- Text Size +
Chapter 27:

AJ found himself on a bumpy road, which seemed not to be used that often. He glanced out his window to see a car, one that jolted his memory. AJ quickly slammed on the breaks as he looked; Howie's car.

"Howie?!" AJ yelled as he jumped out of his car almost before he stopped it. He ran and slid down into a ditch where Howie's car had landed. He prayed to God Howie wasn't hurt, or something terribly worse.

"Howie?!" AJ yelled again. He reached the car in a split second and almost jumped in through the broken window. "HOWIE!"

"J? Is that you?" Howie mumbled, his voice clogged. AJ winced as his friend faced him. Blood was gushing from his temple. AJ then looked down to see blood trickling down his hand.

"Howie, what the hell happened?!" AJ almost yelled as he looked at the car, assessing the damage. He didn't think it looked too bad, hopefully Howie could get out.

"I got...mad...ran ditch...tried to hit a tree..." Howie mumbled, his eyes slowly shutting. AJ moaned, he knew Howie had a concussion. And all the blood wasn't pretty.

"You're a freakin' idiot you know that? Stazzie is worried as hell!" AJ answered as he pulled on the door as fast as he could. He heard the shattering of the glass and pulled harder, finally jamming the door open.

"Staz don't love me..." Howie mumbled, catching AJ off guard.

"D! You have to listen to me! You have to stay awake, bud! Can you walk?" AJ yelled, trying to keep Howie focused on him. Falling asleep would be dangerous. Fatal.

"Fine." Howie mumbled as AJ slid his arms around him. Carefully he pulled Howie from the wreckage he used to call a car. AJ escorted him to his car and eased Howie into it. He knew Nastasia was going to fly off the handle this time.

*****

Nastasia sat on the living room couch for most of the hour. Tears still pouring out of her eyes. Lauren sighed softly, she knew Nastasia was hurting badly. And the thought of Howie hurting himself over her tore at Nastasia like a knife.

"Staz, you want something to eat?" Lauren called softly as Nastasia wrapped herself into a tighter ball. Alexandria was fussy also, absorbing the mood her mother was in. Lauren knew that Nastasia acting like this was tearing little Alexandria to pieces too.

"No..." Nastasia sniffled.

"But babe, if you don't-" Lauren was about to lecture, but the phone rang. Nastasia jumped, startled by the loud sound. Lauren chuckled a bit as she reached the phone. "Hello?"

"Lauren Baby?" A voice called, crackling a bit. Lauren's heart jumped. She knew it was AJ. She prayed that he had found Howie, in one piece.

"Hey Alex!" Lauren called, perking Nastasia's interests. She quickly jumped and leaned over the couch, yearning to be the one on the phone.

"Look, you can't panic...no matter what I say...promise?" AJ started out shakily, scaring Lauren.

"But-"

"Just promise Laur."

"Fine."

"Howie crashed his car."

"Oh my-"

"You promised!" AJ hissed, "He's at the hospital. I don't want you to freak, they're stitching him up. Now, I need you to bring Stazzie here... But-"

"Is he-"

"Just a little banged up. Okay? Don't freak Stazzie out. Lord knows she's been through enough today. Make sure you don't flip her out. Tell her Howie's fine, he just needs her...he thinks she doesn't love him..."

"HE WHAT?!" Lauren burst. Nastasia jumped from the sound of her voice, scared by the surprise in Lauren's voice. And the loudness. She was like a child, scared that the principal was going to call.

"Just get her down here. Don't flip her out, okay?"

"Fine." Lauren replied, "Love you."

"Love you."

Lauren walked back over to Nastasia. She looked up at her best friend with question. A thousand questions racing through her mind. Was Howie alive? Was he okay? Was he still mad? Was he awake?

"Where?" Nastasia whispered.

"We have to get Chase and Alexia around. You can borrow some of my clothes, hopefully you and your big chest don't stretch out my tanks." Lauren answered, trying to make her voice a bit lighter and cheerier.

"Where is he Lauren?"

"Staz, don't panic."

"Lauren! Where is my husband?" Nastasia repeated, her voice growing more frantic.

"He crashed his car. He's at the hospital."

******

Nastasia found herself running into the hospital with lightening pace. Once she reached the ER she found AJ waiting in a hard plastic chair. Her heart ached as tears still trickled down her cheeks.

"JJ!" She called. AJ jumped up just in time to find Nastasia in his arms. He hugged her tightly as sobs rattled her body again. He stroked her long blonde hair and tried to quiet her.

"He's okay Stazzie...Shhh...." AJ soothed as Lauren walked in with Alexandria in her arms - wailing, and Chase walking beside her. Deathly quiet.

"What'd he do?" Nastasia answered as she sniffled harder. AJ still wrapped his arms around her, rubbing her back. Trying to calm her down, like when they were younger.

"He crashed his car Stazzie. He thought you didn't love him anymore. He was upset Stazzie. Really upset..." AJ answered as Nastasia tore herself away from AJ's grasp.

"I?"

"Staz, he has a severe concussion. He cut his head pretty good, they had to stitch it up. He lost a good amount of blood through his temple. Then his hand had some cuts and glass to get out and stitch up." AJ answered calmly.

"He thought I-"

"Stazzie, baby, he just needs you right now. Go in there and make sure he's okay. He needs you." Lauren called softly as Nastasia's eyes turned frantic. Alexandria began to sniffle as AJ picked her up and held her tightly.

"I just can't-"

"Staz, calm down." Lauren answered as Chase crawled into her lap.

"He thought I didn't love-"

"Just go Stazzie. We got Lex." AJ answered. Nastasia gave a nod as she wiped her tears away, afraid of what she might see in that room.

*****

Nastasia opened the hospital door quietly. Howie was sitting in one of the beds, an IV dripping into his left wrist. His right hand bandaged. Another heavy bandage covering above his left eye. He was a lot paler, and seemed to be depressed.

"Howie?" Nastasia called softly. Howie jumped at the voice, it scared him. He looked over to see his wife walking slowly into the room. Her presence seemed to stop everything else.

He watched carefully as she approached the bed. Her blonde hair was let loose, and seemed to be a lot wilder than when he last saw it. Her beautiful ocean green eyes dampened with tears and bloodshot. Her clothing looked to be carelessly thrown on. She was a mess, even though she looked gorgeous.

"Hey..." He called softly, his voice cracking. His heart pounded as Nastasia stood there. Not sure of what to say. He felt like his heart might break. All he wanted to do was bring her in his arms and say things would be okay. That he loved her. And just kiss her, kiss her like they always used to kiss.

"Howard Dwaine..." Nastasia sniffled as she looked at his injuries again.

"Wha-"

"I don't know whether I should kiss you or just smack the HELL out of you!" She answered as she glared at him.