Brian frowned. Where could his friend be? Concern clouded his mind; as Nick's behaviour had been totally out of place. The teen was more sullen than ever and he started to think that there could be more than meets the eye.

Maybe Nick really felt lonely and wanted his family to be there with him. Frack had a habit of running away whenever things got too much for him. The boys had learned to accept this through out the years. They even had a name for it, "the mood", as it would say everything. Nick was a rather open and outgoing person when he was with people he knew, other times he could be really shy and reserved. Since he often laughed and was really easy to get along with he rarely expressed when something was wrong, that was if it was something big. Smaller details he often whined about. This behaviour forced the guys, especially Brian, to learn how to read between the lines when it came to understanding Nick. The youngest member was really complicated at times.

Nick was nowhere to be found and it was clear that the teen wanted to be alone. With a deep sigh Brian was about to give up his search, and go back to the dining room when a thought struck him; Nick had probably went outside. As he strode out through the backdoors he saw the "lost one" sitting on a swing in the backyard. Back against him, leaning awkwardly against the rope that held up the swing. "Nick!" Brian called out as he walked out on the porch. The teen jerked, but made no move to turn around to acknowledge his presence. "Dude there you are!" He smiled while scanning his friend up and down with searching eyes. What caught his eye had him really concerned. Nick looked pale but also a bit down.

"What's the matter?" he asked, placing his hand on the blonde's arm only to be rewarded with a small nod.

The teen looked up, saying nothing further. His hand that had been covering his stomach, immediately let go of the position and instead he grabbed the rope with both hands. " Hi Bri." The face lightened up for a moment.

"What are you up to?"

" Eh..uh..nothing." Nick seemed embarrassed. "Just sitting here you know, taking it easy for a while. Chillin'"

"Yes? You’re alright? Why did you leave?" There was accusation in the older boy's voice.

"I'm fine." 'God how many times had he told them that,' Nick thought while he was doing his best to sound convincing. "It was just a bit stuffy you know you and also Kev was on my case all the time and.. And I really had to be alone for a while." He bit his lip.

"You sure you’re fine?" Brian said with doubt in his voice "I mean I could go and get mom if you want me too" He gesture with his head towards the house.

"Nah." Nick shook his head; "I told you I was fine, didn't I?"

"Yeah but...” Brian acted like he didn't want to drop the subject, yet he didn’t want to push on either. A thought struck his mind. "Is it about your family Nick? Is that what all of this is? That they are in Europe and you miss them?" He paused briefly. "You want to call them?"

Nick jerked back at once like he’d been hit in his face with a fist. That wouldn’t be possible since his mom was throwing a party for his little brother this Thanksgiving and calling them collect call would only make them either worried or angry that he was disturbing them. So that was totally out of the question.

"No!" He shook his head violently. "No it’s ok. I’m fine."

Brian could see that it was bothering him. "Nick, it’s ok to feel homesick," he said patting his friend lightly on his shoulder. "You don’t have to act tough."

His friend looked up. "I’m not acting like that. And I’m not homesick either." The tone was a bit defensive. "I really like staying with you and all...” Nick swallowed hard. His stomach was churning widely again and now he was pretty certain that the flu bug had come to stay. He was sweating too, cold sweat, that was a safe sign that there was going to be an outbreak soon enough. He just hoped that he could stall it a day or two since he really wanted to go to that "date" as Brian called it. Julie seemed like a cool girl and he wouldn't want to miss going to the movies with her. Watching the NBA game on Saturday was also something he didn't intend to miss and therefore he was determined to stay well, or as well as it was possible regarding the symptoms he was experiencing. Swallowing hard he only nodded since talking at the point didn’t seem wise enough to do.

"It's freezing out here," Brian went on, wrapping his arms around him like he was cold. "How can you stand to be outside only dressed in that?" He gestured with his thumb at Nick’s thin sweater. Not waiting for the answer he continued, "Come on and let's get inside before we freeze our butts off."

Nick shook his head, making no attempt to leave. "Eh..Well..You can go inside," he stuttered” I...I..I think I will stay outside for a while longer. I’m still a bit warm and stuff you know."

"Warm?" The Kentuckian spat. "Are you kidding me? It has to be way below zero!" He knew he was exaggerating a bit but sometimes it was the only way he would get Nick to act. "You sure you’re really ok then?" He was about to place his hand on the teen's forehead when Nick backed away, violently.

"Jeeze Bri, you're starting to sound like my mom or even worse..like Kevin!" The teen looked annoyed.

