- Text Size +
Chapter 38:

After a few more hours on the tourbus the drivers stated they were pulling up to the hotel. It was a little after five, and Alexandria was extremely cranky. Nastasia was reaching the point of bitterness. And Chase was a wild little man. Lauren thought she'd die.

"Chase! Chill out!" AJ fumed as Chase began to bounce on the couches as the bus came to a stop. He groaned loudly as he tugged at some of his hair. Lauren laughed, he was definantly a site. He and Chase were too much alike. Even for their own good.

"Stop agitating your father." Lauren laughed as the bus door flew open. Nastasia yawned loudly as she looked out, no one was really there. She thanked God for it being so quiet, she knew by the time word got around there'd be massive amount of fans.

"Let me off the bus, now!" Nick answered, flying down and out the door as fast as he could make it. Nastasia rolled her eyes as Alexandria begged to be picked up. Nastasia scooped up her daughter as everyone pushed and piled out of the bus.

"Man, Stazzie. Get your big-butt out here!" AJ yelled loudly as Nastasia and Alexandria stepped off the bus. She was about to yell at AJ, but saw the one mother she had only ever known.

"MOMMA!" Nastasia yelped loudly. She ran over with Alexandria and hugged Denise tightly. She had gained so much from Denise in the past years. She had been the mother Nastasia had never been able to have. And she was thankful for it.

"There's my beautiful married daughter." Denise smiled as she wrapped both her arms around Alexandria and Nastasia. Holding them tightly as she kissed their cheeks. "Hey Lexie, you remember your grammy?"

"Dada." Alexandria replied with satisfaction. Making Nastasia laugh as Howie, Lauren, AJ, and Chase came over. Chase quickly jumped into Denise's arms. He loved his grandmother very much.

"Hey big boy! Gramma's here!"

"How long mom?" Lauren asked as she kissed Denise's cheek. Glad to have AJ's mother on tour again. She was very sweet and always offered to watch the kids.

"Probably for most of the tour."

"GREAT! There goes my plans!" AJ groaned.

"Not mine." Howie grinned as he wrapped his arms around Nastasia's slim waist. Denise gave Howie a playful glare as he began to kiss Nastasia's neck.

"That's my DAUGHTER Mr. Dorough." She answered.

"Sorry." Howie laughed.

"But yes! Gramma is here to stay! And guess what Chase? I come with detachable gadgets and with presents!" Denise laughed as Chase grinned. Lauren and AJ groaned.

"Did you have to?" Lauren moaned, thinking of all the toys Chase had brought to play with. She couldn't think of having to stuff any more into the already overstuffed suitcase.

"Mom." AJ laughed.

"Don't worry. I brought some for Staz and Lex too." Denise laughed.

"GREAT DENISE! Stazzie and Alexia don't need anymore stuff!" Howie moaned as Nastasia started to laugh. She was glad to have her mother back.

********

"Stazzie! Denise is taking all of us out for dinner before the concert. She said you better be ready in five minutes or she's killing someone." Howie called as he walked into their hotel room.

He looked to find his wife and daughter laying on the bed, watching some TV. Alexandria was cuddled tightly against Nastasia as she drapped her tan arms around her daughter. They were so peaceful laying there as Blue's Clues lighted the screen.

"I'm not hungry. And Lex is really tired." Nastasia answered as she flicked her gaze back to her husband. She seemed a little depressed as she stared at him.

"I think you should eat-"

"Look, Lex will be a bear if I take her. I'll keep her here and let her take a nap. Then I'll just hop a cab or something over to the arena. That way you don't have to worry about me." Nastasia replied, not wanting to go out. She had her reasons.

"Nastasia-"

"Howard. Just go. I'll grab something to eat when I leave. Just tell them I'm a little tired." Nastasia replied, not wanting an agrument.

"Okay..." Howie relented. Seeing as how he wasn't going to get her to go. Her mind was made up. "What's the matter Staz?"

"Nothing. I'm fine." She replied.

"I love you."

