- Text Size +
Downtime- Chapter 3

After traveling for a while Nick was starting to feel very uncomfortable. It was warm and stuffy in the car and he wished that they could turn the heater down. The sound of Kenny Rogers and the Littrells small talking up front wouldnīt have been so bad if he didnīt feel so crummy. Infact it would have been rather cozy.


As the miles taxed along he was getting more and more queasy. Swallowing he tried to will himself to feel better. After the terrible planeride he was sure that there were not much left in his stomach and he prayed that he wouldnīt be in for another round. He didnīt want to be an nuisiance. When the nausea didnīt go away he felt desperate.


“ Brian, Brian,” he mumbled, nudge his sleeping friends arm, gently.


“ Mpf..mrhhmph..” Brian was a heavy sleeper and he did no signs of waking up.


“ Frick,” he called out a bit louder. This time shaking him to get his attention. The nausea was not getting any better, quite the oposite and it was escalating with a frightening rate.


“ Mpf..ye..yes?” The voice was rusty as he tried to find his bearings.


“ Brian, I donīt feel too good,” Nick whispered with a weak voice, afraid that Brians parents would hear anything. That would be too embarrressing.


“ Wha..whatīs the matter?” Brian opened his eyes, peering into a pale face, shone up by the street lights.


“ I feel sick.”


“ You do?” Now the Kentuckian sat up straighter in his seat, suddenly clear awake.


Nick nodded.


“ You want me to ask dad to stop the car?” Brian felt concerned and he mentally debated weather or not he should tell his mom about Nicks condition. The fifteen year old had a green sheen over his face and he was sweating profously.


“ I donīt kn..know,” The tone was shaky and this had Brian pick up his attention. Without asking any further he tapped his fathers shoulder. He had seen his friend in situations like this before and you could never be to careful.


“ Dad?”


“ Yes son?” Harald asked as he turned down the volume.


“ Brian? I thought you were asleep,” his mother said a bit surprised.


“ I was,” Brian said lightly, “ Dad I need you to stop the car.”


“ What? Here and now?”


“ Whatīs the matter. Are you feeling sick?” there were concerned in his mothers voice.


Nick on the other hand sat with his eyes closed, he was swallowing constantly as bile burned down his throat. His eyes and mouth was watering. A safe sign that he would soon get sick. All he wished was to stop the car so he could get outside and breathe some fresh air.


“ No. Not me. Nick does.”


A moan was heard from the back as the sick teen held his hand over his mouth, gagging in the process. Turning at his friends direction he saw the urgency. “ Dad, stop the car. NOW!” His father most have sensed the desperation as he stepped on the breaks. The tire screeched as the car came into a rough jolt.


Fumbeling with the door handle with one hand Nick tried to get outside. In his hurry he forgot the seatbelt and as he stumbled out he tangled himself up in it. Coming to his aide Brian helped him out of the snarle as he made outside. Not a moment too soon. He only managed a few steps away from the car as he let go off what was bothering him, spilling it on the gravel.


Jackie Littrell opened the door, rushing out to the sick teen. Nick tried to shield away, feeling too embarressed being caught in a situation like this. “ So-sorry,” he croaked in between the heaves.


“ Oh baby. Donīt worry. Itīs fine..just concentrate and let it out. Donīt fight it” she mumbled, as she held his forehead. It felt comforting and he felt grateful for this. She whispered over and over again, as she stroked his hair, “ Itīs ok, itīs ok.” Nick groaned as another bout overtook his body. It hurt since he had almost nothing to throw up. Jackie looked at him with compassion. “ I know,” she whispered, “ It hurts, but you feel better when itīs over.”




“ Harold,” Jackie called out after a little while.


“ Yes honey?” Brian and his dad was watching the scenario unfold from the car.


“ There are some tissues in the compartment. Bring that to me, please.”


“ Ok,” Harold opened the compartement and was about to leave when Brian said, “ Iīll do it.” With that he walked over to his mom and “little brother”. Nick sat hunched, head hung low, eyes closed. He had turned his back towards the mess he had created on the roadside. His mom was still stroking his friends back with smooth circle moves.


“ You think youīre done?” she asked softly.


Nick nodded, “ m’ sorry.”


“ Shhh,” she comforted him, “ That can happend to anyone. The main thing is that you feel better.” She stroked his sweatsoaked hair.


“ Here mom,” Brian said quietly as he handed the pack of tissues to her.


“ Thank you honey. Tell dad that we will be there soon.”


“ Ok,” Turning to Nick he said, “ Youīre gonna be allright? Frack.”


“ Mhm..” Nick belched.


“ You feel sick again?” Jackie asked as she saw the teen spitting on the ground. Brian walked away, shaking his head. He couldnīt deny that he felt glad that he was being able to leave and go back to the car. His mom was handing the task with flying colors.


“ Eh..huh..nah..I think I can manage.” He said as he swallowed hard. This was incredible embarressing and he wanted to sink through earth. There couldnīt be any worse than getting carsick infront of Brians parents.


“ Ok,” She opened the pack of tissues, handing him one, “ Here honey, take a tissue and wipe your mouth. Iīm going to see if we have anything for you to drink so you get that nasty taste out of your mouth.” She stood up, leaving Nick cleaning himself up. Moments later she was back with a bottle of water.


“ Here take this and swirl it around in your mouth and spit. Donīt swallow.”


Nodding Nick took a mouthful and did as Jackie said. Instantly he started to feel better. “ Iīm fine now,” he murmured as he tried to stand on shaky legs.


“ Good, think youīre fine enough to walk back to the car?” she asked, supporting him by holding her hands on his shoulders. Nick was shivering badly and this had Jackie a tad concerned. She thought nothing of it as they reached the car.


“ Son, Why didnīt you tell us you were carsick?” Harold asked. Displeased with his blunt out question Jackie mouthed in the background for him to hush up. Too weak to answer , Brian jumped in with an explanation.


“ He doesnīt get it all time. “ Nick has been motionsick the whole plane ride and Iīll guess his equiliberium wasnīt ready for one of your drives, dad.” It was meant like a joke since his father was a very careful driver. Harald chuckled.


Nick raised his eyebrows, Where had Brian learnt such a difficult word. Not in the group that was for sure. He didnīt have time to think about it as Jackie said,“ I think itīs safe that you sit here upfront,” Nick did as he was told.


Harold turned to him, " Donīt worry son, we should be at our house in no time."


" Yeah man, youīre gonna be ok?" Brian was as concerned as the rest of them. The difference was that he had seen the teen in this situation many times, too many and therefore didnīt fuss so much. Besides his friend could be spoiled.


“ I feel better already,” he said as he closed his eyes. Cool air blasted against his face and the nausea had finally drowned down.


“ That is good. If you feel sick again, just let us know. We will soon be home so you can rest” Jackie said as she helped Nick fasten his seatbelt.


“ Aha... Thanks.” Even tough he felt as lousy as could be, combined with being embarressed it still felt good. He had never in his life been more taking care off and Jackies warm and helping hand had been a great support.


" That is so little," Mrs Littrell said as she smiled a warmly.


It had started off bad, but as you say it can only get better. Couldnīt it?