Brian had to smile at Nick's disgusted face. "Hey Frack, we're just worried about you, you know. That is why we are all acting like mother hen's." He placed his arm around the teen's shoulder in a comforting gesture. "You seem to be off or something ever since you arrived and I'm just making sure that there is not something that you’re hiding from me, you know. That you’re sick or something."

"Well I’m not so stop being such a worrywart," Nick said slowly before flicking off his friends arm with his hand. Jumping off the swing he winced when his feet hit the ground. "Oh shit," he mumbled while he placed his arm protecting over his stomach.

The motion didn’t go unseen from Brian’s hawk eyes. Instantly he reached out for his friend. "Dude, what is it? Something wrong with your stomach? You’re ok?"

The teen shook his head while he said in a shaky voice. "Itīs..itīs nothing. Iīm pro..Probably too full or it’s that muscle I pulled yesterday or something" Straightening up he took his hand away from his midsection, a smile toying his lips.

But Brian wasn't that easy to lead into another path. " Full?? You? You hardly touched any of that food on your plate. Don't think that I didn't notice how you pushed your food around on the plate?" He raised his eyebrow. What's up with that? ”

Eh..uh..well I," Nick started before he suddenly snapped, too sick and tired of everyone butting into his face, "Would you quit it! I told you that I was fine and stop bugging me..If it was something I would tell you..allright?"

Brian looked at his friend with demise. It was rare that Nick snapped at him so something most clearly bothering him more than he wanted to admit, yet he realised that they were making no progress and therefore he decided to stop pressing the teen and instead wait until Nick decided to come to him and talk about what was on his mind. "Ok," he said causally, "Let's go back then. The others are waiting and it's soon time for dessert." He motioned with his heads towards the house. Usually Brian wouldn't have dropped the subject so fast but the thought of his mother's chocolate cake and whip cream made his taste buds water and he looked forward setting his teeth into a bite.

"'K. As long as you drop this subject."

Brian frowned. "Ok, but then you have to let me know if you feel bad or something. You know if you need to leave and go home." When Nick only threw him an eye he grabbed his friends arm again. "Ok?"

With as shrug Nick muttered, "Yes Dad," before releasing himself from the grip.

Brian chuckled. "I'm not the daddy; don't you know that by now? Kevin is." Determined to get the teen in a better mood he added. "I'll race you to the door, Ok?"

Never missing an opportunity to race Nick took up the challenge and with that the two of them ran; Brian, hoping that he would get his friend in a better mood. Nick, hoping that he would make it without passing out! ************************************************************************************************************

When will this ever end,' Nick thought miserably when he glanced at his watch for the tenth time in just as many minutes. Time seemed to drag along so slow and he wanted nothing more than this dinner to be over with so he could go back to the Littrell's and crawl back to bed. He was starting to feel a bit lousy and was sweating tons. Ever since he had come back from his brief "escape" he sat in silence, listening to Brian and Kevin chatting with their cousins. The noise was more and more making him sleepy and he had to pinch him more than one time on the arm not to fall asleep. The stomach ache was still there, along with a nauseous feeling and a churning stomach. The gurgling in his stomach indicated that he would be sick one way or the other before this evening would be ended. He sincerely hoped that his intuition was wrong. Swallowing hard, he tried to listen to the conversation, and to make them know that he was "listening" he mumbled a "aha" or " mhm," ever so often. This was a trick that he had learned doing boring interviews overseas. It worked like a charm and often he could sit at an interview, pretending to be there, while he was thinking of something else. Ok, sometimes he was accused of spacing out and would receive one or two slaps in the head. But it was all worth it. Having a few moments alone.

As he shifted position in his chair, trying to find a more comfortable spot, Kevin rose from his seat. Looking over at the older member he raised an eyebrow. Was Kev going to give a speech? "First of all I want to thank you for a wonderful dinner..." Yup Kevin was giving a speech. Nick groaned inwardly. This could take forever! Not that he thought that Kevin was boring, at least not boring him to death, no it was more that he couldn't stand to listen to anything right now. The room felt more and more stuffy and the nausea was threatening to bloom out until vomiting. He swallowed hard again, only listening with half an ear.

"So therefore I think that we have to continue with our tradition and..." Kevin was about to end his speech, "It's time for the annual Football Game!"

