- Text Size +
Chapter 49:

Howie barely had the strength to walk the few feet across the hall to A.J and Lauren's room. When Nastasia had handed him the rings, it had drained all his strength out of him. He could barely walk as his body was still shaking from his quiet sobs.

A.J quickly opened the door as Lauren steadied Howie as he walked through. It was less than a minute after they had walked through the door when Alexandria spotted her father.

Alexandria began to fuss when she saw the expression on her father's face and she waited impatiently for him to come over and pick her up.

Howie stared at his child, her beautiful face, so much like her mother's and he burst into fresh tears, beginning to collapse towards the floor, but Lauren caught him just in time. " D, sit down, " she ordered gently, helping him over to the bed that the kids were playing on, hoping that his daughter being with him, would help him, even if just a little bit.

Alexandria began to fuss louder as she crawled over to the sobbing man before her. She climbed onto his lap and tried to stand up, using his shaking arm to balance herself. She stared into his watering brown eyes, and her tiny bottom lip began to quiver as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

Howie instantly wrapped his arms around his daughter's small body and hugged her close to him. Pulling back an inch, he kissed her forehead and took in a deep breath of air as he hugged her again, trying to calm his nerves. Having his daughter with him seemed to help him a bit.

" Where's Aunt Stazzie? " Chase asked curiously as he looked at his uncle cradling his baby cousin. He had no idea of what was going on, but he knew his Aunt had been extremely unhappy lately and very upset, and his uncle seemed to be the same way too. When he didn't get an answer, he frowned and asked again. " Uncle Howie, w-where's Aunt Stazzie? "

" She left... " Howie choked, clearing his throat as he tried to stay calm.

" Where'd she go? "

" Out... "

" I miss her, she should come back! Why has she been so sad? "

" Because of me... " Howie answered quietly as another tear slid down his cheek. Chase stared on in confusion.

" I want you to stay here until Stazzie gets back, ok Howie? " Lauren asked quietly as she stepped in front of him, feeling bad for the way she had treated him earlier that night; she had just been angry. But now she was completely worried about him. She'd be damned to let him be alone until he and Stazzie had worked out their problems.

Howie looked up at Lauren, a mysterious, saddened gleam in his eyes. " You see these? " he asked, shoving the two rings up towards her face. They gleamed from the light of the lamps. " She isn't coming back...not to me at least... "

" Keep talking like that, and she won't come back, " Lauren whispered as she pushed the rings back to him. " Have faith in this relationship Howie. If you truely love her, then you aren't going to give up on what the two of you have and you're going to prove that to her. "

" You gonna be ok D? " A.J asked as he leaned against the wall, Chase running over to him and jumping into his arms.

" I'd be lying if I said yes, " Howie mumbled, but backed off when he caught the glare from Lauren. He wiped the tears from his eyes and looked back at A.J. " The best I could be in a situation like this. Thanks. "

" Anytime Bro. "

*****

It had taken Kevin longer than he had expected to reach the club Nastasia had gone to. But he was glad when he got there. He burst through the club doors and had to allow his eyes to adjust to all the darkness and flashing lights.

Finally, he began to make his way through the large crowd of people in search of Nastasia. He could only think of two places of where he could find her; that being either out on the dance floor or up at the bar. He scanned the sea of people out on the dance floor and then made his way up to the bar.

When he didn't see her up there, he sighed and took a seat on one of the stools at the counter.

" What can I getcha? " the bartender asked, walking over and wiping his hands on a white towel.

" Huh? " Kevin asked in an absentminded tone, he hadn't been paying attention.

" What can I getcha to drink? " the bartender repeated.

Kevin thought for a minute. He hadn't come to drink, he had come to get Nastasia, but he figured he could use a beer, just one while he continued his search. " I'll take a coors. "

" On the tap or in a bottle? "

" Bottle. "

" There ya go, " the bartender said as he flung the bottle across the counter to Kevin. " Hey, wait a minute, you look like one of those guys from that one boy group, um, what's their names, the Backstreet Boys? "

" So I've been told, " Kevin chuckled lightly and lowered the baseball cap on his head that he was wearing. Not like it was helping much.

