- Text Size +
Chapter 55:

After A.J had left, Nick ran down the hall quickly to Howie's room, wondering how bad Howie had went off this time. When he got to Howie's door, he was surprised and worried to hear things breaking and crashing inside, glass and other stuff.

Nick tapped lightly on the door. Afraid to even attempt to venture in after his friend. "H-H-Howie??"

There was no response from Howie except for the continuation of things smashing against the walls.

Nick knocked on the door a bit more harder this time and when he still recieved no answer, he tried his luck at the door knob, surprised to find it open. He burst into the room. He stopped in his tracks in complete surprise when he saw the sight of the room. The base of the lamp lay shattered on the ground by the wall and a glass that had once been filled with water also layed on the ground, shattered. What he saw next took him him aback in complete horror; Howie stood heaving, clutching a piece of sharp broken glass.

"Howie don't!" Nick yelled suddenly. His heart lurching as Howie raised the broken glass above his wrist.

Howie didn't even hear Nick's desperate plea, he was too far lost in his own world of despair.

"Come on Howie, don't...." Nick called shakily, but Howie quickly made the glass bite down on his wrist. He yelped as a bright red fluid burst from his vein. He sobbed as he fell to the floor, preparing the other wrist.

Nick's body began to shake as he saw Howie begin to lower the glass to his other wrist. He couldn't let his friend do this to himself and he lunged torwards him.

"Stop it Howie!" Nick called as he grabbed the glass from his hand. Howie yelped in shock as Nick tossed the glass to the farwall. The blood continued to flow from his one wrist.

Howie started to sob as he stared down in horror himself at what he had done. It just now clicked in his head and he began to shake. His breathing became labored and he started gasping for air.

"Stop Howie, calm down. Just talk to me okay? Just talk to me." Nick whispered as he pulled Howie up and walked quickly to the bathroom. He quickly wetted a towel and applied strong pressure to Howie's vein, if the blood didn't slow down in a few minutes he'd take him to the ER. "Why Howie?"

Howie looked to becoming weak and he wasn't responsive at all, he stared off into space.

"HOWIE! You have to talk to me!" Nick shouted as the towel started to peak through with his blood. He knew Howie needed a doctor. "HOWIE! TALK!"

Still no answer.

Nick pulled Howie up with great force. He pushed Howie up against a wall quickly, still applying pressure. He used his one hand and smacked his face, hard. "COME ON D!"

Howie blinked once, but didn't say a word.

"HOWIE! COME ON!" Nick yelled, becoming furious. He gave him another hard smack. "Howie! Answer me!" He quickly looked down, more blood. He knew he had to leave and get him to the ER.

Howie was less alert then he was before and he began to collapse to the floor, scaring Nick half to death.

Nick felt his heart lurch. He quickly picked Howie up with all his effort and carried him out, finding Brian in the hallway, he screamed out. "B-Brian, please help." Nick screamed, frustration and fright mixing his tears.

"What happened?!" Brian asked, rushing towards Nick, who was holding a unconsious Howie in his arms. Brian's heart started to pump faster as he saw the blood.

"He and Staz had another fight. He did it again..." Nick sobbed.

"Come on, we have to go!" Brian yelled, running down the hall with Nick hot on his heels.

*******

Nick and Brian waited several hours in the hospital. They had gotten ahold of AJ, Kevin, and Denise. Stating they'd have to makeup the show another night. Nick, Kevin, and Brian decided to keep Nastasia in the dark about Howie's incident. Knowing it might freak her out more than ever. AJ and Denise were already told that Nastasia knew about it.

"Mr. Carter? Mr. Littrell?" A doctor grumbled. Nick and Brian jumped like lightening, as did Denise and AJ. Kevin decided to wait at the hotel for him. Deciding it wouldn't be too good if Howie saw him now.

"Yes? Is he okay?" Nick asked.

"The cut was deep. We gave him a heavy blood transfusion. Another five minutes and I can saftely say Mr. Dorough would not be in the world." The doctor replied, making Nick wince.

"Can I see him?"

"He's a bit out of it, but yes. You can." The doctor stated.

"When can he go home?" Denise asked quietly, knowing Nastasia would want to see him as soon as possible. Although she couldn't understand why Nastasia wasn't here.

"I'd say two hours." The doctor answered.

"Thank you." Nick nodded as he booked down the hallway, saying he'd be right back. And he wanted to go in alone. He wanted to talk to Howie badly.

****

Nick walked in to see Howie propped up. His left wrist heavily bandaged, he knew they needed to do several stitches in his wrist. He sighed as he watched the blood and IV drip into his friend's arm.

"Howie, you up?" Nick called softly. Howie looked over and moaned again. He was extremely weak, and distraught. He seemed to be pondering what his life was really worth.

"Howie?" Nick called again.

"Hmm?" Howie murmured, he was so tired. His wrist ached, as did his eye. He knew he had a ugly bruise on his eye, it was swollen too. Not a good combination.

"Why Howie? Why?"

"Everything is falling apart Nick. My whole life...everything that really matters to me Nick. It's gone, she's gone..." Howie mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Nick whispered.

"Staz loves Kev now."

"Your nuts, she loves you."

"She gave me the rings...it's over..." Howie whispered faintly. His eyes fluttered as he struggled to stay awake. He looked over to see his friend's tears.

"Howie, you don't need to worry. She loves you."

"No she doesn't."

"Howie-"

"Nick?"

"What?"

"I love her."