- Text Size +
Chapter 71:

A.J stirred restlessly that night as he tried to sleep. It was a surprise to him that Lauren had left, he didn't expect that much. What surprised him the most was she didn't take Chase with her and he was thankful for that.

AJ's dreams turned into a restless slumber. He soon found himself awake at ten. It was time to get up, because he couldn't sleep anymore. He looked to see Nastasia sleeping with little Alexandria in her arms, Howie holding Nastasia. He glanced over to see his son staring intently at him. He offered Chase a timid smile.

Chase stared back at his father and moaned a bit as he snuggled up next to him. A.J slung his arm over his son and hugged him closely, feeling him shiver, he looked down at his son. " You cold Chaser? " Chase only nodded a little as A.J felt his forehead, he was still very feverish.

"Here baby." AJ answered as he stood up and wrapped the blankets around him. He felt his forehead once more, very hot. "I'm going to wake up Auntie Staz, you want Aunt Stazzie with you and Daddy too?"

" I want Mommy, " Chase whined quietly, his bottom lip quivering.

"Mommy isn't here." AJ answered softly, his eyes burning with a dark hatred. He looked at the tears cascading down his son's cheeks.

" I...want...Mommy... " Chase sniffled, his tear filled brown eyes staring up at A.J.

"I'm sorry Chase, but your mommy isn't here." AJ stated more firmly.

Chase didn't say anything more as he layed bundled in the covers. To A.J, his cheeks seemed to be more flushed then they were a few minutes ago.

"Nastasia." AJ called as he walked over to her bed. He became worried, he wasn't used to seeing Chase sick. He watched as Nastasia lay there motionless.

" Stazzie, wake up, " he called again, shaking her shoulder gently.

"Hmm?" Nastasia murmured as she felt herself toss. She opened her eyes to see AJ, then she moaned, gently loosening Alexandria from her arms and Howie from her waist.

" Chase has a high fever, " was all A.J could think of to say as he watched her throw her legs over the side of the bed and sit up.

"How high?" She asked calmly.

" I don't know, his forehead's really warm...a little clammy. "

"Okay." Nastasia answered softly as she stood up. She stretched and yawned. Easing her sore arm to her side she walked over to Chase, "Hey baby."

Chase looked up at his aunt with tears in his eyes. " I don't feel good Aunt Stazzie. "

"Oh sweetie." Nastasia sighed as she sat down next to him on the bed, "What hurts?"

" My tummy... "

"Did a monster get in there?"

" No... "

"Hmmm, guess we'll just have to pamper Chazzie all day." Nastasia smiled softly.

Chase didn't smile back, he just snuggled up to Nastasia, laying his head on her lap, his face in a frown.

"Baby, what's the matter?" Nastasia asked as she rubbed his back. His whole body seemed to be on fire. AJ watched with curiousity as Nastasia continued to rub his back.

" I don't feel good... " Chase cried, the tears falling down his cheeks again as he coughed.

"I know sweetheart, I know..."

" My tummy is upset... "

"Well what do you want me to do sweetie?" Nastasia asked again as Alexandria sat up in the other bed. She watched her mother rubbing Chase's back and scrunched her nose in disgust.

" Make it not upset... "

"Well, that means more medicine, and I can put a heating pad on your tummy in the bus and it'll make it feel better." Nastasia suggested as Alexandria began to fuss.

" I want my Mommy, " Chase sniffled again as Nastasia brought him up into her arms and hugged him, worried about him feeling so hot.

"I know sweetheart...maybe I should take you to the doctor..." Nastasia hesitated, the warmness rushing into her own body.

" No, " Chase cried, shaking in his Aunt's arms.

"Sweetie. The doctors will make you all better. But I know what you mean, they scared me too...but all they want to do is help." Nastasia cooed as Alexandria began to fuss even more as Nastasia rocked Chase.

" No! I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go! "

" Chaser, the doctor will help you though, " A.J tried to sooth as he bent down in front of Nastasia and his son.

"Chase Alexander, you have to go. You're sick sweetie."

From the other bed, Howie grumbled in his sleep and slowly sat up, being awaken from the talking and Chase's crying. " What's going on? " he asked softly.

"Go back to sleep bum." Nastasia replied with a smirk as she stood up with Chase in her arms.

" You're funny, " Howie replied sarcastically, reaching over to the lamp on the nightstand and turning it on. " What's the matter? "

"I'm a laugh." Nastasia replied as she looked at Alexandria fussing loudly, "Chase has a fever."

" How high? "

"High."

" Come here little Miss Fussy, " Howie chuckled as he scopped his daughter into his arms.

"About time." AJ sighed as Alexandria cooed as Howie hugged her tighter. She still looked up at her mother, expecting Nastasia to pick her up instantly. But she cradled Chase.

" I don't feel good Aunt Stazzie, I don't feel good, " Chase said suddenly, squirming a bit in her arms.

"Are you going to get sick?" Nastasia asked as she looked into his dark brown eyes.

" I think the kid is about ready to- " Howie stated, seeing the look in Chase's eyes.

" Shut up Howie, " Nastasia replied as she rushed Chase into the bathroom.

Nastasia walked out of the bathroom as Chase continued to release what was in his stomach. She sighed heavily as she grabbed one of the nearby washcloths, planning on putting it on Chase's neck. "You guys, I'm taking him to the ER."

" What's wrong with him Stazzie?! " A.J asked, his voice coated over with worry as he followed her back into the bathroom.

"JJ, chill out. It's probably the flu or something. I'm going to go to the doctors with him. Get some medicine, and be back in time to get out of here and onto our next destination." Nastasia answered calmly as she placed the cool cloth on Chase's neck.

Chase began to wail as Nastasia picked him up. " Daddy! "

"Chase, it's going to be fine. I promise Aunt Staz will take care of you." AJ answered, fear coating his voice.

" Daddy! " Chase began to wail louder as he reached out for A.J.

"Do you want me to come too?" AJ asked as he took Chase from Nastasia's arms. She sighed loudly as she collapsed onto the bed beside Howie. She waited quietly, knowing Chase would put up quite a fight.

" I don't wanna go! I don't wanna go! "

"Chase Alexander. You're going." AJ answered in the most firm voice he could possibly muster.

" But...I...don't...wanna...go..." Chase cried with pauses. A.J could feel the heat coming off of him.

" I'm gonna go with you ok? "

Chase mumbled something that AJ couldn't understand. So, he took that as a sign of relenting. AJ beamed in satisfaction, he could do better than Lauren anyday.

" We'll be back later, " Nastasia said as she leaned over to Howie and placed a tender kiss on his lips, then leaned down to Alexandria and kissed her forehead. " Bye sweetheart. "