- Text Size +
Chapter 70:

Nastasia's heart skipped a beat as she gently cradled Chase in her arms. He was feverish, and she knew he didn't feel good. She stared at her mother carefully, "Mom, she what?"

"She checked out. She left." Denise whispered as Nastasia kissed his warm forehead.

"When?" Nastasia asked, feeling lightheaded herself. She sat down heavily on the bed, sighing. Howie jumped from his slumber and looked to his wife. He rubbed his eyes as Alexandria whimpered and tossed. He rubbed her back softly till she fell asleep again.

"5:30 Staz, I already told you that sweetheart." Denise answered as Chase continued to cry softly. Nastasia rubbed his back as he sniffled.

"Why would-"

"Staz? What's wrong?" Howie asked as he crawled to the end of the bed. He rubbed Nastasia's tense shoulders as she sighed heavily.

"She's gone Howie..."

"Who's gone?"

"Lauren."

"Why?"

"I don't know, she blew up at me earlier today and I just left her. God, I should have stayed with her. I should have done something. This just isn't-"

"Nastasia, sweetie. Don't blame yourself. She was going to leave regardless of anything. It's not your fault. It's something that was bound to happen. If those two are fighting they won't want to be on the same tour together." Denise answered soothingly. Howie sighed, he got destressed when Nastasia blamed things on herself rather than those who really deserved blame. It upset him.

"Staz, what blow up did you two have?" Howie asked.

"I started it I suppose." Nastasia answered.

"I don't think you did. Why do you let them push you around like that? You're going to get torn into pieces soon." Howie answered gently.

"I'm fine." Nastasia answered as she saw Denise yawn. "Mom I got Chase. I'll wake JJ up. He can sleep in here tonight."

"Okay sweetheart." Denise smiled as she kissed Nastasia's forehead lightly. "You mean a lot to both Lauren and Alex. They love you a lot. Don't worry, you're not to blame."

"Thanks mom." Nastasia choked as a tear slid down her cheek.

********

Lauren had gotten home a few hours ago. She burst into the house and winced. All the memories of AJ came flooding back. She was afraid she might cry all over again. He was so important to her.

"I'm sorry Alex." Lauren whispered as she began to pile the clothing into her suitcases. She planned on moving in with her mother. She'd talk to someone about getting Chase flown home. Right now she wasn't on speaking terms with Nastasia.

"He'll be happier with her anyway." Lauren answered herself gruffly as she remembered the relationship AJ held with Nastasia. It still bothered her. She slammed her first suitcase shut and looked at a nearby picture. She glared, one of her and AJ on their wedding day.

"Jerk." Lauren hissed as she slammed the picture down. She felt tears well in her eyes as she continued packing. She couldn't believe he thought she was cheating, she couldn't understand it at all.

"I hate this." Lauren whispered again as she fell onto the King-sized bed. She rolled onto her stomach as she felt sick. Collapsing, she burst into new tears.

******

"JJ," Nastasia called softly as she slipped into the bed. Chase had turned out to be sleeping in her arms. She laid him by his father as she stirred AJ out of his slumber. He looked up and saw the tears.

"Is it your arm?" AJ mumbled out of sleep. Howie winced as he looked at the two, no one knew what had happened that day. And the bruise was fairly dark on Nastasia's arm. He chose to make her keep it wrapped for a few more days.

"It's not my arm."

"Then what is it?"

"Chaser got sick."

"What?!" AJ mumbled sitting up quickly. He looked to see Chase sleeping peacefully at his side. He felt his forehead, very warm. He sighed.

"I gave him some Children's Tylenol and he fell asleep. He wanted his daddy."

"That's fine." AJ smiled, "I'm glad he wanted me. I miss him terribly. Thanks Stazzie."

"But JJ-"

"What?"

"Your wife-"

"Nastasia what have I told you? She's not my-"

"Alexander James McLean." Nastasia answered, her voice angry and dark, "Your WIFE left at 5:30pm this evening!"