- Text Size +
Downtime- Chapter 2

” Nick, Nick, come on, Get up,” Brian nudged his friends side, trying to coax him out of the plane seat, “ We’ve landed now.” Getting no response he stood up to take down the luggage from the compartment. Glancing down he saw that Nick sat in the same position, eyes closed, lips pursed. Pale and sweaty he held the armrest in a death grip. It had been a rough landing since it was hurricane season and they felt the effects from a recent storm touching Kentucky.


It was more than one time Nick had chanted like a mantra “ I will make it, I will make it.” On top of it he had gotten airsick too and Brian felt sorry for Nick to having to endure this discomfort every time they went on a trip.


“ How is he doing? Kevin asked, nodding with his head towards the blonde.


“ Not so good,” Brian shook his head as he made another attempt to get Nick’s attention, “ Dude, we’re here..here in Kentucky.” The words most have been coming through as there was a jerk.


“ Oh sorry,” he mumbled, as he tiredly rubbed his face. “ I most have spaced out.”


“ We thought you had passed out,” Brian joked, “ Come on, mom and dad are waiting.”


“ Ok,” with a small moan Nick stood up, shaking one leg, “ I think it fell asleep,” he mumbled a bit apologetic as he “happened” to kick Kevin who waited for the two boys to pass through the aisle.


“ Sure,” the dark haired man wasn’t buying it, but he let it go. Nick is a bit of a klutz, bumping into things and falling all the time.


“ You have your bag?” Brian questioned.


A small nod. “ Yeah.”


“ Ok you’re ready then?”


Another nod, then Nick stopped, “ Wait,” he said as he hurried down to his seat again.


“ What is it now?” Kevin asked a bit irritated. In his opinion the teen was stalling them one too many times and there was always something that Nick forgot wherever he was. Brian on the other hand waited patiently.


“ I forgot this,” Nick waved his CD player, and then rushed down the aisle to the others again.


“ Fine. You’re all set now?” Kevin asked.


“ Yeah, I am, let’s go.” With that signal they walked out of the plane. It was a bit chilly outside. Also dark, it was already night when they arrived after sitting in plane for more than 15 hours. It felt good to finally get to stretch their legs.


Brian was looking forward so much to meeting his family. He hadn’t gotten to meet them for over a month and he looked forward to his stay. Kevin also looked forward to this as well as meeting his girlfriend Kristin who he had been dating on and off for the past 5 years. Nick was the one that was most reserved. It felt a bit strange not going home over Thanksgiving and instead going to stay at Brian’s. Not that he had anything against it, no to the contrary, but home is always home no matter what.


They had landed in Covington, about one and a half hour drive from Lexington.


“ It will be so good to meet the folks again,” Kevin said as they were waiting for their luggage to arrive. Brian nodded. Nick said nothing. He felt a bit dazed and jet lag had started to kick in. That he had spent the better part of the ride with his head in a brown paper bag and that didn’t exactly make him feel any better. But he was starting to feel better as the time passed. After the guys had picked up their luggage they walked to the waiting area.


“ Mom, Dad,” Brian called out as he saw his parents standing there, waiting for them to arrive. Kevin’s mom Ann was also there and both of the boys hastened their pace.


“ Brian!” Jackie called out as she embraced her youngest son with a warm hug. There were tears in their eyes as they looked at each other.


“ I missed you so much, mom,” Brian whispered.


“ Me too,” Jackie’s voice was thick with emotion.


“ Hello son,” Brian’s dad greeted and gave Brian a hug too. “ Welcome home.”


“ Hey dad,” Brian grinned widely.


A bit further up Nick stood, watching the scenario through his bangs. He felt so alone and bit back the tears that were starting to form in his blue eyes. There was a mixture of emotions. Happiness for Brian, but also sadness for himself. He smiled nervously, fidgeting with the handle on the suitcase.


Being the wise woman that Jackie was she pulled herself out of her sons hug and set her steps towards the lost teen, “ Hello Nick,” she greeted him as she gave him a warm and welcome hug, “ We’re so happy that you’re coming to stay with us.”