Cheers filled the room, especially from the younger male population. Under normal circumstances Nick would have been absolutely thrilled. He loved playing all kinds of sports, even if he didn't play in the same division as the Kentucky cousins. This time however he wanted to pass. His stomach was absolutely killing him by now and all he wanted was to sit down, or even better lay down on the couch. Running around, trying to catch a ball didn't seem too tempting.

Brian must have caught his lack of interest as he put a hand on his shoulder,”What’s up buddy? Don't you wanna play?"

Nick was about to give away a negative reply when he saw the disappointment in his friends eyes. There was not a chance that he could call this off since he had been nothing but a spoil sport the whole stay. " Um..Yeah..Itīll be fun!" He gave away a false cheerful smile and then jumped off his chair, a little too fast.

Brian delayed for a moment, " You sure?" Once again he doubted his friend's words.

"Yeah, what are you waiting for?" Nick patted his friend playfully in the back, "Race you out again." The teen was doing his best to muster all the strength he could get.

"Ok great."

Brian smiled widely as he took up the competition with Nick. Once out of sight for anyone to watch Nick winced. For some strange reason every move hurt his stomach really bad and it was making him dizzy. He wished he had the strength to tell them how bad he really felt and that there was more than one time he thought about backing out and instead go and tell Mrs Littrell how bad he was. Yet he stopped his actions. Both Brian and Kevin seemed thrilled and they were making up the rules outside, making teams. He walked, slightly hunched over to the rest of the guys.

"Great there you are," Kevin said as he saw the teen" We thought you'd backed out." The tone was light, but the eyes were concerned. The older man suspected something and Nick decided to take away his suspicion.

"You think I would MISS a game?" He laughed, " Well I am gonna beat your asses!" Nick made the winner gesture which had Brian laughing too.

"That the spirit! We’re gonna beat you all soooo much!" He laid his arm around Nick's shoulders. "Come on Frack let’s show these losers who's in charge." He gestured with his thumb towards his cousins.

His friend responded with a wide grin. Nick was a good actor, an excellent one and this time the acting lessons that his mother so expensively had paid for, was paying off. It took all his strength not to double over since the pain ripped his stomach into half and he was starting to become afraid that he would explode soon.

"Save some of that energy," Kevin chuckled, "You are going to be on MY team!"

"Sure Kev," Brian said as he ran to stand in position. Nick on the other hand wasn't thrilled at all. The pain cut like a knife when he was moving and cold sweat broke out on his forehead. He walked, slightly limping from the pain over to his position and stood there waiting for the game to start. Even if it felt like he would pass out every move he made he still kept going strong. It was clear that neither of his band mates were very happy with his effort at all.

"Nick!" Brian yelled, "You have to look where the ball is. Waaaaaatcchhhh iiiiitt" The Kentuckian was usually rather calm, unless it came to someone accusing him of something OR playing ANY kind of game! He was a winner down to his toes and nothing could upset Brian more than a badly thrown ball.

" NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCKKKKK" His brothers yelled when he dropped yet another ball on the ground. He wanted to cry, wanted to sit down and tell them how bad he felt. That he couldn't stand this pain any longer. Yet he continued, biting his lips from pain. If there was something he was. It was being stubborn and there was no way he was going to give up because of a small case of the stomach flu or even worse; a pulled muscle.

The guys were totally into the game and they yelled at him to block Kevin's brother. He made a move for it when a deafening pain shot through his stomach. The stomach was on fire! Still he pushed himself. Pushing over the limit like he had done so many times performing. Giving away every ounce of energy. Sometimes when he was performing he was so tired, totally worn out like a washed out dishrag, afterwards and he wanted to do nothing else but sleep. Somehow he always managed to catch back again and minutes later he would be up greeting the fans. His own thoughts had drifted away again and were abruptly interrupted by Kevin yelling.

NIIIIICCCKKKK, takeeee thissss oneeee."

He saw the ball coming against him. Then it happened in slow motion. Trying to catch the ball he ran the fastest as he could towards it, noticing that Harold was making a dive for that one. Brian, seeing that his friend wouldn't make it also made a dive for the ball. Nick felt his hand on the ball and was about to grab it when he also felt Brian's body crash into him, sending him down on the ground. The movement, combined with the impact sent a wave of pain through his body. Tears welled up in his eyes and streamed down his cheeks as he protectively held his hands around his stomach. Crawling up to a ball he whimpered. The sounds around him suddenly felt surreal and far in distance.

" Frack, Frack!" Brian's voice was the last thing he heard before everything went black and he sank into oblivion.