" You looking for someone? "

" Huh? "

" You seem to be looking for someone, she your girl? "

Kevin shot the bartender an odd look. " Uh, no, she's not. But she's the wife of a good friend of mine. I came to get her before she did any damage. "

" Good luck... "

Kevin gave a slight nod of the head and hopped off the stool, clutching his beer in one hand and venturing into the crowd on the dance floor, trying to make his way to the other side.

It wasn't long before he reached the other side of the crowd and found himself staring up at a familiar figure making her way onto the top of a table and dancing. He moaned, knowing this wasn't good. Just by the look of her, he could tell she was blasted.

He began walking towards the table, which was now surrounded by guys who were hooting and hollering up at the beauty dancing.

" Stazzie! " he tried calling but was unable to get her attention. He moved closer until he was up with the other guys at a table. " Excuse, " he stated as he pushed one guy out of the way and reached up to grab Nastasia's arm. He pulled her down from the table, causing her stumble a bit and almost fall.

Nastasia glared up at Kevin, her eyes turning dark as she became angry in her drunken state. " What the HELL is your problem?! "

" I'm taking you back to the hotel right now, " Kevin answered, not letting go of her arm.

" Get your hands off me! " Nastasia yelled as she tried to tug her arm away, but was unable to succeed.

" No, we're leaving now. "

" LET GO OF ME! "

" Hey buddy, she said to let go, " a tall man, nearing Kevin's height stated, pushing him backwards.

Kevin glared at him, but grabbed Nastasia's arm again. " C'mon, we're going now. "

" LEAVE ME ALONE! "

" Let her go! " the man shouted as he shoved Kevin backwards again.

Kevin, becoming angry and frustrated, lunged at the man and punched him straight in the jaw, knocking him to the ground. " Fuck off, " Kevin hissed as he turned back around to face Nastasia, but as soon as he had, the man jumped up and smacked him in the back of the head. Kevin went to turn around to strike back, but was met by a punch to the jaw. He stumbled backwards and nearly fell to floor. Bringing a trembling hand up to his lip, he felt the warm trickle of blood. He was not the one to fight, and he was in no means needing to get arrested, so he grabbed Nastasia and began pulling her away, surprised that she wasn't resisting anymore.

*****

" Get in the car, " Kevin snapped as he opened the door to the rental car so Nastasia could climb in.

" No, I'll drive back myself, " Nastasia hissed as she tried to walk away, but she stumbled.

" The hell you will. You can barely walk, let alone drive. Get in the car now, " Kevin ordered as he grabbed her arm and pulled her back to the opening and helped her in. He shut the door and brought a hand up to his throbbing lip, wiping away more blood. He grumbled and walked around to the driver's side. Getting in, he started the engine and peeled out of the club parking-lot.

Nastasia moaned as she closed her eyes and leaned back in the seat. Bringing a hand up to her forehead, she moaned again. " I think I drank too much... "

" Oh, you think... " Kevin replied sarcastically.

" What the hell is your problem? " Nastasia questioned as she tried to make herself more comfortable, but she wasn't having any luck and she was beginning to feel extremely queezy.

" Nothing is my problem, " Kevin grumbled, though it was a lie.

" That's bullshit... "

" What were you planning on doing tonight? " Kevin asked suddenly. He had never seen her act this way before and he was worried.

" None of your business! " Nastasia hissed, becoming irritated.

Kevin quickly pulled over where it was safe to do so and killed the enginge. He turned hastily in his seat and stared at Nastasia. " None of my business? "

" Yeah, you heard me. "

" What is wrong with you Stazzie? "

" Nothing is wrong with me. "

" That's a lie. Tell me what's wrong? "

" You should know what's fucking wrong with me. "

" Why are you acting like this? "

" Because I can! Why the hell do you care? "

" I shouldn't have to answer that, " Kevin answered quietly. He stared hurtfully at Nastasia then turned his attention back to the road and started the car again, pulling away from the curb and continuing on his way back to the hotel.