“ Thank you. Mrs Littrell,” Nick said as politely as he could. His mother had taught him to always be polite in situations like this. He felt a bit embarrassed, but it felt good to get a hug. Brian’s mom felt safe and comforting. “ I’m glad to be here.”


“ Oh call me Jackie,” she said with a smile, looking at the boy she continued, “ That thing most be heavy, let Harold help you.” She gestured towards his suitcase.


“ Good day Nick,” A dark voice said. Harold was standing there, “ Welcome.”


“ Thank you Mr Littrell.”


“ Harold to you,” the older man raised his eyebrows, “ That thing sure looks heavy.” He made an attempt to take the suitcase, “ Here let me take it.”


“ No, no I can manage,” Nick mumble, not wanting to cause any problems.


“ Son, I’m not that old.” Harold joked and Brian laughed, “ Not yet anyway.”


“ Huh?” Nick didn’t follow the line as Harold patted the blonde on his shoulder, “ It’s ok, and I’ll take it.”


“ Ok, Oh.”


“ Hey Brian and Nick,” Kevin’s mom had come up to talk to them. “ I’m so happy that you’re going to celebrate Thanksgiving with us.” She smiled.


“ Yeah, he will meet my aunts and uncles and..” Brian started as he grinned, “ Really, really fun.”


“ Don’t mock your relatives.” Harold said in a strict tone, just to smile the other second, “ But you’re right, there are more fun things to do.”


“ So are you all ready,” Kevin asked impatiently.


“ My, my , you’re in a hurry.” Ann smiled.


“ Yeah well I’m fed up with airports,” Kevin informed.


“ Is that all?” Ann whispered something to Jackie and they laughed together.


Brian caught the situation, “ Why do I get an impression that a certain blonde girl is the reason why you want to get out of this place?” He grinned.


“ Aww shut up,” Kevin commented a bit irritated.


“ Kevin, that is no way to talk.” Ann scolded.


“ Sorry mom.”


Nick smiled. It was fun to see how Kevin turned into a kitten in his mothers embrace. This sent a glare back from the Kentuckian.


“ We better get going then,” Ann said, patting her son’s arm, “ Kristin is waiting.” Kevin got something dreaming in his face and soon they rushed away.


“ That boy is soooo in luuuv,” Jackie chuckled, “ Ann told me that he calls to her almost every day.” Both Brian and Nick grinned. Now they had more material to joke around with Kevin about.


“ I have the car upfront,” Brian’s dad commented as he picked up the suitcases.


“ Good, then lets get home.” Brian said, “ I long to get to sleep in my own bed. Those hotels beds are not comfortable at all”


Jackie frowned, “ Are you sure that Mr Pearlman and the Wrights takes good care of you? I think you’ve lost weight. “ She looked concerned, “ Both of you.”


“ Mom,” Brian laughed, “ We’re fine.”


“ No,” Mrs Littrell shook her head slowly, “ You two need to be fattened up, but don’t you worry I will make sure that you get some old fashioned food, especially you young man.” She looked sternly at Nick.


The teen fidgeted. It felt strange walking with Brian’s parents, not bad just different.


“ You look tired,” Jackie commented as she took a good look at the boys, “ Was it a good flight? Did you get any food?”


“ Jackie,” Harold interrupted her, “ Leave the boys be, you’re asking them too many questions.” He smiled.


“ Oh hon, you know how happy I am to have my son back home again.” Jackie slapped her husband’s arm playfully. Nick noticed that they looked like a happy old couple that had been through thick and thin.


“ Yes Mom,” Brian answered dutifully, “ It was a pretty good flight, a bit rocky from time to time." There was no need to upset his parents with telling them that Nick had been motion sick almost the whole trip. “ And yes we had some plane food.” His mom was always so concerned over his health and he also knew that she thought that no one was really taking care of the fifteen-year-old either.


“ Good, you need to take care of yourself. Especially you Brian, who has a weak heart.”


“ MOM!” Brian sounded a bit annoyed and Nick smiled. “ There is nothing wrong with my heart.”


“ I know, I know,” she held up a hand for defense. “ I ask too many questions.” She looked at her husband with a smile and then said to Nick, “ I’m a real mother hen.”


