- Text Size +
Chapter 96:

A.J stared down at the cellphone, his mind racing. He still had no desire to talk to his mother because of the great amount of betrayel he felt. But the more he stared on at the phone, the more he wondered if he should actually call her.

"Well JJ?" Nastasia questioned, waiting for him to make a move to dial the number, but he didn't.

"I don't know Stazzie...I just don't want to talk to her..." A.J sighed as he leaned back into his seat and let his hands rest on his lap, still eyeing the phone.

"I know you don't want to JJ, but eventually, you're going to have to. So why not do it now?" Nastasia questioned softly.

"Because she betrayed me Stazzie..."

"She didn't do it on purpose, she took Chase out of the goodness of her heart. She thought she was doing what was best for him."

"But he's my son. I'm supposed to decide what's best for him."

"Mom cares about Chase dearly. He's her grandson. If she didn't think taking him back to Orlando was right, then she wouldn't have done it."

"But-"

"Don't you care that Chase is doing better and that he's not sick anymore?"

"Yes, I do care."

"Then why are you still holding a grudge against Mom?"

A.J tilted his head back, staring up at the ceiling as he sighed. "I don't know."

"JJ...Mom loves you very much. She didn't do this to hurt you. She never meant to hurt you. But it's breaking her heart that you refuse to talk to her."

"I don't know what to do Stazzie..."

"Call her JJ," Nastasia spoke softly as A.J sat up.

*****

"Hurry up Grammy!" Chase yelled as he pounded on Denise's door, he was raring to go have pizza.

"I'll be out in a minute sweetheart," Denise called, trying to hide the depression from her voice.

"What did you say were the plans for today?" Sherrie asked her daughter as she walked into the kitchen.

"I thought we'd take Chase out for pizza and then go shopping, because I need to get some new pairs of shorts," Lauren answered.

"Like you don't have enough pairs already."

"Funny Mom."

"I thought it was," Sherrie laughed as she heard the phone ring. she walked into the living-room to answer it. "Hello?"

"Hello Sherrie."

"Alexander," Sherrie gasped quietly, his voice catching her off guard. "Why are you calling?"

"I was calling to talk to my mother. Is she around?"

"Yes, she is Alexander," Sherrie answered. "Let me go get her for you." She stood up with the phone in her hand and walked down the hallway. She stopped at Denise's door and knocked. "Denise, you've got a phone call."

Denise opened the door and half-smiled at Sherrie as she took the phone. "Hello?"

"Hi Mom, it's me..."

"Alex!" Denise gasped, surprised to hear her son's voice on the other end. She walked back into the bedroom and shut the door.

"What's up mom?" AJ asked as he leaned back on the couch. Nastasia stayed right by his side, it wasn't like she could leave anyway. He was holding her hand tightly.

"We were just getting ready to leave. We're taking Chase out for Pizza," Denise answered, the sound of her voice changing. She was extremely happy he had called.

"Should I call back later?" AJ asked as Nastasia punched him in the shoulder playfully.

"No, that's ok. We're not leaving for a while," Denise quickly answered.

"Oh, okay."

"How are you doing?"

"I'm...alive...Stazzie forgave me...So, I guess it's all good." AJ sighed.

"I'm glad to hear that."

"She punched me through a wall first, but then she forgave me."

"OMG..."

"Mom, I was playing." AJ answered, chuckling lightly.

"That's not funny Alex... "

"Sorry."

"So...I'm surprised you called... " Denise hesitated.

"I am too. Leave it up to Nastasia to force me into things..."

"Oh...you didn't want to call... "

"Wait, I didn't mean it like that mom."

"No, I understand."

"No mom, you don't."

"Fine Alex, what don't I understand? "

"I wanted to call. I just don't know. I'm confused. You hurt me when you took Chase, like you just forfitted my rights to Chase, that hurt."

"I never meant to hurt you by taking him Alex, I only did what I thought was right."

"I know, it just hurt mom. Now I know that Chase is fine, I guess it makes me feel worse that I couldn't do my job as a parent."

"You were doing just fine as a father. So don't say you weren't."

"But Chase got sick mom. I let him get sick." AJ whispered as tears threatened his eyes, "Then I was a bad husband...and then a bad brother..."

"Alex...sweetheart...Chase got the flu...you didn't know that was going to happen. And how can you say you were a bad husband?" Denise asked softly.

"I made Lauren run to another man...another man...how could I let that happen?" AJ asked, his feelings flowing out of his mouth. Chilling Nastasia's insides.

