- Text Size +
Chapter 26:

A.J rushed over to Nastasia and wrapped his arms around her frail body. She shook within his embrace. " Shhh, Stazzie, shhh. Calm down sweetie, " he said as he kissed her forehead and hugged her tightly.

" I...I...don't know...where he is JJ...god, what if...he's...where is he?! Damnit... " Nastasia sobbed louder as she began to collapse in A.J's arm.

A.J felt a sickening feeling grow in his stomach as he helped Nastasia over to the couch. " Sweetie, calm down and tell me what happened. "

Alexandria began to cry in Lauren's arms as she became frightened by her mother's emotions. Lauren tried rocking her in her arms for comfort, but that only caused louder wails.

" I...I...he got...we got in...fight...god damnit... " Nastasia sobbed in broken fragements, still not able to control her sobs to speaking point.

A.J looked up at Lauren worridly who held the same worried expression on her face.

" JJ, I...I don't know where he is. I'm scared...I don't...I don't know where he is... "

" Shhh, everything's going to be ok. I'm sure he's just out somewhere to cool off. "

" Something isn't right! I just know it JJ! He smashed a picture of us in the hall. There was blood on the broken glass. Oh god let him be ok, " Nastasia cried as she buried her face into A.J's chest. " I can't lose him JJ, I can't lose him! Not now! "

A.J stood up from the couch suddenly and grabbed his car keys and cell phone off the living-room desk. " I'm gonna go look for him, " he said and bent down in front of Nastasia. " Sweetie, calm down. I'm sure he's alright. I'm gonna find him. Please calm down. " With that he ran out the door, slamming it behind him, having no idea where his friend could possibly be.

*****

" Do Mommy a favor Chase and take Lexie into the game room and keep her entertained while I talk to Aunt Stazzie, " Lauren instructed as she handed Alexandria over to Chase, who was standing with a frightened look as he watched his aunt sob.

" Ok, " Chase replied quietly as he held onto Alexandria tightly, then walked out of the living-room.

Lauren plopped down beside Nastasia and pulled her into a tight hug." What happened Staz? "

Once Nastasia had calmed down a bit, she took in a deep breath and began to talk. " I went out to that club with Kevin and Nick last night. I told Howie I would be home late. Well, I got home at 2:30 in the morning and Howie wasn't very happy. I guess I don't blame him now, but he overreacted and we got into a huge fight. I told him I didn't want to talk to him right then and to leave me alone. I was just angry Laurie. I didn't think of what I was saying, I didn't. God, he just totally freaked. He wasn't there when I woke up. I didn't know what else to do but to come here, I'm just so worried Laurie... "

" Stazzie, it's ok. I'm sure everything is fine. Howie isn't the one to do something drastic. I'm sure he is alright, " Lauren replied, trying to comfort her best friend.

" There was freaking blood on the broken glass. That just isn't right! "

" Stazzie, he's gonna be ok. Alex is gonna find him. "

" But what if he doesn't? "

" Think logically Staz! Him and Howie are best friends. He's known Howie long enough to know how he thinks. He'll find him. "

" Just...please...god, let him be ok. I love him too much to lose him... "

*****

A.J peeled the car out of the driveway and sped off down the road, his mind going in all different directions. He had no idea where to start looking. He turned on his cell phone and dialed Kevin's number, but was dismayed to get the answering machine. He then dialed Brian's number, praying to God that Brian would pick up.

" Hello? " came a grumpy answer on the other end.

" 'Rok! It's J! "

" Um, hey...wassup? "

" Have you seen Howie? "

" No, why would I have seen Howie? "

" Shit, " A.J swore as he pulled up to a stop sign and then sped off again. " Him and Stazzie got into a major fight last night and he totally freaked and left. Where's Kev? "

" At home I'm guessing. "

" He didn't answer his phone. "

" Probably because he's sleeping and he doesn't want to be bothered. "

" Alright, I'll call ya later. Bye, " A.J said quickly and hung up before Brian could say another word. He threw his cell phone to the passanger seat with worry and continued on his driving search, hoping that he would find Howie. Because all of a sudden he felt something wasn't right.