"You too." Nastasia laughed as he leaned in and gave her a sweet kiss.

*******

Nastasia sat at the kitchen table that night. Her legs propped on the scruffy wood table and leaning back on the chair. Her chores were done, her homework acomplished. And nothing else was left for her to do.

Nastasia's mother was currently locked in her bedroom. She was no doubt hiding from her father when he came home from work. Usually heading out to the bar for a few drinks. Then returning. She knew her mother was drinking in the bedroom, hiding her pain.

"Jeff wants me to go to the dance with him!" Nastasia replied cheerily into the phone. She knew her father would come pounding in the door, but she didn't care. She had to tell Lauren the good news.

"Really? Jeff? The captain of the football team?" Lauren replied. Her voice in a tiny squeak. Nastasia laughed, she couldn't believe it herself either.

"I was sitting in Science, he's in there with me. He comes up to my desk and asks me flat out. The girls want to kill me!"

"I'd say so! So, how are you going to go?"

"In Jeff's car, where else?" Nastasia laughed.

"I mean, how are you going to get your dad-"

Just then Nastasia heard the slamming of the door. She jumped a mile. She heard the heavy clamping of footsteps. "Laur, got to go. Bye."

"Girl, why aren't the dishes done!" Her father barked immediatly as he staggered into the kitchen. Nastasia looked to see the clean dishes drying on a towel.

"They are-"

"DON'T GET SASSY DAMNIT!" He roared as he took his huge hands and threw the dishes. Some clattering to the floor, leaving broken pieces scattering on the floor. Nastasia jumped as he staggered to the alcohol cabinet. They didn't have food in the house, but he sure did have to have the liquor.

"I'm sorry daddy." Nastasia whispered quickly as she bent down and prepared to clean up the broken pieces. Her heart pumping to a maximum.

"Why are you dressed like a whore?" Her father slurred out as he fumbled with the lid of his beer then slumped into one of the worn seats. Nastasia glanced down. It was hot in Florida, she was wearing a blue tanktop and a pair of jean shorts.

"I'm not daddy. It's hot."

"Liar. I ran into that Alex kid you hang around with. Was he here while I was gone?"

"No daddy."

"Sure." He grumbled.

"Daddy?"

"What girl?" He replied back. His bloodshot eyes blazing with heated anger. She gulped back her fears as she continued to sweep the pieces of glass in her hands.

"Can I go to a dance with Jeff Holland this Friday?"

"A what?" He asked as he stood up.

"A d-d-dance." Nastasia stuttered as he fell over to the counter. She could tell he had been drinking non-stop. She felt her heart pound harder.

"You want to get permission from me to go to a dance with some boy?"

"Yes..." Nastasia whispered.

"I will not have you going out to become the slut of the town. How do you think your mother and I feel? Everyone saying that you're sleeping around! DAMNIT! You whore!"

"I don't sleep around."

"Really?" He sneered as he slammed open a nearby drawer. Nastasia jumped from the sound. "You calling me a liar?"

"No daddy."

"What would you do if this boy came on to you. I know you'd be right back on him. But what if this boy pulled a knife out on you." He asked, gritting his teeth as he pulled a butcher's knife from the drawer. Nastasia whimpered as her father approached, she felt frozen.

"Daddy, don't." Nastasia pleaded as she finally managed to climb to her feet and try to run. Only her father caught her by her hair. She yelped as he yanked her back as hard as he could. With one massive push he threw her to the floor.

"I'm going to show you what he'd do! WHORE! TRASH! WHITE TRASH!" He screamed as he plunged the knife deep. Nastasia screamed out, the only thing echoing in her ears were his words, and her screams.


*******

"DON'T DON'T DON'T!" Nastasia screamed as she bolted awake. She looked to see Alexandria sleeping peacefully on the bed. Nastasia glanced around and felt the scar on her back begin to stab with pain.

"Stop daddy...stop..." Nastasia whispered as she felt the sobs choke her. She finally let them roll. Not caring anymore. She tucked her knees under her as the sobs continued to quake her insides.

Then the door opened.