“ Ok,” Nick didn’t know what to say. This was a different situation for him. His own parents never showed this much concern, unless there was a reporter nearby. Suddenly he felt very tired. A headache had been luring ever since they landed, ready to strike. It looked like it had found it’s opportunity and now the legs felt like lead. The bag he was carrying over his shoulder felt like it was packed with bricks. He wavered slightly and instantly Mr. Littrell was there to straighten him up.


“ You feel all right?” he asked a bit concerned. Jackie instantly looked at the teen, with a frown.


Nick shrugged, “ Yeah, just a bit tired.” He blushed.


“ Oh..yes you have been up so long,” Jackie put her hand to her mouth, “ That is right. As soon as we come to the house I’m making you something to eat and then you’re off to bed.”


“ Mom,” Brian had a habit of often starting a sentence with Mom, mainly because they were so close to each other, “ We’ve slept on the plane. Don’t worry.”


“ Ok this is it,” Harold announced as they were at the Silver Buick Century 77. He set the suitcases down.


“ Dad, you’re still driving that thing? Didn’t you get the money I sent you?”


“ There is nothing wrong with this car. She maybe old and ugly, but she purrs like a kitten.” Harold patted the Buick like it was a treasure.


“ Yeah right,” Brian muttered. Turning to Nick he whispered, “ Dad is hopeless.”


“ Ok.” Nick knew that he didn’t talk much but to tell the truth he felt a bit off. Jetlag was starting to kick in and his stomach felt a bit funny. Could have something to do with not eating much since they departed Germany. It was also a bit chilly and he shivered slightly.


Jackie noticed this at once, “ Nick you’re cold?”


“ A bit.” He stuck his hands into his jeans pockets.


“ Well jump into the car and we’ll turn the heater on. There is no use to stand outside, freezing son” Harold said as he put the suitcases in the luggage compartment. Brian opened the car door and he sat down. Nick went to the other side. As they were seated ready to go Harold announced, “ Buckle up and get ready for the great ride.” He laughed knowing that he was known for being a real turtle when it came to driving.


“ Now you will go for a fast ride,” Brian whispered sarcastically to Nick who smiled. A bit pale. His headache was slowly escalating and now there were no question about it. Queasiness had accompanied it.


Turning on the fan, blasting hot air into the car Jackie asked, “ Are you guys good back there?”


“ Yes Mom,” Brian sounded tired as he closed his eyes, willing himself to sleep.


“ Nick?” She looked over her shoulder at their guest.


“ Yes Mrs Li..I mean Jackie,” Nick corrected as the older woman raised an eyebrow.


“ That is better,” she smiled.


Harold started to fidget with the radio station and soon country music filled the car. They had a little less than 2 hour before they would arrive at the Littrell house that was out by the countryside. The boys had always joked with Brian that he was a farm boy, which was not really true since Mr Littrell worked with computers. Mrs Littrell was a housewife.


“ Harold has missed you too.” Jackie informed her son. Harold was Brian’s brother. He was 24 and worked at a factory.


“ Is he still going out with Ann?” Brian asked, opening his eyes. Ann was Harold’s sweetheart that he had been dating on and off ever since high school, senior year.


“ No,” Jackie shook her head, “ I wish he would settle down with some one soon and not date around so much. It can’t be healthy.”


Nick smiled smug. That was some words that their friend AJ would need to listen too. He was having more girlfriends than anyone could tell. They had lost count a long time ago


“ I’m sure that he will settle down soon,” Brian grinned.


“ I hope so,” Brian’s mom sighed.


“ Jackie!” Harold reminded her, “ The boys are tired and need to get some rest you can talk with them later.”


“ Oh..I´m so sorry,” she blushed slightly, “ I´m talking too much. Now go head and rest.”


“ Okaaaay mooooom,” the last syllable in the word was dragged out as Brian had already taken up the quest of resting. He yawned loudly, “ Sorry.” Closing his eyes he soon fell asleep.


Nick wished he could follow the same example and he would have done that if his head hadn’t hurt so much. He also felt a bit motion sick but didn’t want to tell the Littrells that he needed to sit up front. That would be too rude, so instead he suffered in silence.