- Text Size +

A few months later, Nickolina had successfully adjusted to her new home and family. Sure, she’d been living with them for the past five months, but she’d been too uptight and scared then to truly enjoy it all.

“Nickolina! Food’s ready!”

“Coming Daddy!” Nickolina called back.

She grabbed hold of Baylee’s hand and ran for the picnic table with him at her side. The two had become best friends upon meeting up. Baylee was her age, as Brian and Leighanne had gotten married when Brian was twenty and Leighanne twenty-six, they were now thirty-three and thirty-nine. Sure it had been early, and his career had just started to take off, but they’d clearly stated they wouldn’t go back and change a thing.

Baylee laughed as his best friend, and future girlfriend, dragged him over to the picnic table filled up with delicious looking food. “Slow down, Nicki!”

Nickolina giggled as she heard him use the nickname they’d all given her, stating her name was much to long to be saying all the time. Now, the only one to call her Nickolina was her father, though he too would sometimes resort to calling her ‘Nicki’, should she not be in a very responding mood. She’d also grown to know each tone of his voice, so when he called upon her, she’d know automatically whether or not she was in any trouble.

“Hey! Watch it Squirt!” Her fifteen-year-old brother Christopher exclaimed. “You almost made me drop my hotdog!”

Nickolina giggled. “Not like you can’t get another one.”

“Dad! She’s threatening my food!” Chris cried.

Their father chuckled. “Chris, relax. It’s just food, son.”

Just then, baby Michael whimpered, letting everyone know that he was hungry. He was in his father’s arms, and squirming relentlessly.

“Well, hold on their Mister,” Daddy chuckled. “Let me get your bottle out first.”

Michael settled down, upon having the bottle stuck in his mouth. He sucked away at it happily.

“Wait!” Brian cried. “Picture time! One family at a time!”

Nickolina smiled widely, as she got up to go take her place with her new family – the family she loved dearly, and wished had’ve been hers in the first place. She stood next to Chris, who draped his arm over her affectionately. He may’ve been older and acted tough, but in reality, he loved his younger siblings like crazy.

“Say cheese!” Brian cried playfully.

“CHEESE!”


Kids left to right: Top Row: Joshua & Morgan (twins), Kayla, Keith, & Allison. Kids left to right: Bottom Row: Christopher, Michael, & Nickolina.

A.N.: Well, whatcha think? Like the ending? Plz R&R. Thank-you!