- Text Size +
Chapter 79:

" Try going back to sleep sweetheart, " Denise soothed as she placed Chase back into the bunk with A.J who was still sleeping.

" No... " Chase whimpered, his brown eyes glistening with fresh tears.

" Sweetheart...you need to rest if you want to feel better. "

" No... "

" What's the matter? " A.J mumbled as he turned onto his side.

" Chase threw up again, " Denise answered softly, brushing a hand across Chase's sweaty forehead.

A.J smiled sadly at his son and kissed his forehead, surprised at the warmth coming from it. " His fever is high, when's the last time he took his medication? " he asked as Chase cuddled up to him.

" I think Stazzie said the last dose she gave him was 9 1/2 hours ago, so it's been a while. "

" Lets give him another dose, it should knock him out until we reach the next destination, " A.J suggested as he rubbed his own forehead. " Do we have any asprin? I've got a head ache. "

" Don't tell me you're getting sick too. "

" I highly doubt it. "

" You better not be. I don't want to have to take care of two sick babies, " Denise joked.

" I oughta get you for that Mom. "

" Nah, you wouldn't do anything to your poor little mother. "

" Wanna make a bet? "

" Very funny Alexander. "

" I know, " A.J grumbled as he tickled Chase's tummy, trying to get him to cheer up and not cry, but it wasn't working.

*****

" Yo Frick! Your cell is ringing! " Nick yelled loudly from the back room.

" I'm not deaf Nick, I can hear it ringing, " Brian replied as he walked out of the bus's tiny bathroom. He reached into his bunk where his cellphone lay and and grabbed it. " Yo, this is Brian. "

" Hey Bri-Bear... "

" Lauren! Hey! " Brian answered in a hushed voice as he hurried from the bunk area, remembering that A.J was sleeping with Chase in the bunk above his. He hoped A.J hadn't heard him. " How are you? "

" I'm doing ok, considering the circumstances, " Lauren replied, her voice sounding depressed, but it felt good to hear Brian's voice, she missed being around him. " Yourself? "

" Great. Ya know, I miss ya. "

" Thanks, that makes me feel better, " Lauren answered truthfully.

" You aren't going to hang up so fast again, are ya? Cause I miss talking to ya, and hey, it ain't the same around here without you. "

" I don't see what the difference could be... "

" It's a big difference Laur. Anyways, I'm glad you called again, I didn't get to talk too much the other day. "

" Yeah, I'm sorry. "

" It's ok. What's up? "

" Nothing really, I was calling to check up on Chase. How is he? "

" He's still pretty sick. He seemed to be getting better the other day, but he got sick again, and he just threw up a little bit ago. He's sleeping with A.J right now, his medication knocked him out. "

Lauren could feel her stomach turn as she listened to Brian talk. She desperately wanted to be with her son at that moment, to hold him in her arms and make him feel better. " Oh, I was going to ask to talk to him, but since he's sleeping, I'll wait. "

" If you want, I can go wake him up. "

" No, that's ok. He should rest, I'm more concerned about his health. "

" Is everything alright Laur? " Brian asked with concern.

" Not really, but I'm not going to trouble you with my problems. That wouldn't be fair to you. "

" You know that if you ever need to talk, I'm here to listen. "

" I know, and I'm thankful for that Bri-Bear. That helps alot. "

" Any chance that I can convince you to come back on the tour? "

" Not with what's going on between me and A.J. It wouldn't work. I've screwed up and I'm having to face that fact, that and it's over between A.J and I, so it wouldn't be a good idea for me to come back on the tour. " Lauren paused for a minute as she sighed. " Listen, the reason why I'm calling is because I need to talk to Denise... "

" Why'd you call my cell then? " Brian asked in a puzzled tone.

" Because if I called your number, I was least likely to have A.J pick up and- "

" So you didn't call to talk to me. "

" Brian- "

" No, that's fine. I didn't expect you to call to talk to me. "

" Brian- "

" I'll go get Denise for you. "

" Brian- " Lauren waited for an answer but recieved none. Instead, she heard Brian talking quietly in the background. A minute later, she heard the phone being shuffled to someone else.

" Hello? "

" Denise? "

" Lauren. "

" I'm assuming you really don't want to talk to me, but- "

" Don't assume anything until you know all the facts Lauren, " Denise answered softly, taking a seat on a chair.

" I just figured you'd hate me because of what Alex told you... "

" I don't hate you, and I never have. To tell you the truth, I am quite surprised at what's happened. "

" The whole Devon thing? " Lauren cringed as she said the words.

" Not just that, but the whole divorce issue. "

" I think everyone is. "

" I just want to know one thing... "

" Yeah? "

" Why did you leave? "

" Because, I couldn't stay. I was just causing problems. It was better that I left. "

" Why'd you leave Chase? If you were going to leave, you should have never left Chase, and I'm not saying that because I'm taking your side, it was- "

" I know, damnit, I shouldn't have left him. It was the stupidist and most selfish thing I could have done and I regret it more then you'll ever know. I didn't leave him on purpose, and God forbid that I left him because I don't love him. I love my son with all my heart and soul. Chase is my life Denise, I love him too much to just get up and leave him with out a reason. "

" Honey- "

" I was just confused, scared and upset, and I know I shouldn't use that as an excuse, because I have no excuse for leaving him and I'm sorry! "

" Honey, calm down, " Denise answered softly, hearing the tears in Lauren's voice. " I'm not blaming you for that, I just wanted to know why you left in the first place and why you left Chase. He misses you so much right now and he doesn't know where you are. He wants you badly, especially since he's been so sick, he keeps calling out your name. It's hard on him Lauren. "

" I know that, I never meant to hurt him! I love him alot! I do, I swear! "

" I know you do honey. "

" I want him to be flown back home to Orlando. I'd come get him myself, but that wouldn't go good with Alex, I just don't want to cause any more problems, seeing I've already ruined things enough. "

" I don't know what to say... "

" I need you to help me make arrangements to have Chase flown home tomorrow. "

" But Lauren- "

" Please Denise! "

" Who you talking to Mom? " Lauren heard A.J call out groggily as he neared Denise. She winced.

" Jackie Littrell, " Denise lied. " Go back to sleep you bum. "

" Nah, I'm up now, but tell Jackie I said hi. "

" Will do, " Denise answered. " Listen, " she said in a hushed voice as A.J walked away. " Let me think this over. I'll call you in the morning. I hope you know what you're asking me to do. "

" Thank-you, " Lauren whispered.

" I'll talk to you in the morning. "

" Give Chase a kiss from me? Send him my love? "

" I will, I'll be sure to tell him you said hi as soon as he wakes up. "

" Thank-you Denise. "

Lauren said her good-bye and gently hung up the phone. She sighed a breath of relief, but it ended shortly because she knew only the worse was to come.