- Text Size +
Chapter 12:

Nastasia smiled and leaned back against Howie as they sat quietly on the beach blanket. They were sitting out on the white sand on the beach in front of the condo, watching as the sun set in the tropical sky. The sky was absolutely breathtaking - shades of reds, oranges, blues and purples streaking across it's natural beauty. She would have loved to stay there like that forever, but they were leaving the next day to head back to the states.

Things had gone so perfectly during the vacation and she couldn't remember such a time when she had felt so at peace. If only she could pause time and live this moment forever...

"I wouldn't want to spend this moment any other way than having you in my arms as we watch the sun set," Howie whispered in Nastasia's ear as he rested his chin on her shoulder.

Shivers were sent down her spine as he kissed her neck, but she felt secure in his embrace, like nothing could touch her, nothing could hurt her. He was her security. "I wouldn't want to spend it any other way than being in your arms."

Howie wrapped his arms tighter around her body. "What makes you different, makes you beautiful. What's there inside you, shines into me. In your eyes I see, all the love I'll ever need. What makes you different, makes you beautiful to me," he sang softly in her ear.

Nastasia's lips curled into a smile as she closed her eyes and rested within his arms. The smell of his cologne filled her nostrils and she drifted into a light, dreamless slumber.

*****

"Stazzie and Howie should be here any minute," Lauren announced as everyone gathered around in the living-room. Her and A.J had invited Howie's parents, sisters and brother over for a welcome home party, for Howie and Nastasia were returning from the Carribbean. Kevin, Brian and Nick had all said they would be over later that day.

"Are you excited about seeing your mommy and daddy?" Hoke asked as he bounced Alexandria on his knee. He had grown especially close to his granddaughter. He loved her lots. Alexandria cooed up at her grandfather with her baby smile.

"I bet she can't wait," Paula smiled and kissed her husband's cheek. Hoke began to tickle Alexandria and she burst into little giggles.

"I'm hungrwy mommy," Chase whined with puppy dog eyes as he looked up at Lauren.

"You just ate a little bit ago," Lauren laughed. Her son's appetite was becoming as big as his father's.

"But I'm hungrwy!" Chase protested.

"Sorry Chaz. Not until Aunt Stazzie and Uncle Howie get here. Now go bug your father."

"Hey, they're here!" John announced as he peered out the window. Everyone grew quiet as they waited for them to walk up to the door. A few minutes later, they heard a knocking.

"Come in!" Lauren called.

"Where ya at?" Nastasia asked.

"I'm in the living-room!"

A couple seconds passed, then Nastasia and Howie walked into the living-room. They stopped when they saw everyone.

"WELCOME HOME!" everyone shouted.

Nastasia smiled. "Of course you would organize something like this and not bother to tell me Laurie," she laughed.

"Yep, exactly," Lauren grinned.

"Hey, there's my little girl," Howie smiled and walked over to where his father was after Alexandria began to fuss when she saw her daddy. Howie took her into his arms and hugged her tightly, kissing her forehead.

"Welcome back son," Hoke said as he stood up to give his son a hug. Howie returned it with a tight father/son hug.

Nastasia's eyes became a sorrowful color as she looked at Howie and his father hugging. But before she could make a silent wish she heard a squeal. She looked down to see Chase and AJ running her way.

She yelped as Chase jumped into her arms and AJ hugged her. She laughed louder as they spun her in a circle. "Stazzie's home!" AJ shouted loudly.

"YAY!" Chase sang as AJ released them. Nastasia smiled as she offered AJ a kiss on the cheek then turned back to Chase.

"Hey baby! How was Chase?" Nastasia cooed as she sat on the floor. Howie's family began to talk with Howie and coo at Alexandria. Nastasia and Chase began to talk quietly.

"Me good!" Chase bubbled, "Alexia cry all night though. She hurt my ears!"

"Oh really?" Nastasia laughed.

"Yes!" Chase frowned, looking more like his father. Nastasia smiled as Chase giggled again. He jumped back into Nastasia's arms, she hugged him tightly. Just like when he was a tiny baby.

"Miss Aunt Stazzie?" Nastasia asked softly.

"Yes. Very much." Chase replied as he placed a sweet kiss on her cheek, enjoying her arms around him. She laughed again as Alexandria turned her head. She looked at Chase in her mother's arms and fussed loudly.

"What's the matter Lexie?" Lauren asked as Howie placed her down quickly, with all the groans and fussing she was making he had thought he had hurt her. He watched as Alexandria boosted herself up to her two tiny feet.

"Mama mama." Alexandria cooed loudly. Nastasia looked up from Chase and grinned. Alexandria had finally noticed her. She watched as Alexandria began to walk carefully to her mother. Nastasia let out a loud squeal as Alexandria reached her arms.

"Good job baby!" Nastasia cooed as she placed her arms around both Alexandria and Chase, hoisting them both onto her hips. Howie looked at his wife and frowned, something was different in her eyes again.

"Mama!" Alexandria laughed again as she placed a fishie kiss on her mother's lips. Everyone laughed as Nastasia walked over to the group.

"Getting jealous of Chase there Lex?" AJ laughed as Lauren elbowed him in the ribs. He laughed as Lauren rolled her eyes.

"She just missed her mommy." Pollyanna chirped.

"I hope." Nastasia whispered faintly as she looked down at her young daughter. So much like her, yet so different.

"What'd you say Staz?" Hoke asked.

"Nothing." Nastasia answered softly.

"You okay Babe?" Howie asked as he placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Nastasia gave Howie the best smile she could muster up.

"I'm fine." She answered back, giving him a kiss. Hoping that somehow he would make her sorrows disappear.