- Text Size +
Chapter 87:

After AJ had violently hung up on Denise she had retreated to the room Sherrie had laid out for her. Chase seemed quite disturbed from Denise's quick exit. Lauren was afraid to ask what happened.

"Denise?" Sherrie called quietly, she tapped on the door. She heard a muffled sound of crying. Lauren hugged Chase tightly as he laid still.

"Can we come in Denise?" Lauren called softly.

No reply.

Lauren shrugged and walked into the room. She frowned as she watched Denise crying softly into her hands. Sitting on the nearby bed.

"What happened?" Sherrie asked.

"I should have been there for them... I just should have been there for her...and him..." Denise sobbed. Lauren frowned as Chase's eyes began to fill with tears. He had no clue why his grammy was crying.

"Chase, go play." Lauren ordered softly. Chase looked at his mother for a moment, deciding if he should fight it. But then relented and walked away.

"Be there for who?" Sherrie, Lauren's mom, asked Denise as she sat down on the bed. Denise reached and plucked a tissue from the tissue box.

"Nastasia and Alex." Denise sobbed.

"What happened when you called?" Lauren asked.

"Nastasia was just sobbing so hard...I have no clue. Howie was yelling at Alex to stop hurting Nastasia. Alexandria was crying terribly. It...It...It sounded like everything...had just been torn apart..." Denise whispered, trying to regain her composure.

"Alex was so terribly mad. I know he was. He just screamed...and screamed... Telling me I had no right... I'm his grandmother...I had the right... Then he said he wanted nothing to do with me...and...and...he slammed the phone down. My own son..." Denise sobbed.

"Oh De." Sherrie sighed, hugging Denise tightly. Denise invited the warm embrace, she felt so cold.

"I promised myself since Alex's father left that I would take care of him...and I have Sher, I have. Then Nastasia came into the picture, and I promised myself that I would take care of her. And I have. I was even going to have the adoption papers flown up to have me sign them...Surprise her on Alexia's birthday. She's twenty-two, she deserves a mother now..." Denise sobbed.

Lauren felt her heart race. That's all Nastasia had really wanted. A mother and father. Denise had been her mother all along. And Lauren had been her sister. Now Nastasia had been thrown away by them, casted away like a piece of trash. Lauren winced, she suddenly felt sick.

"You can still have the papers flown-" Sherrie tried.

"I don't know. Something inside her broke when I told her what I was doing. Like her faith in me was suddenly tainted." Denise sobbed harder, she hurt so bad when she saw the disapprovement in Nastasia's eyes. It was like something inside Denise had died.

"But-"

"Sher, something was wrong today. I know Alex did something he shouldn't have. I know he did. I could feel it in my bones, and I'm afraid whatever he did...it was to Nastasia."

"But-" Lauren tried to deny it, but Denise wouldn't let her get a word in.

"Alex's anger is very violent. Usually Nastasia can handle him, but I don't think she had a chance. I just know it, Sher...I can feel it in my bones... And it's all my fault. I should be there with my daughter and my son...But I'm not..." Denise sobbed as she collapsed deeper into a pit of dispair.

"Maybe you should call?" Lauren asked gently. Denise looked up for a moment, she pondered the thought. But would anyone even speak to her?

********

Nick sat in his hotel room. He had managed to get Nastasia back to the hotel. He knew she was hurting badly. She was emotionally drained. Nick silently wished he could take away her pain.

"It'll be okay Nastasia." Nick whispered as he placed a tender kiss on the top of her head. She was laying down on her stomach in Nick's lap. He gently stroked her head as he applied ice to Nastasia's back, it was swelling a bit from the bruises.

"Hey, is Stazzie in here?" Nick heard a voice call. He jumped a bit to see Howie standing there. A dark look in his eyes as he saw Nick sitting there with Nastasia's shirt up and him holding ice on her bare back.

"She's here. How's J?" Nick asked as Nastasia moaned a little. She didn't awaken, she just cuddled deeper into Nick's lap. He felt Howie's glare brighten.

"Fine. Concussion. He's staying overnight." Howie grumbled. Everyone seemed to be mad at him. He looked at his wife and felt his anger mix with sadness.

Nastasia's back was badly beaten. The bruises were dark, tracing all the way down her back. Little scratches on her back every so often. And a deeper one on her right shoulder blade. He knew she was in terrible pain.

"How's the hand?" Nick asked.

"Broken." Howie shrugged, it hurt badly. Kevin and Brian were still steamed at him. Kevin hadn't said more than two words to him. He stated that he would take Alexandria for awhile until he gave her to Nastasia.

"You broke your hand?"

"See the ace bandage? No working out. In about a week I'm supposed to go to the next hospital we're at and have a cast placed on it. For now I get the lovely ace." Howie replied sarcastically. "So is there a reason my wife is sleeping in your lap with her shirt halfway off?"

"I found her and she was terribly upset. Like she was back inside her past expirences. AJ definitely shook her up. She got upset and didn't want to be alone. She hurt badly and fell asleep, so I put ice on her back while she slept." Nick explained simply.

"Nick?" Nastasia moaned softly. She pushed herself up gently, her back aching as much as her head did. She looked to see Howie in the doorway, he looked mangaled. She winced.

"Howie wants to talk with you. Want me to leave?" Nick asked softly.

"No." Nastasia whispered. She turned to look at Howie. He looked to be in a terrible amount of pain. She couldn't tell whether it was emotion or physical pain.

"Hey baby."

"Don't hey baby me." Nastasia whispered, "You hurt JJ!"

"AJ hurt you!" Howie spat, "I was defending you!"

"By knocking him out?" Nastasia whimpered, "You didn't have to hurt him."

"He knocks the hell out of you and I'm the one getting in trouble?!" Howie groaned, "This is pure bullshit! I look out for my wife and child, and I get in trouble! Jezz! Thanks Nastasia! Not once have I put a bruise on your fucking body. AJ plasters you with fucking bruises and you stick up for him!"

"I'm not-"

"YOU ARE TOO!" Howie yelled back. Nastasia winced as Nick wrapped his arms around her frail body. She was trembling with intense pain.

"I am not. And I don't want to talk." Nastasia whispered, feeling like her world was crashing down around her. Again.