- Text Size +
Reality Check - Chapter 6 "Okay, stuck in this set up apartment, no food in the cupboards, no phone, this practical joke really blows," Nick mumbled as he looked at his surroundings in the one room apartment. "I guess I walk to the store then until I can call a cab back."

Once outside, Nick looked at the street sign hoping that he would be able to figure out exactly where he was. He met a woman on the sidewalk and decided to take a chance and ask her where the nearest grocery store was.

"Three blocks north," the woman replied after staring at him as if he had flown in on a spaceship.

"Thanks," Nick mumbled in reply as he stuck his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. Walking slowly down the street, Nick thought about the predicament the guys had placed him in with this elaborate practical joke they had set up. Nick wondered why they went to such lengths on staging a fake job, a fake apartment, the whole thing.

Grinning as he looked at the pay phone on the corner, Nick wondered if Brian's name could possibly be in the phone book. To his disappointment, he discovered that the booth had been stripped of a phone book.

"Just peachy!" Nick shouted as he kicked the door. "Okay, information, I'll just call information," he decided outloud. As he punched in 4-1-1 he mumbled, "Yeah, just wait, he will have an unlisted number."

An automated voice greeted Nick. "Please deposit twenty-five cents."

Obeying the command, he was rewarded with a new automated voice. "What city and state please?"

Nick's brow furrowed. He didn't know where he was exactly. With a stroke of genius, he pulled his wallet out of his back pocket and took a glance at his "drivers license."

"Bradenton Florida."

The automated voice then asked what name Nick was in search of.

Nick rolled his eyes as he clearly stated, "Brian Littrell."

"One moment please," the automated voice droned.

"Hi this is the operator, could you please spell the last name?"

Nick quickly cleared his throat. "Oh, um, it's L-i-t-t-r-e-l-l, Brian."

"One moment please," the voice announced.

There was a click and suddenly Nick was once again rewarded with an automated voice. "The number you requested is area code 941-865-7898 and can be connected for an additional 65 cents. If you need further assistance, please remain on the line."

"SHIT, I don't have 65 cents!" Nick moaned. Hanging up the phone, he kept repeating Brian's phone number over and over so he wouldn't lose it. He quickly dialed 1-800-CALLATT figuring Brian would just have to accept a collect call since he stranded him in this stupid practical joke.

"Hello?" Brian quietly answered the phone.

"Hi this is the AT&T operator. Would you accept a collect call from, sir state your name?"

"Nick Carter," Nick announced confidently into the receiver.

"No."

Nick's eyes widened. "Brian! Come on! You can't...hello? hello? Dammit!" Slamming the receiver back onto the cradle, Nick stormed out of the phone booth. "How the hell can he do this to me? What an asshole!"

Just as he was about to give up all hope, Nick got another idea and hurried down the street towards the grocery store in search of a phone book and Brian's address.

"Fake or not, I'm going to find his ass!" he stated through gritted teeth.