- Text Size +
Downtime - Chapter 16

"Complications?"


Brian felt like his whole world froze. What kind of complications? What had happened? Was Nick very sick?


Even if he didn't wanted to, the thought crossed his mind that the worst had happened, that he died. But then why did the doctor look so cheerful and also said that he was doing fine? The mixed thoughts made him feel confused and scared. Like in slow motion he watched how his mother was talking to the doctor. Her mouth moved, but he didn't make out what she was saying. Much too wrapped up in his own feeling and thoughts.


"Yes, Nickolas' appendix had burst causing a severe infection called Petronis. Puss has filled his stomach causing him to spike quite a fever. We managed to drain him but he gave us quite a scare when he went into shock and later respiratory failure.”

Gasps could be heard in the room while they were taking in the news. “Oh,” Mrs Littrell uttered, holding up a hand to her mouth in sheer shock. Brian and Kevin who were standing next to her were both very pale and withdrawn.

"There is no need to worry," the doctor said, smiling reassuringly, "Young Nickolas is strong and I’m positive that he will come out of this without any further problems since he is stable right now and he will soon breath on his own again.”

“Breathe on his own?” Kevin asked visibly shocked. “Isn’t he breathing?”

“Yes but we put him on a respirator for the time being in order to help his breathing a little better. But Nickolas is making progress and if he continues in this pace we can take out the respirator tomorrow.” There was still silence in the room and the doctor scratched his beard, “We also put him on antibiotics to fight off the infection and he will also be monitored until he is even more stable.”

“More stable?” Brian questioned, “But you told us he was stable already!” Mrs Littrell gave her son a warning eye.

“Yes but we want to take all precautions in case...” The doctor sounded really tired at once.

“In case? In case what?” This time his mother uttered, “Brian!” and he stopped himself.

“That’s ok,” The doctor said lightly, “I can understand that you have questions but if you excuse me I have to get going.” He gestured with his thumb towards the door, “I have another surgery to perform but wanted to share the information with you before I tended to that.”

“That’s very kind of you Doctor,” Mrs Littrell smiled. "Can we go and see him?" Kevin asked.

"Unfortunately I have to say no. He is still unconscious and I suggest that you wait until he regains consciousness."


"Please," Brian begged.


With a deep sigh the doctor said, " OK, but you can't stay for long." Turning to Jackie he said,”I’ll take it that you are his mother?"


"No," she shook her head, "his parents are in Europe right now, Germany, but he is here in Lexington visiting my son and our family over Thanksgiving."


"Yeah and some Thanksgiving," Brian muttered, getting his mother’s eyes on him. "I'm sorry."


"But his parents have been informed?"


"They are as we speak," Jackie said, looking the doctor sternly in his eyes. "Meanwhile I’ll be Nick's guardian."


"Hhmmm," the doctor didn’t look too pleased and he was about to say something when his beeper suddenly went off, "I’m sorry," he said apologizing, looking to see who had called him, "I have to go. Emergency."


"But we can see Nick then?" Brian pressed on, not wanting to let the topic go.


A bit hesitatingly the doctor said, "Ye..Yes, I guess that it is ok to do so. He is currently situated in ICU so go to the front desk there and ask for Mr. Carter. If there is any trouble just tell them that Dr. Burns gave you permission to see him"


"That we will do," Jackie felt grateful, taking the doctor's hand she continue, "Thank you."


Briefly the doctor smiled, "It’s my job."


As soon as they were alone the questions and feelings started coming to them. Kevin, who had been unnaturally quiet said, "Should we be going down to ICU then?" He was used to taking charge and had practiced this many times before in the Backstreet Boys.


With that they left to go to visit Nick.


If Brian felt scared when he heard about Nick going through the wringer, it was nothing compared to the feeling he had when he saw his friend laying there on the hospital bed, pale as a ghost, machines attached to him. The room over at ICU was silent and next to Nick’s bed sat a young black nurse reading a magazine. As soon as the crowd entered the room she looked up with a small nod.


"How is he doing?" Jackie asked the nurse who didn’t look like she was much older than her own sons. Not waiting for any response, she walked over to the bed, "Still unconscious?"


"Yes, but we expect him to wake up pretty soon."


Feeling Nick's forehead Jackie continued, "He is very warm."


”Yes. He is running a temperature." The nurse stood up to adjust the IV bag.


"Is he in any pain?" Brian asked, biting his nails, a bad habit that often surfaced when he was either bored or nervous. Today it was the latter.


"Not right now," the nurse shook her head," But when he wakes up there will be some pain." She arranged his IV line and then stroked Nick’s forehead briefly to check if his temperature had risen.


"Aha." Brian nodded.


Kevin said nothing, feeling lost and uncomfortable. Neither of the cousins liked hospitals, mainly since they had bad encounters in their past. Brian, running in and out of hospitals was a good part of his childhood, and Kevin loosing his father to cancer a few years back. Even if he knew that Nick was doing fine, he still felt unsure what to do. Kevin had never been good at dealing with sick people, although he was learning by the hour. It scared him, since they reminded him how fragile life could be.


Sitting down on the chair next to the bed, Jackie frowned with concern, "I can take over sitting here for a while."


