- Text Size +
27



He’s Here…






I sat across from AJ and Howie, as I finally managed to calm myself down. The lobby was oddly quiet considering all of the people who were right outside waiting for just a glimpse of one of us. My thoughts once again turned to Nick. I’m sure the last thing he would want to deal with when he got here was the screaming fans outside. I turned to the door to see about ten people peering in from the outside. Our security wouldn’t let them come in, which seemed perfectly fine to the hotel manager. Sometimes they gave us a hard time about that. Everyone should be allowed in, but these guys were willing to work with us, probably because they sensed our disdain for being there in the first place.



Gary hadn’t called us back yet, and I know to me I understood what that meant. We were going to be trapped at this place. I let out a big sigh which of course caught AJ and Howie’s attention, “You okay Brian?”



Was it wrong of me for being sick of hearing that? I know they meant well but after awhile it just got old. I found myself trying to hide my emotions from them because it was just easier than explaining that I was good and just felt the need to sigh.



“Brian?” That’s when I realized I never answered them so I looked up and smiled, as best I could anyway.



“Yeah, I’m fine…just tired.”



“Fuck it! Why don’t we just go check ourselves into a Motel 6 or something?” AJ said getting up to wander around before he screamed in frustration.



“Where are you going?” Howie asked as he once again dialed our manager.



“To pee and smoke. Smoke and pee.”



“I don’t think you can smoke in the lobby and you aren’t going outside.”



“Well then at least I’m going to find a bathroom in this place. Maybe I’ll sneak a ciggy in there.”



“Getting kicked out of this place is another option.” I said lightheartedly.



“Anything I can do to help Rok, I’ll go pee in a plant if you want.”



“Just go numb nuts.” AJ saluted to me and walked off to the front desk asking about a bathroom, my eyes once again turned towards the glass doors which instantly brought about a wave of screams. I waved to the fans and they waved back.

“We can’t sit in the lobby forever.” I said to Howie as he waited for Gary to answer the phone.



“Working on it Brian.”



“When are Nick and Kevin going to get here?” Howie just shrugged at me looking nervous. I decided to ignore it for now.



I was getting nervous suddenly, when things like this happened, I just needed to make sure we were all present and accounted for. I didn’t like to be separated from the people I loved. Being the victim of violence made you realize how important everyone around you was. That just gave me an itch to call Leighanne but then again I didn’t want her to worry too much about me and if she knew we were here in this place she would worry.



Of course in my heightened state of paranoia my thoughts when to AJ, I suddenly didn’t like the idea of him being all by himself. I stood up, “I’m going to the bathroom too.” I said now feeling I needed to almost run in there and make sure he was okay.



“Okay, I’ll just be sitting here on hold….again!”



I once again waved to the fans and walked over the front desk, “Can you tell me where your bathrooms are?”



“Just down the hall and to your left.”



“Thanks.” I walked down the small hallway and opened the door to the men’s room where the slightest hint of smoke wafted through the air.



“I can’t believe you man!” I said, relief washing over me as I saw AJ standing by the window which was opened a crack.



“I told you when a man’s gotta smoke he’s gotta smoke. You want one? You look like you need one of these.”



“No, thanks.”



“Any word from Gary yet?”



“No, Howie’s on hold.”



“Oh.” AJ put the sink on and wet his cigarette butt before throwing it in the garbage.



“Aren’t you going to pee?”



“No, I just wanted to make sure that you…” I drifted off.



AJ placed a loving hand on my shoulder, “Bri, nothing’s going to happen. Everything will be fine.”



“I wish I could believe that.”



“I know.”



When we ventured back out into the lobby, once again stopping to wave to the screaming fans; I noticed Howie was off the phone and holding his head in his hands. Not a good thing definitely not a good thing.



“D?” AJ said as I took a seat back in my comfy chair.



Immediately Howie looked up and smiled at us, “Sorry, I have a headache.”



“Don’t we all?” AJ asked sarcasm dripping from his every word.



“He said as of right now we’re stuck in this place. I’m sorry Brian…but that’s not all.”



I felt a sense of dread fall on me, feeling like a ton of bricks being planted on my chest. “What else is there Howie?”



He looked over at me and took a deep breath, “Nick…”



Before he could even finish I was up and in a full state of panic once again. The things that went through my mind in the second after I heard that one word I can’t even describe to you. How one small word, one person’s name can bring about such a flurry of memories and mental images.



“What about him?” I didn’t ask that. I wanted to but I couldn’t, my mouth wouldn’t move. Luckily AJ was as concerned as I was. All I was able to do was stare at Howie as he continued.



“When the lights went back on, they had trouble locating Nick at first…eventually they found him under a gurney.”



“But I thought Nick and Kevin were fine.”



“Physically but…”



“But what?” I was growing impatient with the way Howie was breaking news to us. Slow and deliberate much the same way that Kevin would.



“Nick hasn’t spoken since they found him under the gurney. He won’t talk to anyone including Kevin. He was also missing a big chunk of his hair. Gary was really angry. He’s called a meeting with all of us once they get back to the hotel.”

That made me collapse back into my chair.



“And Kevin?” I heard AJ inquire as I just gazed at the floor, trying not to think about what I just heard,



“He’s fine; he hasn’t left Nick’s side since they found him. They’re on their way, they wanted to keep Nick but Kevin refused to let them.”



