- Text Size +
Chapter 18:

Nastasia pulled her jeep into the driveway and killed the enginge. They were just returning from the movie, having taken Chase to go see " The Emperor's New Groove ". Chase had loved the movie while Lauren and Nastasia had nearly fallen asleep.

" Did you like the movie Chaz? " Lauren asked as she got Alexandria out of the car seat for Nastasia.

" Uh huh! " Chase exclaimed as he hopped from the jeep. He was happy again and had forgot about being mad at his mommy for being mad at him.

" Howie's home, " Lauren pointed out, seeing his car parked in the garage. As soon as she said that, Chase's features turned darker. It was obvious he was still angry with Howie.

" I'll race you inside Chase! " Nastasia exclaimed with a grin, trying to get him to lighten up. Then took off running.

" No fair Auntie Staz! " Chase yelled and ran after her.

Lauren laughed as she watched the two. They surely were a pair. She didn't know what she would have done if Nastasia wouldn't have been there to help her with Chase. She had been such a lifesaver so many times and Lauren would be forever thankful. She balanced Alexandria on her hip and headed into the house.

" Hey babe, is that you? " Howie called out as he heard the front door open. He walked into the front hallway just as Nastasia was hanging up her jacket.

" Hey you - what time did you get home? " Nastasia asked as she wrapped her arms around his neck and recieved a kiss.

" Half an hour ago. Where did you run off to? "

" We took Chase to go see " The Emperor's New Groove. That new disney movie that's out. "

" Wow, cool, " Howie smiled and went to bend down to Chase's level, but before he had a chance, Chase ran off into the living-room. Howie frowned and stood back up. " He's still mad I take it... "

" Don't worry about it Howie, he'll get over it... " Nastasia whispered assuringly as Lauren walked through the door with Alexandria.

" Hey Howie, " Lauren greeted with a smile. Alexandria began to fuss and squirm in her arms as she reached for Howie. She was a defenite daddy's girl.

" Hey, " he said as he took his daughter from her.

" Where's Alex at? "

" I'm not quite sure. He arrived to the meeting an hour and a half late and then he left in a hurry. "

" Hey Laurie, how about you let Chase spend the night here again, " Nastasia suggested with a grin.

" Why? "

" Because I said so and don't argue with me. Just let him spend the night here and you go home. "

" Alex is putting you up to this, isn't he? "

" I don't know anything! " Nastasia said, putting both hands in the air and walked into the living-room.

" Howie? " Lauren asked.

" I'm clueless, " Howie answered and took Alexandria upstairs.

" Uh huh... " Lauren walked into the living-room and found Nastasia talking to Chase on the couch.

*****

" Do you want to spend the night again Chazzie? " Nastasia asked.

" Is Howie going to be here? " Chase grumbled.

" Oh sweetie, he lives here, so yeah. "

" Well, make him leave. "

" I can't do that. That would hurt his feelings. "

" He hurt mine! " Chase pouted and crossed his arms over his chest.

" He didn't mean to. "

" He's mean! "

" Do you really mean that Chaz? "

" Yes! "

" Why? "

" Because he yelled at me! "

" And he didn't mean to. You just surprised him, actually, I think you scared him, " Nastasia laughed.

" Really? "

" Yep. "

" Do you know why? "

" No, why? "

" Because I'm a monster! " Chase jumped onto Nastasia and began tickling her.

Lauren laughed quietly from where she watched in the doorway. Nastasia really had a way with kids. It was amazing.

" So, what do you say you go upstairs and talk to Howie? " Nastasia asked once they had calmed down. " Well Chaz? "

" Alright... " Chase sighed as Nastasia gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

" What are you still doing here? " Nastasia laughed as Chase ran past Lauren.

" Well I was going to say goodbye to my son, but I guess that's not an option now, huh? "

" Nope. it's not. So leave! "

" Geez, you must be in a big hurry to get rid of me. Damn. "

" Bye Laurie. "

Lauren rolled her eyes. " Bye. "

*****

Howie carefully placed Alexandria down into her crib and snuggled her up with her pooh bear. He covered her with her teddy bear blanket and smoothed the hair from her face.

He smiled down at her and watched as her tiny eyes began to close as she drifted off into slumber. " I love you sweetie, " he whispered and turned around. He was surprised to find Chase standing in the door way. Howie walked over and bent down in front of him.

" Is Alexia sleeping? " Chase asked quietly.

Howie nodded. " What's up? "

" Nothin'... "

" You wanna talk? "

" Yes, " Chase answered.

" Ok, well let's go somewhere else so we don't wake Alexia up, " Howie said as he stood up and shut the door. They walked down the hall a bit and went into Chase's room. Howie went over and sat on the edge of the bed. " What did you want to talk about? "

" I'm sorry Uncle Howie, " Chase said quietly.

" About what? "

" Because I said I hate you, but I don't. "

" Hey, it's ok. I'm sorry for yelling at you earlier, " Howie replied and smiled, feeling better now that Chase was talking to him again. " You scared me this morning, that's all. "

" I did? "

" Yeah, you scared me so much that I fell out of bed, " Howie laughed.

" And you bumped your head, " Chase giggled.

Howie grinned. " Yeah, but no harm done. So are we buddies again? "

" Yes! "

" That's good. "

" Wanna play Pokemon Uncle Howie? "

" Sure, can I be Pikachu? "

" No, I'm pikachu. You can be Chazard! "

" Why do you always get to be Pikachu? " Howie laughed.

" Because, I said so! " Chase giggled as Howie stood up. Howie started walking towards him with his tickle look on his face. " Uh oh... " Chase said and began backing up, then Howie came after him, scooping him up and attacking him with tickles. " No Uncle Howie! No! Aunt Stazzie! Help! "

" She can't help you now! I've got you! " Howie laughed evily and ran out of the room and down the stairs with Chase.