- Text Size +
Chapter 89:

Brian ran back the hallway of the bus. He jogged into the room to find Nastasia on Kevin's lap playing a video game with Nick. Kevin was cheering Nastasia on as Alexandria played on the floor with blocks.

"STAZ! RUN HIM OFF THE ROAD!" Kevin yelled loudly, making Nastasia squeal. She laughed as Nick's car went flying off the road. He cursed as he threw his control down.

"NASTASIA ANNE!" Nick called loudly as he lunged at Nastasia, sending both her and him onto the ground. With a large thud Nastasia hit the floor on her back, she felt the intense pain creep up her back.

"Nick, get off!" Nastasia yelled as the pain started to throb. Nick jumped off quickly, knowing what was the matter. He quickly pulled Nastasia up.

"Ohmigod, are you okay?!" Nick asked immediatly as Nastasia winced, stretching her back as much as possible. It was still extremely tender, so Nastasia just wore baggy t-shirts.

"Fine, fine, fine." Nastasia gritted as Brian tapped softly on the door. She jumped a bit, hoping that it wasn't Howie. Which it wasn't, "What's up Bri-Bear?"

"Denise is on the phone."

Nastasia's heart jumped a mile. She hadn't talk to Denise since the accident. "What's she want?"

"She wants to talk."

"Okay."

Nastasia took the phone from Brian and walked out of the backroom, heading towards the front of the bus, passing the kitchen area, but not saying a word to Howie.

"Hello?" Nastasia called softly into the phone. Her heart raced a million beats a minute as she sat on one of the chairs in front, drawing her long tan legs to her chin.

"Honey, it's Mom."

"H-Hi." Nastasia managed to stumble out. She didn't know how she was supposed to act. She felt her emotions become tangled.

"Will you agree to talk to me? That's all I ask for."

"Um..." Nastasia hesitated, biting down on her bottom lip. "Sure..."

"Brian told me what happened," Denise said softly, trying to not let her emotions choke her voice.

"Look it wasn't your fault." Nastasia sighed, she didn't even want to think about it. The bruises and the bump were her friendly reminder.

"It was too. I shouldn't of taken Chase. I did what I thought was right. I'm sorry that Alex hurt you-"

"I deserved it. I should have-"

"You didn't deserve it!" Denise answered as tears trickled down her cheeks. "Alex shouldn't have done what he did. He really does love you Nastasia. He does. He just didn't know what to do about Chase, I know I upset him."

"It's not your fault either." Nastasia answered, "I know JJ is going through a rough time. I wanted to be there, but obviously he doesn't want me there."

"Join the club." Denise muttered, "But he'll open up to you Nastasia. He'll know what a fool he has been. He loves you dearly, I know he can't imagine what his life would be without you."

"He loves you too. He just thinks you dissed him." Nastasia sighed as tears started to trickle down her cheeks, "I'm sure he'll want to talk with you again."

"I hope so baby." Denise answered, "I'm glad you're talking with me. I must admit that my thoughts that I had lost you were a little more real when Alex hung up on me."

"I know." Nastasia answered, "How's Chase?"

"He's fine sweetie. He's doing much better, he's not sick anymore. Which I thank heaven every day for. Of course he keeps asking where his Aunt Stazzie is."

"I'm doing my job." Nastasia muttered, usually she loved touring. But this tour had been nothing but a disaster.

"How's Alexia?"

"Walking. Walking really well. She even says love you." Nastasia answered, smiling softly as she pictured her daughter in her head. A wonderful thought taking the place of the sour note in her heart.

"How sweet." Denise cooed, "How are you? Did he hurt you super bad? Or is it just a little bruised?"

"A little bruised." Nastasia lied, her back was bruised from shoulders to the bottom. She couldn't lay on her back at all, and it hurt to press her back against anything.

"I'm still sorry. It doesn't hurt too bad?"

"No. Don't worry about it Mo-Denise." Nastasia answered, hesitating on which to call her.

"Denise? When have you ever called me Denise?" Denise asked, the words shocking her as much as they did Nastasia. She felt like a knife had tore through her body as Nastasia called her Denise.

"I don't know...I'm just so confused."

"Honey, I love you. I never meant to hurt you or Alex. I know I made a terrible mistake, but Chase needed his mother. You have to understand what I had to do. I risked both Alex and your emotions. I'm sorry baby. I really am." Denise answered, pouring out her heart and soul to Nastasia.

"But-" Nastasia refused to say any more. Her biological mother's voice chimed in her ears. The words of love and things pouring out like filthy white lies.

"I just want my daughter and son back." Denise whispered.

"Your what?"

"Daughter and son."

"Daughter?"

"And granddaughter."

"What?"

"Nastasia, you are my daughter. Even if I didn't give birth to you, you are mine. I wouldn't have it any other way. You ARE my daughter Nastasia, my daughter."

"But-"

"Don't argue."

"Sorry." Nastasia answered, chuckling a bit. Her heart feeling a lot lighter. It felt like some of the weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

"Will you call me mom?" Denise asked softly, hoping Nastasia wouldn't break her heart again.