- Text Size +
Chapter 88:

The atmosphere on the bus was quiet as they headed to their next destination, North Carolina. Nastasia hadn't spoken to Howie since the day before, no matter how much Howie tried to talk to her. She was dissappointed in him. A.J hadn't tried to come near her, much less come near anyone else. He more like hid in his bunk the whole time and slept. No one had really seen him since Brian had picked him up from the hospital.

Now, everyone, excluding Howie, Brian and A.J, were relaxing in the back room of the bus. Brian had gone to talk to Howie a while back and A.J was once again in his bunk, but noone seemed to be bothered by it.

" That's my girl, " Nastasia smiled as she reached her arms out to Alexandria. Her eyes had brightened a bit since the incident, basically for the fact that she was trying desperately to put it behind her and forget about it.

Alexandria giggled at her mother as she walked over to her, still a little stumbley with her steps, but she was getting better. Nastasia was really proud. Her birthday would be coming up in a few months, Nastasia couldn't believe her daughter would be a year old soon.

" Mama, " Alexandria cooed, falling into her mother's arms as she reached her.

" Now I'm really going to have to keep an eye on you, you little stinker, cause you just gonna be running all over the place, " Nastasia laughed as she smothered her daughter's face with kisses, sending the child into a fit of giggles.

" She sure has grown, " Kevin stated, smiling at the pair sitting on the floor before him. " I remember when she was first born. "

" See, that's one thing I envy about women. Them being able to poop something the size of a watermelon out of their butt. I don't see how they can do it. I mean damn... " Nick said, reaching over and tickling Alexandria's tummy.

" We don't poop them out Carter, because then they would just stink. We push them out, " Nastasia laughed, both their faces turning red. Kevin just laughed.

" They stink anyways, " Nick answered.

" Hey Carter, you better watch it! " Nastasia replied, smacking him on the shoulder. " Anyways, I bet you were the smelliest baby ever! "

" I was not! "

" I bet you were, your mom never told you to save you from embarrassment. "

" That's mean Stazzie. "

" Sorry, " Nastasia shrugged. " I was only kidding. "

" You better have been. "

" Poor Nick, you take things way too seriously, " Kevin joked, slapping him on the back. Nick just rolled his eyes in reply. " Stazzie, have you talked to Howie at all today? "

Nastasia looked back at Kevin, a hurt look washing across her face. " No, and I don't plan on it either. "

" How come? "

" I'm dissappointed in him, angry. He shouldn't have done what he did. "

" I agree and I'm dissappointed too, but sweetheart, he was only trying to look out for you, " Kevin answered.

" So? He didn't need to do what he did. "

" He did that because he loves you. Like I said, he was only trying to look out for you. If you were my wife, I would have done the same thing, " Kevin answered, the most serious look on his face.

Nastasia felt a smile creep onto her lips. " Thanks... "

" I would have too! " Nick piped, trying to get a word in.

Nastasia laughed. " You are such a dork, but that's why I love ya. Thanks. "

" So promise you'll talk to him later? " Kevin asked.

" I'll think about it. I just don't want to talk to him right now. "

" Alright, that's better than nothing. "

" Dada? " Alexandria giggled, beaming up at her mother.

" No, not dada, " Nastasia laughed, rolling her eyes.

*****

Howie sighed again as he plopped back down at the table in the kitchen area. He was about ready to go try to talk to Nastasia again, but he decided against it. He was just going to give her time to cool down, he didn't want to upset her again.

He was hoping to God that A.J wouldn't emerge from his bunk because he knew he was bound to go after him again. He was angry that A.J could even think that about Nastasia, more or less, say that about her, especially to Howie's face. He was feeling so much hate towards A.J. A.J still hadn't come out, so far so good.

" Hey D, how's the hand? " Brian asked, taking a seat across from Howie at the table.

Howie looked up and offered Brian a half smile. " It hurts but I'll live, " he answered.

" You gone to talk to Stazzie yet? "

" I will later, " Howie grumbled as he looked away and stared out the window.

" Why not now? "

" Because she's mad at me. "

" I'd hate to see you guys having problems again. "

" We aren't having problems! " Howie snapped, catching Brian off guard.

" Sorry, " Brian mumbled, leaning back in his seat. He opened his mouth to say something, but his cellphone rang. He stood up reaching into his pocket and walked off as he answered it. " Hello? "

" Hello Brian. "

" Hey Denise. "

" Could we talk? "

" I don't see why not. "

" I'm guessing you've heard about what's happened? "

" Yes, I have and I'm surprised. "

" Well, I'm not expecting you to understand why I did it. "

" I think I do. "

" I'm just hoping you won't hold it against me like my son and daughter have. "

" I don't think I'm really in the position to hold it against you. I don't know the full story, all I know is Lauren had called me and told me she wanted Chase back. That's all I know. "

" I've probably made the biggest mistake by doing this, but I did it for Chase's own good...I just wish A.J could understand that. "

" Something happened... "

Denise paused. " W-what do you mean something happened? "

" A.J freaked out on Nastasia and hurt her, it was kinda bad, on her back, left some bruises. It's doing better now, but that wasn't the worse that happened. "

" Oh my God... " Denise gasped, knowing she was right that something had happened. " What else happened? "

" A.J said some pretty nasty things about Nastasia, to Howie, and well, Howie just flipped. A.J had come out to where Kev and I were playing pool and he was all ranting and raving about Nastasia, he's blaming her for you taking Chase back to Lauren, and then Howie came out after him and it just turned ugly. "

" My God... "

" Kev and I tried to hold the guys away from each other, than Nick came out and Kev went to go get Nastasia. Things got bad, and Howie ended up knocking A.J unconcious and giving him a pretty good concussion. He spent a night in the hospital. "

" Oh my God! " Denise gasped again, her heart stopping, " Brian, is he ok? "

" He's fine now, I'm guessing he's got a killer headache, but he ain't dead. Howie's got a broken hand, and Nastasia isn't talking to him. "

" I should have known this was going to happen... "

" Do you want me to put J on? "

" No, don't. We're not on speaking terms right now, " Denise answered, surprising Brian. " But, if it's not too much to ask, I would really like to talk to Nastasia. "

" Sure thing, Denise. Let me go get her. "

Denise waited in silence, feeling the tears well in her eyes. She couldn't believe she had caused all of this to happen.