- Text Size +
Downtime -Chapter 6

It was a chilly Wednesday in the end of November. The air was high, but it was beautiful with the sun shining on the colourful leaves on the ground. Brian was in heaven when he walked down the streets. Lexington was a quiet small town and most of the people were either at work or at school. This was where he charged his batteries and it made him feel calm and in touch with himself when he was here. No screaming fans like when he was in Europe. He could be who he was; Brian Littrell with faults and flaws.


Nick also felt the calm and silence that the town breathed. Hands in his pockets he kicked the leaves in front of him as Brian guided him through his hometown. The air was cool and as he breathed it made small smoke puffs. It felt fresh, but he wasn’t used to this kind of weather. Not since he lived in Buffalo. Silently he wished that he had taken with him a much warmer jacket since his windbreaker did nothing for the chilliness.


“ This is it,” Brian stopped under a tree, besides a big building. He looked full of it and his eyes were shining, his cheeks red from the cold and excitement.


“ What?” Nick didn’t act too interested and to tell the truth he just longed to be back in the warmth, sit under a blanket and play some Nintendo. Yet he tried his best to look excited. He didn’t want to let his friend down.


“ This is where I snogged Susan.” He laughed as he patted on the big tree.


“ Really?” Nick looked up.” Was she good looking?”


“ Are you kidding?” Brian grinned, “ She became the prom queen later on. “ He got something dreamy in his eyes, “ Wonder what she does now.”


“ You still hot for her?” Nick asked with a laugh in his voice.


“Nah, but as they say..First love is something special.”


“ Did you date for long and,” Nick draw his breath, “ was she the one that you lost it to?”


“ Nick!” Brian laughed, “ Yes about a year and Nope, she wasn’t.”


“ Then who was?” Things were starting to get a bit more interesting.


“ Someone else,” Brian was often very secretive about his personal life.


“ Aww come on Bri,” Nick wasn’t about to let the subject drop. His friend was and he walked over to a nearby bench and sat down. “ This is life,” he breathed.


“ Drop it,” the teen sounded a bit annoyed, “ When you said A you better say B.”


“ Much to curious?” Brian chuckled, as he blew in his hands to get some warmth, “ I should have gotten my gloves.”


“ Yeah, yeah, yeah..now spill it.” Nick was starting to get impatient and Brian loved this. It was fun holding people curious. Especially the teen by his side.


“ I’ll tell you some other time,” Brian said as he stood up, “ Come one lets go into Stacey’s Diner and get us something warm to drink.”


He got an annoyed grunt back.


As they went inside the small local diner a waitress with blonde pony tails came towards them, “ Oh if isn’t Brian Littrell?” she said as she flashed a white teeth grin.


“ Hey Tracy,” Brian said and Nick could swear that he blushed slightly. Nick smiled. This was starting to get interesting. By the look of it his friend hadn’t been lazy when it came to dating.


“ What are you doing here in Lexington?” she asked as she hugged the pop singer tightly. “ Aren’t you famous or something in Europe?”


“ Eh..uh..a bit.” Brian fidgeting like a schoolboy that met his first crush.


“ Ok,” Then she noticed Nick standing next to the counter, “ And who is this friend of yours,” she said as she reached out a hand to greet him.


“ Nick,” Nick piped up, wishing that he had a more steady and mature voice. Tracy looked really good but it wasn’t her face that caught his attention. It was the big well formed breasts that hid under her uniform, threatening to fall out at any second. He licked his lips, not knowing where to look.


“Aww,” she said, “ You’re such a cutie.” Now it was Nick’s turn to blush. “ Well,” she continued, “ Go and find a place to sit and I’ll come over with the menu.” The two boys nodded and sat down at a table near the window.


As soon as she had left Nick leaned over the table, asking a bit louder then he intended too, “ Who was that?”


Brian’s face went fire truck red.


“ Is she..is she the one that you...you know.” He giggled.


“No!” Brian shook his head, then he added, “But I wish it was.” The friends giggled wildly. "I used to date her younger sister."


" Really does she have..uh..as big a boobs?"


Brian nodded and they started to laugh really loud.


"Well you shouldn’t be looking at that you’ve got Samantha." Nick said after a while.


" Yup, then whom should we hook you up with?"