“The cat’s going to be out of the bag now…” He said fidgeting as he stood; I could tell he wanted another cigarette.



“I think we should go upstairs Brian…the last thing Nick needs is to hang down here when the fans are…”



“I know…I agree.” I wouldn’t let Howie finish. Instead I stood up and made my way over to where the elevators were. “Why don’t you go get us the keys?” I said dejectedly as I pushed the up button. Fans once again screamed but this time I didn’t look their way, afraid they would see the tears in my eyes.



AJ walked over next to me and did wave at the fans as the elevator door opened. “Don’t you think we should wait until we at least know where we’re going Rok?”



“Does it matter?” He looked at me confused; I’m sure trying to figure out the right thing to say. Howie came running into the elevator and handed AJ a key, “You need to put it in that slot, I guess we have the penthouse suite.”



“Great.” I said as I watched AJ place the key in the slot.



We walked slowly down towards the hallway where only four rooms stood. We had the key to one and when we opened it up, its size was impressive.



“Wow who knew this place had rooms like this huh?” AJ asked walking all the way in and shutting the door.



There was a massive living room with three full sized sofas and a huge wide screen TV as well as a table, piano and bar. There were four smaller rooms inside, each having their own separate key. We all stood awkwardly staring at those doors. “Maybe we should all room in the same one?” Howie asked more as a quiet offering to me.



“It’s okay Howie, I’ll share a room with Nick, and you guys can each have your very own.



“Are you sure because we all could…”



“That would be silly.”



Howie handed me a key and then slide his own into his door and winked as he entered. I just stood there standing at mine, thoughts of coming back from a long day of playing basketball running through my head. If anyone told me that opening a hotel room door would have forever changed my life, I would have laughed in their face, but it did.



Maybe if I had followed Nick back into his room instead of insisting I needed my own space, maybe the guy would have gotten bored waiting for us and left. That’s all it was. A simple case of opening a stupid do…



“Rok?”



I turned towards AJ, not realizing he had been watching me the entire time. “You okay?” There was that question again.



“Fine…I just, maybe I’ll just wait out here until Nick and Kevin get back.” AJ put his key away, “I’ll wait with you.”



I smiled at him and together we walked back into the living room and waited for Nick and Kevin.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~




When they first walked in, I didn’t know what to say. Nick was clutching onto Kevin as if he were a life raft and if he let go, he’d drown. They were alone, just the two of them and the security guard that escorted them to the hospital waited outside.



“Hey…” AJ said in a whisper as he looked Nick up and down. He was wearing a hat and looking straight ahead.



“Nick why don’t you sit down right there.” Kevin said as if he were addressing a child. He led Nick to a couch and sat him down. Kevin looked at me and sighed, he looked as if he aged twenty years. He motioned for me to follow him away from Nick who was now staring straight ahead as AJ sat next to him and placed his arm around Nick’s shoulders.



“Why are we at this place?”



“Gary said nowhere else was available.”



“Brian…I had to tell Gary about what happened. There were too many questions.”



“I know, I figured you’d have to. What happened? Why is he like that?”



Kevin glanced over at Nick, making sure he was okay than continued, “I wish I knew. We were waiting for x-rays and they had just separated us when the lights went out. I didn’t even hesitate. I got up out of my wheelchair and ran to Nick. I knew he’d freak. But when the lights went on we couldn’t find him.”

He sighed again and leaned against the giant table in the room, “I panicked, I can’t even tell you how nervous I was but then I saw him under a gurney. He was shaking and had a huge clump of hair in his hands. He wouldn’t talk to me, still won’t. He hasn’t said one word to anyone.”



“Maybe he’ll talk to me.”



“Are you okay Brian? I mean being here in this place? Gary said he felt bad about us having to stay here but I think he was more angry than anything else. We’re having a meeting in a little while.”



“Yeah I know, Howie mentioned it.”



“You never answered my question, are you okay?”



I smiled at him, “There‘s nothing to say really.” He nodded.



I made my way over to Nick where AJ was cracking jokes trying his hardest to get Nick to laugh. I sat on the other side of my friend who had been through so much.



“Hey buddy.” I said lovingly placing my head on his shoulder, “I’m glad you’re finally back. I needed you.”



That made him turn my way. AJ seeing that maybe I was making progress stood up and made his way to his room finally allowing himself time to chill.



“What happened Nick? Why aren’t you talking to us? And why are you pulling your hair out again?” He didn’t say anything just once again looked forward.



“Nick, I need you to be strong because I can’t go through this alone…being here in this place. It’s too much. You’re the only one who understands.” I felt myself starting to cry and made sure Kevin was out of sight before I continued. For some reason I didn’t want him to see me cry.



“The truth is I’m terrified Nick. I thought I saw…” I stopped not thinking it was a very good idea to tell him this. He once again looked over at me, tears in his own eyes now. “I just can’t be that strong and you’re the only one I’d ever let know…so please tell me what happened?”



“He’s here.” I closed my eyes and took a deep breath when my friend whispered those words.



“He was at the hospital…he’s here.” I hugged Nick and kissed the top of his head. He returned my hug just like he did that day we lay in the bathroom ready to be killed. All the while Nick repeating those words, “He’s here.”

I'll try to be back next Wednesday with another chapter. Thanks so much for reading!