- Text Size +
Chapter 59:

A.J stopped by the hotel lobby door and proceeded to put on an old baseball cap, pulling the bill of the cap low, then put on a pair of dark sunglasses. He was going to walk to the club since it was right down the street. He was going without a bodyguard, and by putting on the old cap and dark sunglasses, he was hoping to lessen his chance of being recognized, even though he knew it wouldn't help much.

Opening the lobby doors, he stepped out into the cool air and looked to his right, then his left. What he saw to his left, made him wish he would have stayed in the hotel a few minutes longer.

A group of about 7 girls were walking down the already packed sidewalk; all chattering excitedly. Two of the girls was carrying homemade posters and all of them were wearing Backstreet Boys t-shirts.

" Ah shit, " A.J muttered as he began walking, trying to keep himself from looking back over his shoulder at the group of girls, hoping that there be a chance that they wouldn't notice him, but that was foolish of him to hope.

It wasn't long before one of the girls looked up and caught him looking back at them over his shoulder.

" Omg, guys! Look! " the girl exclaimed, using her finger to point.

" Omg, no way! " one of the other girls exclaimed. " It's A.J! "

" Shit! " A.J frowned, knowing this was not good. He began to run, which turned into a sprint as the girls started coming after him. No bodyguard and 7 teenybopper fans ; not a good mix. He usually didn't run away from his fans, but he felt that now was not the time for a fan encounter.

He sprinted across the street, nearly getting hit by a car that came zooming by. He could hear the group of girls screaming behind him, " A.J! OMG! A.J! CAN WE HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?! WE LOVE YOU A.J! " He knew it was attracting attention from bystanders, just making the situation worse.

He spotted an alleyway and quickly darted down it, hoping to lose the group. He leaned against the cold brick wall, heaving as he tried to catch his breath. What he heard next, made his heart drop.

" There, he went down that alley there! "

" Shit! " A.J exclaimed as he ran out from the alley and down the sidewalk, the girls hot on his heels.

" THERE HE IS! "

A.J looked around frantically as he continued to run. Then he spotted the club on the other side of the street. He quickly zipped across and was relieved when he reached the club doors. He burst in and slammed the door behind himself. Taking off his cap and sunglasses, he allowed his eyes to adjust to the half-light atmosphere of the place, his ears pounding with the loud music.

' I could use a drink ' he thought to himself with a chuckle. He would get one once he found lauren.

*****

Lauren ran her finger around the rim of her glass repeatedly as Devon babbled on and on about his life. She was bored out of her mind and was beginning to wish that she would have never agreed to meet him there. Something in the pit of her stomach was beginning to tell her that meeting him at the club was a big mistake.

" ...But that was after graduating from law school. Enough about me though, how's life been for you? " Devon beamed towards Lauren, a gleam in his eyes.

" Just peachy... " Lauren answered in an absentminded tone.

" I'm glad to hear that. Congradulations on your marraige to what's his name... "

" His name is A.J. How many times do I have to tell you? "

" Hey, don't get sassy. I was only trying to congradulate- "

" Well, you already congradulated me before, so you don't need to again, " Lauren snapped.

" You've got a cute kid. "

' Yeah, and thanks to you, he didn't know his father for the first three and a half years of his life ' Lauren thought cruely, an anger rising within. " Yeah, he's great. " She looked around with bordem. " Do you want to dance? " She figured she'd get in one dance and then leave. She wanted to get back to the hotel asap.

" It'd be my pleasure, " Devon answered, and led her onto the dance floor.

Just as they reached the dance floor, Dru Hill's - " Never Make A Promise " came on over the speakers.

" Wait, I can't dance to this song, " Lauren said suddenly as she stopped. The song had recently become one of her and A.J's songs. She couldn't dance to it with Devon.

" Yes you can. C'mon, " Devon replied and continued to lead her.

" But- " Lauren began to protest.

*****

A.J moved his way through the crowd of people, still looking for Lauren. When he heard " Never Make A Promise " come on, he felt a smile play across his lips and he hoped to find her soon.

His heart stopped when he reached the dance floor. He had to be seeing things, he told himself, but he knew he wasn't. No it couldn't be. How could she be doing this? How could she be dancing with him, Devon?

*****

Lauren felt that same uneasiness surge through her body as Devon wrapped his arms around her waist, as she did that one time back at her house in Florida, years ago.

Devon leaned down and moved to place a tender kiss on Lauren's lips, but she slapped him.

Suddenly, Devon was grabbed by the shoulder and spun around, a punch thrown straight against his nose.

" Son of a bitch! " Devon cried out as he stumbled backwards, clutching his nose.

" Alex! " Lauren exclaimed with surprise.

A.J didn't have time to answer because Devon lunged at him. He struggled against him as he swung his fist wildly at his head. Devon blocked the swings and punched A.J in the gut, knocking him down. But it didn't stop there, they continued to fight.

" Stop it! " Lauren shouted as she tried to pull A.J away, but it was no use.

" You bastard! " A.J shouted, swinging another punch.

" Fuck you! " Devon shouted back.

Suddenly, the manager of the club came running over, followed by a bouncer and two officers.

" Alright, break it up! Break it up! " the manager yelled as one of the officers and the bouncer pulled the two men apart.

A.J fought against the hold the officer had on him, his face was bright red and he was heaving greatly.

" What the hell is going on? "

" Fucking bastard was trying to put a move on my wife! " A.J shouted in response.

" You fucking punched me! " Devon shouted back.

" I'll do it again! " A.J spat as he tried to lunge at Devon, but the officer held him back.

" Sir, if you don't calm down, I will be forced to arrest you. "

A.J still struggled to get from the officer's hold, his goal, to beat the living day lights out of Devon.

" Sir- "

" Alex! Stop! " Lauren screamed, her heart pounding rapidly.

" Sir, you're under arrest, " the officer stated, pulling out his cuffs and snapping them on A.J's wrists.

" Oh god Alex... " Lauren gasped as the officer began to lead A.J out of the club.

" Bitch, " A.J hissed at Lauren as he was led by. His eyes penetrating deep into her with a dark anger.