"Alex..."

"Then I go and hurt Stazzie, I didn't mean to. Then Howie jumps down my throat. I hurt Stazzie mom, I just plain hurt her..." AJ took a deep breath, "Howie hates me, he's my best friend mom. I just messed everything up"

"So you made a few mistakes. It's not the end of everything...you can still fix things," Denise answered, hearing the depression move to her son's voice.

"How?"

"That's not for me to decide, but I know you'll figure it out. You're smart Alex, you always have been, no matter how many mistakes you've made. "

"Are you saying I'm one big screwup?" AJ chuckled, trying to get a happier thought through his head.

"No and don't go putting words in my mouth. I'm saying you've always been smart. "

"Look, mom..."

"What?"

"I'm sorry. I never should have pushed you out of my life. I was wrong, I was totally wrong..."

"Alex."

"I just want my mom back. Nastasia got to have you back, why can't I have you back too? Please mom. I do miss you. I really do."

"I know sweetie-"

"Mommy?" AJ sniffled, making Denise and Nastasia both laugh.

"Fine, you big cry baby."

"YAY!" AJ laughed.

"That's good." Denise nodded as the door burst open. It was Chase yet again. His eyes were dark and fiery as he looked at his grandmother.

"What part of we're going to get pizza don't you understand grammy?" Chase asked with a growl, making Denise laugh harder.

"Is that Chase?" AJ asked hopefully.

"Yes, it is."

"My God, let me talk!" AJ answered quickly.

"Chase, guess who's on the phone." Denise answered.

"Who?"

"Guess."

"Aunt Stazzie?"

"No."

"Lexie?"

"No."

"Uncle Howie?"

"No."

"MAN! I GIVE UP!" Chase sighed.

"Your daddy."

*****

"CHASE?!" AJ squeaked into the phone. His heart pounded with an intense rhythm as Nastasia stood and walked to the back room. She knew he needed to be alone.

"DADDY!" Chase screamed into the phone.

"Hey Chaser, how are you?!"

"Good, I'm here with mommy now."

"That's nice."

"Where are you?!"

"I'm in Nevada with your Aunt Stazzie."

"You having fun?"

"No, I'm missing my Chase."

"Then come home."

"I can't."

"Why?" Chase pouted as he sat down beside his grandmother. His eyes were showing his frustration. He hadn't gone at least a day without seeing his aunt or father. It was extremely hard on him.

"I'm working."

"That's what Aunt Stazzie said too."

"I'm sorry sweetie. But I have a giant present for you."

"REALLY!?"

"Yeah, it'll come on Valentine's day."

"Really?!"

"Yeah, I'm going to send it in the mail. Your grammy will make sure you get it okay bud?"

"Yeah, is mommy mad at you still?"

"Huh?"

"She's not mad at Aunt Stazzie...So, why is she mad at you?"

"I don't know..." AJ hesitated.

"Oh."

"Well, Chase, I better let you go get your pizza."

"I'll eat TEN slices for you!"

"Okay." AJ laughed.

"I love you daddy."

**********

Almost immediatly after AJ was off the phone Nastasia came tearing into the room. She jumped on the couch and threw her arms around AJ's shoulders. Hugging him tightly as AJ laughed.

"You made up with mom?!" She asked breathlessly.

"Yes." AJ smiled, "Thanks to you."

"And Chase?"

"He misses me."

"Duh!"

"Ha!" AJ smiled as he swatted at her. She giggled as she fell back onto the couch. Staring up at the ceiling, she closed her eyes for a moment. "What's on your mind?"

"When you gonna make up with Howie?"

"Let's change that subject." AJ frowned.

"He's your best friend-"

"Correction, was."

"But JJ..."

"Don't try to accomplish too many miracles in one day Nastasia Anne." AJ warned with a smirk as he kissed her cheek. He was extremely happy to have her rays of sunshine back in his life.

"Sorry JJ, but I better go. Howie's starting to wake up and so is Lexie. She's going to need a bottle, and Howie's going to need pain medication." Nastasia answered as she stood up and stretched, AJ caught a glimpse of a manilla envelope in her hands.

"What's that Staz?" He asked, pointing.

"Oh, Kevvy said it's for you. He said the hotel recieved it this morning before we left. He asked me to give it to you." Nastasia shrugged as she handed AJ the package. "I better go." She kissed his cheek.

"Love you." She chirped as she walked back to the bunkbeds again.