- Text Size +
Chapter 24:

" You want anything to drink Howie? " Lauren asked as she stood up from her place on the couch. She watched Howie with worry as he sat there in a trance, his soft brown eyes softer than usually, and he looked extremely upset. He had been that way the whole evening since he had gotten to her and A.J's house. The bad thing was, she knew it had to do with Nastasia and that worried her. " Howie, is everything ok? "

A.J and Brian looked up from the game on tv, waiting for Howie to answer. They had both noticed how quiet he had been.

" Oh, yeah...everything's fine, " Howie lied as he offered her a fake smile.

" Ok. I'm going to the kitchen, do you want me to get you something to drink? "

" No, that's ok. Thanks anyways. "

" Alright... " Lauren watched as Howie rested his head against his hand and let out a sigh. She bit her bottom lip. " Howie, could I speak to you for a minute? "

Howie looked up at her questioningly. " Sure, " he replied quietly as he followed her into the kitchen, his mind swirling with thoughts. He took a seat at the kitchen table as he watched Lauren go over to the fridge.

" So, what's wrong? " Lauren asked after she had retrieved herself a coke and leaned against the counter. " Well? "

" Nothing's wrong, " Howie lied.

" I'm not gonna fall for that. I know your lying, so tell me what's wrong? "

" Why do you think something's wrong? "

" For one thing, you've been really quiet this evening and also, I saw how Staz was acting towards you earlier today. " She watched Howie wince when she mentioned Nastasia. " So, what's wrong? "

Howie sighed as he stared at the ground. " She's mad, " he replied.

" At you? "

" Yeah... "

" Why? "

Howie made up his mind to bring the scars up to Lauren. Maybe she would know something about them, afterall, she had been best friends with Nastasia ever since they were little.

" Lauren, how did...how did Stazzie get those scars? "

Lauren's breath caught in her throat as she nearly dropped her soda. Her heart pounded as Howie's question rung in her ear. She was shocked that he was asking her, but obviously Nastasia hadn't told him. She didn't feel she had the right to be telling Howie about it, especially if Nastasia still hadn't told him. She didn't answer.

" You know how she got them, don't you? "

Lauren nodded slowly. " Yeah, I do... " She cringed at the thought.

" I've asked her about them, many times. But she lies to me about it. I know she does. I'm just worried about her. Then when I question her about them, she gets angry. I don't understand why. "

" Howie, it's hard for her to talk about... "

" Why? She should be able to tell me! Damnit, I'm her husband! "

" Yeah I know, but - "

" Why don't you tell me, since she won't and you know about it. "

" But - "

" Please? "

Lauren looked away for a second. She could feel his brown eyes pleading with her, she could tell he was desperate. " Ok, " she whispered, not knowing wether she was going to regret telling him or not. But just as she was about to answer, a giggling cry called out to her from the living-room. ' Saved by my son ' she thought as she walked out of the kitchen. In a way, happy that she had gotten out of having to tell Howie, but she knew it hurt him even more.

*****

Nastasia was having a blast out on the dance floor. Nick stood off to the side as he watched Kevin take his turn dancing with Nastasia. Much of the crowd watched on in amazement as the two did their moves, many of the guys constantly eyeing Nastasia up and down.

" Do you want to take a break? " Kevin asked.

" WHAT? " Nastasia replied, straining her ears to hear him clearly above the music.

" I ASKED IF YOU WANTED TO TAKE A BREAK? "

" YEAH. "

Kevin took hold of Nastasia's hand and led her back over to the table Nick was sitting at.

" I'm going up to the bar. Y'all want something? " Nick asked as he stood up.

" Yeah, I'll take a tequila sunrise, " Nastasia replied.

" Could you get me a Coors? " Kevin asked.

" Sure thing, " Nick answered and walked off.

A moment's silence was shared between Kevin and Nastasia. Her ocean eyes weren't sparkling like they usually did, and Kevin could tell that something was wrong, but Nastasia hadn't said anything about it. Even though he hadn't said anything, he had become worried earlier, when he had seen her crying.

" Sweetie, are you alright? You're awfully quiet... "

" Oh, I'm just fine, " Nastasia replied, placing a smile on her face as Kevin raised a questioning eyebrow at her.

" Are you sure? "

" Yes. "

" Was something wrong earlier? Back at your house, when you were crying? "

Nastasia laughed sheepishly, knowing she couldn't tell him the real reason why she had been crying. He wouldn't understand anyways. "It was something stupid, nothing to worry about. "

" You know if you need to talk, I'm here to listen. "

" I'll keep that in mind. "

*****

Nastasia waved back to Kevin as he pulled out of her driveway and drove off. It was early in the morning, nearing 2:30 was what the clock in the car had read before she climbed out. She walked up the porch steps and pulled her keys out of her purse, reaching for the door knob. Once inside, she fumbled around for the hall table to put her purse down, not wanting to turn on any lights.

" Where were you? "

Nastasia jumped back a foot, a squeak escaping her lips. The lights were turned on and she found an exhausted looking Howie standing there. " My god, you scare me... "

" Where were you? "

" I went out with Kev and Nick. You knew that. "

" Do you even know what time it is? "

" Yes I do. Why are you freaking out for? "

" Because it's 2:35 in the morning! "

" What's your point? "

" I've been waiting up all night for you, going crazy because you hadn't come home! "

" I told you I was gonna be home late! "

" You didn't tell me you planned on staying out until the butt crack of dawn! "

" Calm down. "

" No, damnit. I was worried sick, Stazzie. You didn't even call! "

" I shouldn't have to! You knew where I was and who I was with! "

" You could have had the desancy to call! "

" You need to chill out! "

" No I won't. What is your problem Stazzie?! "

" You want to know my problem? You're my problem! Just leave me alone! I don't want to talk to you right now! " Nastasia watched as Howie's expression turned into shock and she stormed up the stairs, going into their bedroom and slamming the door, locking it behind her.