" Hook up?" Nick pretended to be offended; " I’m Nick Carter the boy that has a girl in every city. Don’t you know?"


"Actually NO." Brian grinned. The rumour was pretty far fetched. Ok the teen wasn’t unkissed but he was more interested in playing Nintendo than snogging a girl.


As they sat munching on pancakes and jelly, giggling and goofing around, a boys voice called out “ Bīrok?”


Surprised that someone called out his name Brian turned around just to get the widest grin in the world on his lips,” Tooooom!!” He said to the dark haired boy in the blue and white college jacket. Tom returned the smile and soon they embraced each other in the warmest hug.


By the look of it they had known each other for a very long time and Nick felt a bit of jealousy. So this was Brian’s best friend Tom McKinnley? The one that he had talked about endless nights when they were alone in the hotel room. Tom and Brian were inseparable in school and they had so much fun together. Even if Nick didn’t want to admit it he felt really left out and he watched through his bangs how they talked to each other.


His thoughts were interrupted by the dark-haired student saying, “ So you’re Nick? Brian has talked so much about you.” He smiled.


Nick felt moody. “ Really?” he was short with his words.


“ Yeah.” The two of them glared at each other. It was like they were battling over Brian. At least Nick was. Then Tom turned to Brian, “ Listen you wanna come to Becky Horns party on Friday?”


“ Aha, I’ve heard about that from Bob.”


“ Great, are you coming or not?” Tom said as he laid an arm around his long-time friend’s shoulder. “ We really miss you dude.”


Nick looked away. Tears burned in his eyes. He didn’t know if it was because his head was feeling strange and stuffy or if it was because he felt alone. It was probably both.


Brian scratched his head, “ Ok, I’ll do that.” He grinned. Then he most have remembered Nick as he turned to him, “ Is that ok with you?”


“ Sure,” The teen was trying to steady his voice, “ Yeah,” he said coughing lightly, “ Go ahead.” He perked up a smile, not wanting to let his friend see how hurt he really was.


“Brilliant,” Tom laughed, then he stood up, “ Well I better get going. See ya around seven at Bobs.”


“ Ok,” Brian smiled. He seemed very happy.


“ Nice to meet you Nick,” Tom said politely. Nick didn’t answer, just shrugged. This had Brian raising his eyebrow, “ What’s the matter? Why are you such a grouch?”


Nick glared. Brian was saying this in front of EVERYBODY, especially in front of Tom.


“I’m not,” he rubbed his temples momentarily. He didn’t want to seem like such a spoilsport but it hurt him that Brian had other friends than him. Ok he had Brent, an old childhood friend, but it wasn’t the same as his relationship with Brian. Brian was his and no one else’s.


Tom frowned, “ You’re not feeling very well?” he asked.


“ Why do you care?” he sneered back.


“Nick?” Brian scolded him, looking hurt, “ That is no way to talk.” All he got was a glare back. It was Tom that took hold of the situation.


“ Actually you look a bit pale.”


“ So? “Nick wheezed, “ Are you a doctor or what? Or a makeup artist?”


"NIIIIICCKK!"


" What?" he turned his head to look at Brian who was far from satisfied.


Tom shook his head, “ No, but I’m study to become one. A doctor that is.” He smiled friendly.


“ God. Oh brother," Nick let out his disgust. "This guy is stupid”, he muttered more to himself than to anyone else


“ Nick!” Another scolding from Brian. He never liked when the Lords name was abused and saying that his friend was stupid didn’t cut so well either.


“ S’okay,” Tom held up a hand, “ You better get something for that headache or you will be in for a migraine.”


“ Right.” Nick was in no mood to get advise, and especially not from Tom.


“ Well I better jet now, see you at church tomorrow, Brian and...Nick.”


“ Yeah see ya man,” Brian grinned as he took his friends hand, holding it tight. As soon as Tom was out of sight Nick breathed out loud.” What an ass.”


Brian frowned, “ What is the matter with you? Why are you so moody.”


“It’s nothing.” Nick mumbled as he continued to rub his temples. Brian wasn’t buying the words and he responded, “ You better shape up your act.”


Nick glared back. He knew he had behaved badly. Yet he couldn’t help it. He felt so alone. And jealous.