- Text Size +
Chapter 54:

AJ gave a slight nod as he watched Howie disappear out the door. He could tell Nastasia was still worried about him. He gave her an insecure smile.

"I'll have Mom or someone talk to him. Somehow I think she's the only one who he won't kill at the moment." AJ answered as he jogged out of the room as fast as he could, picking up pace as he took the stairs and climbed them two at a time.

Nastasia shivered as she looked to see Kevin collapse onto the cold floor. His chest heaving, aching to breathe. Nastasia bent down before him.

"I take it we're not jogging now?" Nastasia asked softly. She moved a few strands of his dark hair from his sweaty face, as she ran her hand back his locks he winced. She pulled away her hand, traces of blood.

"I'll be okay to jog...just let me catch my breath." Kevin heaved.

"What happened?" Nastasia asked softly she showed him the traces of blood on her fingertips. Kevin winced, he ached all over. Howie had thrown some good punches.

"He got a little upset with me." Kevin answered as Nastasia helped him to the locker room and grabbed some wet paper towels. Applying them to his head trying to remove the matted blood. He winced.

"Why?" Nastasia asked as she carefully proceeded to take care of the cut. It wasn't too bad, it might need stitches though.

"He thought you were sleeping with me." Kevin replied carefully. Nastasia looked down at him, shock covering her face. She stopped and looked at him.

"Us?" Nastasia asked bluntly.

"I told him we were friends. No one listens though." Kevin sighed as Nastasia frowned. "He just lunged at me. First making me drop the weights. Finally he just tackled me. I gave up, I lunged back. I knocked the air out of him. But he jawed me and made me hit my head on the shelf."

"He's way out of line." Nastasia sighed.

"Honey, he just loves you."

"He has a funny way of showing it."

"I know...give him time..."

"That's what I don't have Kevvy. I can't be with him if he's going to fly off the handle every month! I won't be able to do anything about it! PMS is not my thing!"

"I know sweetie." Kevin chuckled as her eyes grew bright with frustration.

"Nice battle scars." Nastasia sighed, not understanding why Howie could go so crazy. She didn't understand him at all. She didn't understand his actions.

"Aren't they pretty? All for you too." Kevin winced.

"I do love you Kevvy. Just not the way he thinks." Nastasia answered softly.

"Yeah, I know."

"Want to jog to the hospital? Or ride?"

"Riding would be heavenly." Kevin grinned.

"Riding it is."

*******

AJ climbed the steps two at a time. He was worried, he searched his mother's room to find her gone. Then he looked in his room to find Lauren, Alexandria, and Chase gone. He panicked as he knocked into Nick halfway down the hall.

"Nick! Where's mom?!" AJ asked quickly.

"She and Lauren took Lex and Chase out shopping."

"Damnit!"

"Why?"

"Howie's flew off the handle."

"Again?"

"Yes!" AJ sighed, "Did you see him?"

"He just went to his room and slammed the door." Nick answered, pointing towards Howie's room. AJ felt his heart beat faster.

"If I go in there he'll kill me..."

"I could try..." Nick suggested.

"You're brave..."

"I want to help. Staz means a lot to me."

"And everyone else. Just don't mention loving her. He'll kill you, like he almost did Kevin."

"What?!"

"I'll tell you later." AJ answered.

"Okay." Nick shrugged, walking towards Howie's room.