- Text Size +
Chapter 69:

Nastasia shook her head sadly as she threw some things into her duffle bag that she always brought with her to concerts. She was in the dressing-room packing up after the concert. It had gone smoothly, despite the range of attitudes in everyone. She eyed A.J as much as she could during the concert, and every time she looked at him, he would be looking out over the audience, with a look in his eyes as if he were searching. It was like he wanted Lauren there. He was extremely angry at her, but Nastasia knew he missed her terribly.

She lifted the strap of her duffle bag over her shoulder and turned around to walk out of the room, she was the only one in there, everyone else had already headed out to the bus. Just as she began walking, she tripped over something soft and looked down. It was Chase's pooh bear. The one she had given to him two years ago. He took it everywhere with him, she guessed it held a special meaning to him. She remembered how one of the stagehands had said Denise had left half-way through the concert because Chase had begun to complain of not feeling well, and it showed in his face that he wasn't. He must of dropped it there or forgotten it.

Nastasia grabbed the bear and ran out of the room, bursting into the cold night air. It felt good against her warm skin. She was still hot from the concert, a cold shower seemed like a good idea at the moment. Running onto the bus, she noticed it to be extremely quiet, which struck her as odd. Though everyone was always exhausted after giving a really great concert, they were also still energetic. She greeted the driver, who offered a smile back, and then made her way towards the back of the bus, gradually beginning to hear Brian and Nick arguing over some video game.

She chuckled at their level of immaturity, but that's what she loved about them. They could be serious at times, but most of the time they were just plain immature and it was hilarious.

Just as she began passing the bunk area, a hand reached out from one of the upper bunks and covered her mouth. She let out a muffled scream in response, then A.J's head popped out, a tired half-grin plastered on his face.

" Did I scare ya? " he asked quietly, helping her onto the bunk.

" Yes, you did. You loser! " Nastasia laughed, smacking him on the shoulder playfully. " Your son forgot this in the dressing-room. I nearly tripped over it and fell flat on my ass, " she said, handing the stuffed animal over to him.

" Blondie, " A.J laughed quietly.

" Chase sounds just like you. And I know you taught him to say that. "

" He learns well. "

" Great, another A.J, " Nastasia joked as she nudged A.J in the side.

A.J smiled shortly, but his features turned into a frown. " Damnit Stazzie...what am I going to do? " he asked, his voice cracking.

" Talk to her, " Nastasia answered. She remembered the harsh words Lauren had spat at her earlier and they had hurt greatly, but she knew she couldn't hold Lauren to them, because she knew she didn't mean what she had said. She was still mad about it, of course, but she couldn't stay mad forever. Lauren had just been angry. ' I'm too forgiving ' Nastasia thought to herself.

" I can't do that, " A.J replied.

" Maybe not now - "

" Not ever. "

" I know you don't mean that JJ. "

" Yes I do. I can't talk to her, I don't want to talk to her. I don't even want to see her. "

" You're such a bad liar. "

" I'm not lying...I just...I don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore...I can't deal with it... "

" She messed up JJ - "

" She did more than just mess up, she cheated on me... "

" But she didn't- "

" She did too. Don't try to stick up for her. "

" I'm not. "

" I'm just worried about Chase, " A.J said after a few minutes of silence, placing the pooh bear down next to him. " I don't want to lose him. I can't lose my son Stazzie. "

" You don't have to lose him, and you don't have to lose Laurie either. "

" I've already lost Lauren. But I need you to promise me something... "

" Why do I always hate it when you say that? "

" Promise me you'll stick up for me in court when I try to get sole custody of Chase... "

Nastasia looked at A.J with shock, surprised that he would even think about doing that to Lauren, Chase was Lauren's life.

" JJ, I- "

" Promise me Stazzie. "

" Don't ask me that, it's not fair JJ. "

" Please Stazzie. "

" I'm not gonna answer you, " Nastasia replied as she made a move to climb out of the bunk. She just knew everything was going to get uglier than it already was. She could just see it, and it scared her.

*****

" I don't feel good grammy, " Chase whined as he snuggled up to Denise, who was sitting next to him on the bed. He had fallen asleep on the way back to the hotel, but woke up not too long after they had arrived.

Denise looked down at her grandson, and moved some of his tangled locks away from his face. His cheeks were flushed and he was running a fever. " I know you don't sweetheart. "

" My tummy hurts... "

" I know. Try to sleep. "

" No. I want Mommy. "

" Mommy is probably sleeping. "

" I want Mommy, " Chase sniffled and let out a small cough, his face turning green.

" Are you going to throw up? " Denise asked gently as she sat him up, she knew the look when a child was going to get sick.

Chase didn't have time to answer as he threw up the contents of his stomach on his pajamas and the bed spread. He began to cry as Denise picked him up.

" Shhh, honey...shhh, " Denise cooed, carrying him into the bathroom to clean him up.

" I...want...Mommy! " Chase wailed as Denise proceeded to put a clean pair of pajamas on him.

" It's ok sweetheart....shhh... "

" I...want...Mommy! "

Denise picked him back up, cradling him in her arms. " Alright, we'll go see her, " she cooed. Chase always ran to his mother when he was sick.

*****

Denise walked down the hall until she reached Lauren's door and made a quick knock and waited a few seconds. There was no answer, same went for the second time and the door was still locked. She went to each of the guy's rooms, not including Howie and Nastasia's room, asking if they had seen her, but each said no.

She made her way up to the front desk in the lobby and waited for the man behind the desk to turn around.

" How can I help you ma'am? "

" I was wondering if you by any chance know if Lauren McLean left the hotel at all today? She's not answering her door and- "

" Lauren McLean, she checked out earlier this evening...around 5:30. "

" Checked out? "

" Yes ma'am. "

" Alright...thank-you. "

" Where's Mommy? " Chase began to wail again as Denise walked away and headed back over to the elevator.

" She went out for the night, " Denise lied.

" When she coming back? "

" I don't know. I tell you what, how about we go see your Daddy. Maybe he can make you feel better. "

*****

" One second, " Nastasia called from inside as she rushed to open the door. She had just climbed into bed with Howie and Alexandria, A.J was already out cold. " Mom, hey! "

" Did I wake you dear? "

" No, you didn't. I was just going to bed though. What's up? "

" We've got a sick little boy here, who needs his Daddy because his Mommy isn't around, " Denise answered as she handed an arms-outstretched Chase to Nastasia.

Nastasia brought her newphew into her arms and felt his forehead as he rested his head on her shoulder, becoming a deadweight in her arms as he cried quietly.

" Where is she? "

" I don't know, she checked out around 5:30. "