The nurse showed genuine gratitude. "You will do that? That would be great since I have other patients to attend too."


"Yes, I know Nick and I think he will feel much safer when he wakes up with me by his side."


"You can call on this button," the nurse nodded towards the small white button on the side of the bed "If there is anything that you want or when he wakes up."


"I will do that," Jackie smiled friendly as the nurse left the room. Turning to Brian and Kevin she said, "There is no need for you two to be here. Brian call dad so he comes and picks you up. I will be here with Nickolas for a little while."


Brian started to object but Kevin was fast to cut in, "Yes auntie, we’ll do that." Tugging his cousin on his sleeve he said, "Come on let's call Uncle Harold."


"No, I want to be here with Nick. He needs me.” Brian said with force in his voice. "I promised him I'd be there for him."


"Honey, I know," Jackie sighed, being the understanding mother that she was. "Nick will be in a bit of pain when he wakes up so he won’t be able to talk to you. I’m sure that he will be much happier if you will be here for him later when he is feeling better again." Smiling to the two young men she continued, "Go home now and I’ll call you as soon as there are some changes."


Once again Brian was about to object when Kevin cut in, "Yes you are right." Turning to the younger man he said, "Let's go, maybe Harry can pick us up"


"Ok." Brian wasn’t happy but he knew that there was no point in arguing with his mother when she was in a mood like that. "But promise to call me as soon as he wakes up."


"I’ll do that." Jackie reassured them all.


"Ok then see you later," With that they left.


***************************************************************************


It felt like he was floating. All warm and fuzzy he did his best to grip the situation but all the thoughts were jumbling around making it impossible to think straight. Instantly he couldn’t say that he felt uncomfortable since the pain that he had felt for so long was gone. 'Thank God,' his first thought was, struggling to wake up. The more he regained consciousness the more he was aware of something stuck in his throat that was blocking his airways, making it hard for him to breathe properly.


The warm feeling was replaced with panic. Sheer panic. They were killing him! Gagging involuntary, his body tried to get rid of what was blocking him, making the situation even more unbearable.


He tried to scream.


No sounds were coming out of his mouth, just gagging sounds and for a moment he feared that he was all alone in the world. That they had left him here to die. Tears pricked his eyes and if it wasn’t for the soft angelic voice that told him that everything would be fine, he would have lost it.


"Hush honey, don’t fight it." The voice belonged to a female and it was warm and comforting. "Relax."


He tried to say something, but that thing up his throat was making him gag again. And then he coughed. Hard. Trying to get rid of the blockage. Coughing several times he found out that it was no use. The device didn’t move. Tears started to run down his cheeks. It was choking him.


"Oh honey," the voice whispered gently and a hand was wiping away his tears, "I know it is uncomfortable, but its helping you breathe."


Confused, eyes still closed, Nick was trying to take in the situation. His head was full of cotton and it was making him dizzy. 'Who was this person? And why did they want to choke him?"


"Try to relax, let the machine do the job," the angelic voice continued. Coaching him. "Take deep breaths. Yes, there you go Nick."


He did as the voice said and soon found out that the voice was right. The more relaxed he felt, the better he breathed, and the less he panicked. And soon the cotton feeling wrapped him up like a soft warm blanket. Just when he was on the verge of falling back asleep some pretty disturbing thoughts popped up in his head.


Why didn’t he hurt? Where was the pain that had him so tight in its claws for such a long time? Had he finally died and was up in the clouds with God?


Nick didn’t know if he believed in God, but still he often had a feeling that there was something so much bigger than he ever knew. He often felt surrounded by angels, and whenever he was scared or grateful for something he turned to God. It was more out of habit than anything else.


He had to see once and for all if it was really an angel talking to him so with that in mind he tried to open his eyelids. They were so heavy and his eyes were so full of sand that he wanted to close them immediately. But before he shut them again he saw a pair of warm chestnut brown eyes looking back at him, and a friendly smile. The person in front of him held so much comfort and love that he instantly knew that it was an angel even if she was strangely like Brian's Mom.


The fever combined with the heavy pain medication didn’t let him think clear and he became more and more convinced. It was true. He had died and gone to heaven!


'That object he had in his mouth was probably something so that he could breathe up here in the clouds,' he decided disoriented. Debating with himself he came to the conclusion that at least he hadn’t gone to hell, even if Donna Wright their manager had told him that he was evil because of all those pranks. She had even told him once that he would rot in hell. That time he had just given her an innocent gum that tasted like fish. Or more explicit the innards of the fish!


He mused to himself.


"Sweetie," the angel asked kindly "What are you smiling at?"


Nick felt even more confused. Weren’t angels supposed to read minds? And in that case why did he have to answer such a stupid question? Since that thing was still down his throat, preventing him from answering, he just shook his head. The angel wouldn’t understand anyway. Besides he was too afraid to tell her about that fish trick since she would then definitely find out what a prankster he was, and he would get a one way ticket. To a much hotter destination!


"Try to get some sleep. You will feel better when you wake up again. Much better."


Was that a promise? How could he feel any better than he did right now? Nick felt confused. But there was no way he was going to object to that. Not to the words of an angel. After all he was in heaven!