- Text Size +
Downtime -Chapter 5

The dream faded away and Nick stirred in his restless sleep. A nice scent of newly baked ginger rolls lingered in the room and assulted his nostrils. Slowly he was coming to his senses and moved.


He was laying on something hard. The first thought was that he was in one of those cheap hotel rooms that Lou always seems to find. As he opened his eyes he became more and more aware if that he was laying on the floor. At first he didnīt recognize his surroundings but as the cowebs slowly cleared up he remembered that he was at Brian’s parents house.


There was something heavy and warm on his back and as he pulled it closer he recognized that it was a check pleated wool blanket. Snuggeling in it he closed his eyes again, since his body had no intentions of getting up. Jetlag combined with having a too hectic schedule was starting to catch up with him. Last month they had been on a 10 country tour in South East Asia and he never got any chance to rest up.


Suddenly he opened his eyes with a jerk. Why was he lying on a floor? A bit disoriented he sat up, rubbing his eyes. Yep he WAS on a floor. Beside him lay the remote control to his Nintendo and he blushed slightly. Oh no! He had fallen asleep in a foreign house. This was no good. Slowly it all came back to him and he felt even more embarressed. He remebered the drive back home and winced at the motionsickness he had endured. Then he remebered how Jackie had been there for him,comforing him and he blushed even more. It was bad that Brian’s mom saw him spewing his guts out, but it was even worse that he had fallen asleep in the living room.


What would they think of him?


The sun shone in through the window and he shivered slightly,only wearing a pair of navy blue Backstreet briefs and a white T-shirt. A pressing matter made him aware that he couldnīt hide in here for ever. There were rustling and movement in the kitchen and he could hear Brian’s mom singing as she did her chores. Now he knew where Brian had got his angelic voice from. Speaking about his friend Brian was in the hallway talking and laughing to someone.


With a sigh he stood up, blanket falling to the floor. It had been a bad idea sleeping down here and his joints were sore. Stretching the aching limbs he he dragged his feet sleepily towards the hallway. He was instantly met with Brian who grinned widely as he saw the blonde making an entrance.”Nintendo freak,” he mouthed as he turned back to the phone. Nick grinned too as he walked into the bathroom, tending to his morning duties.


After putting on a pair of black Nike trainerpants he walked into the kitchen, stomach growling from hunger. Brian had stopped talking on the phone and he and his mom were small talking. Nick hesitated for a moment before stepping inside.


“Yeah Mom, they want me to come to a reunion on Friday.Think that I should go?” the young man asked as he spread peanutbutter on a toast.


“That would be great.” Jackie said as she pulled out another pan from the owen. The kitchen was filled with scent of baking and she wiped her hands off on her napkin.


“ Aha..itīs been so long since I got a chance to meet up with Tom and Bob and the rest of the gang.” He stopped like he was searching for what to say next, “ You donīt think that Nick would be offended do you? If I went out?”


“ No,” Jackie smiled, “ Iīm sure he would understand. Donīt worry we will look after him.”


Nick had pricked up his ears when his own name was mentioned. So Brian wanted to go out without him? Even if he understood he still felt a hint of jelaousy. He felt left out!


“ That would be great, mom.” Brian lit up, “ Schedule can be really rough on him and sometimes I worry about Nick.”


“ Yes dear I understand,” Jackie said, “ This business is tough and Nick is a sensitive soul.”


“ Thanks mom for letting him stay here,” Brian said as he poured milk into a glass.” His family is much too busy with his little brother’s career.”


Nick narrowed his eyes. Why were they talking about him? What business did they have discussing his private life? He felt anger flare up inside him and instead fled up the stairs. Not staying long enough to hear the rest of the conversation.


“ Iīm sure that they care for him, itīs just that itīs hard having several children and manage to be there for each and everyone. Besides I “ Brians mom as she looked at the hallway, “ I thought I heard something.”


“ Probably just Missy.” Brian said refering to the cat. He looked at his watch, “ But Nick is really taking his time at the bathroom. I hope heīll hurry so I get to show him Lexington, you know my high school and all.”


“ That would be great dear.” Jackie opened the owen, murmering to herself,” I hope this Pecan nut pie turns out good.” She was busy baking all kind of goodies for the Thanksgiving table.


“ Ma, Iīm going to see what is taking him so long,” Brian stood up, grabbing a slice of cheese in the process, stuffing it into his mouth.


“ Well tell Nick that he can come down and eat breakfast or should we say lunch.” Jackie smiled as she looked at the clock on the wall. It was soon noon, lunch time and they had let Nick sleep in late since the kid had seemed so tired last night.


Brian was in for a real surprise when no one was in the bathroom. With a frown he went upstairs. Opening the door to his room he found the person he was searching for dressed on the bed. Back against the door.


“ Frack?” he called out as he moved over to his friend. “ Frack?” The voice was a bit harder as there was no movement.


Still nothing. His sense told him that the teen wasnīt sleeping and instead had the same crooked position like he always had when something upset him.


“Nick?” Brian could swear that he heard a sob. What was this? Was Nick crying? He laid a hand on his friends back. Another sob was heard. Yep he was definitly crying. “ Whatīs the matter?”


“No..Nothing,” Nick mumbled, not too convincing.


Brian wasnīt satisfield.” Yes there is.”


The teen made no further comment to that and instead said, “ I have a headache, B’rok. Go away.”


“ You do?” Brian raised an eyebrow, “Youīre sick?”


“ No.”


“But you have a headache?” Brian questioned.


“ Yes.” He was only getting short answers out from the teen.


“ You want me to get you some Tylenol?” Brian asked as he tried to turn Nick around so he could see what was the matter with him. He didnīt press any further on while he was crying. Mainly beacuse if Nick didnīt want to talk there were no one, Brian included, that could get him to say anything. Second was that he was often so moody and could blow up for the smallest reason. They had all learned to live with this, even if it was hard. But it came with adolecence.


Nick shook his head. “ Nah I didnīt sleep very well last night.”


Brian smiled. “ No but you managed to score rather high points on the game last night.”


Nick blushed, “ Eh..uh.” He had stopped sobbing and wiped the tears with the back of his hand.


“ S’okay,” Brian said as he gave his friend a pat on the back, “ Youīre ready for breakfast? Mom made some delecious ginger rolls.”


Upon hearing food mentioned, Nick rolled to his side, “ Yeah..uh..I..Iīm actually pretty hungry.”


“ No shit?” Brian smiled, “ You havenīt eaten anything for like..like I donīt know, since we left Stuttgart.” He wasnīt counting the small meal that they had when they had arrived last day.


Nick sighed.


“ You’re feeling tired and jet lagged?” Brian continued.


“ A bit.You?”


“ Aha;”...hrm Frack?” Brian cleared his voice, “ You wanna come with me and see downtown.You know I can show you where I went to high school and stuff.”


Nick looked up, still a bit red eyed, “ Sure.” He didnīt sound too intererested.


Brians eyes gleamed, “ Well I can show you where I snogged Susan Flether in seventh grade.”


The blondes eyes lit up, “ Ok..cool.”


“ Well get your ass ready then,” Brian stood up to let Nick up.


“Ok,” He grinned too as Brian ruffled his hair.


“ Come on kiddo,” And with that they were out of the room.