- Text Size +
Rebirth

“There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea….You became the light on the dark side of me. Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill. But did you know, That when it snows, My eyes become large and…The light that you shine can be seen.” – “Kiss From A Rose” by Seal

~Chapter Nine- Higher Velocity

Her eyes take in the burning fury around her, everywhere she went, corridors were lit up in traces of snake like fiery paths. Panting, she catches her breath reaching the end of the long underground hallway. A large grate was at the end, meeting her group as she frowns. “This isn’t the way we came.”

The General rolls his eyes, “No kidding, but this was the only entrance we found before those things out there got us.”

Jynx scrunches her nose feeling the cold rush of the water that was ankle deep in this area. Her boots were soaked and she just hated the feeling of cold feet. “I think we threw them off for now. They scattered around the vicinity which can give us some time to get out of here.”

She looks up to see the pilot and one of the new marked soldiers, Brian reach them. “That took a lot of balls there doing what you did.” She smiles, kicking at the grate with a frustrated growl.

Brian nods: a slight smile crossing his heated face. “General I can find us a way back out here, once we get out of the dungeon we can make it back to the ship-.”

The tall raven haired man cuts into his sentence. “There is no ship.”

Jynx and Brian blink, stumbling back at the news.

“Whoa wait…no ship?! What the hell?” Brian frowns, his light eyes cutting across to both the general and pilot.

“It was leaking fuel and we needed more to fly out. I went after our General here, when an explosion was set off behind me.” Kevin begins to explain, catching the scared worried glances from the two.

“He’s right. The explosion was what caught my attention. Everything is gone. The poor survivors are all gone. We’re the only ones left from Earth now.” Howie whispers out, a frown deepening across his full lips.

“Crap…that just ruined my chances of being alive now.” Jynx sighs leaning against the dark cement wall.

“We’ll be fine.” Howie softly states, packing away his laser gun eyeing the two cousins.

Brian breaths out shakily, “Well lucky for us we’re taking AJ’s ship anyways.. We just need a way to get out of here. Follow me I think I know where we can go.” And with that he bounds down the waterway with resilient energy turning left down the hallway where he could remember he was first led to. Jynx raises her eyebrows and smirks catching up to the strawberry faired man hearing the General and pilot behind them.

Grinning Brian nods pointing to the curving stairwell. “These are one of the ways up. I remember seeing one of those creatures head this way.”

“Is that even an exit?” Howie frowns, “I don’t need us to walk more into their lair, we got a limited time to get out of here alive and meet the others.”

“Relax…take a deep breath.” Brian grins, starting up the stairs quickly.

“Heh…for someone being captured he’s all smiles.” Kevin jogs behind his cousin, waiting for the general and woman to follow.

Feeling his gaze on her, she blinks and eyes him: “Hmmm?”

“Let’s go.” He takes her arm gently and starts up the stairs with her besides him.

Brian reaching the top first, he steps on a grated platform looking around at the ruined metallic room. Majority of the instruments in that room were tarnished and ruined beyond recognition. What ever was in this room seemed to be of high importance, for all along the platform strewn of papyrus in ancient languages among the race’s own was imprinted neatly, writing out a coherent message to whomever would read it. Kevin catches up softly panting gently pushing aside Brian to enter more into the room.

Howie and Jynx follow behind stepping onto the grates looking around, the burning touches lit up much of the room. The smell of smoke immersed the air thickly.

“Nice welcome home party.” Jynx mumbles, watching the General still holding her arm. “Heh…you gonna let go of that or you want to keep it as a souvenir?” Indicting to her arm.

Howie blinks, letting go of her arm whispering out a sorry, he eyes befallen on the papers around him.

“Dorough look at this. Its written in this planet’s language. Think you can decode it?” Kevin holds up a stack of papyrus eyeing him.

Howie strolls over to the tall man eyeing the sheets: “Wish I could but I don’t have the necessary equipment for it.”

Frowning, Kevin tucks the sheets away in a dirty knapsack located on a dusty metal table, gripping it in his hands.

“What was the point of that? It’s doing us no good standing around here.” Brian starts saying as a bright yellow glowing orb floats into the center of the room.

“Oh damn…that’s not good.” Howie gasps leaping at Jynx, slamming her to the ground as the orb explodes.
~*~

He quietly slides along the wall, trying silently to make it out of the alien’s terrain. He watches the dark hair woman eying him, tilting her head as she walks at a slower pace behind him.

“You need to put some speed there, we’ll be here all day you walking at this rate.” Orlando gazes at the estrange beauty. They walk down a cement pathway, the only thing that can be visibly seen through the faltering light bulbs that swing aimlessly above them.

“A kiss….” Rhade forms the words with her thick lips smiling at the thought of that. “That was a nice thing wasn’t it?”

Orlando smirks, leading them down the isolated pathway. “You still hung up about that?”

“I never did that before that’s all.” She hums softly walking along with leisure.

“Heh that’s hard to believe. Someone as pretty as you and never been kissed before?”

“Yup. It was good. Maybe it can be done again if you’re lucky.” She smiles passing him, speeding down the corridor in a blinding light leaving the young adventurer behind in shock.

“What?! How?!” He struggles to catch up running as fast as his long legs can take him reaching the woman standing before an arc threshold.

“Mmm…you’re fast. You made it quickly.” She scans her hand over the closed door at the threshold tugging at the curved handle.

“It’s locked. We need to find a another way around to get out of here.”

“No. Just wait.” She whispers, her eyes gaze at the small lock which begins to melt at the door. The wooden door begins to shake, wobbling from her touch, her hands brushing over the wooden frame. It begins to splinter and bend slowly crashing onto the ground. “There we go. Now we can go.” She smiles, stepping over the rubble extending her hand out to him.

Orlando’s mouth drops open, his eyes darting over to the crumpled door and back over to her in awe. “How…what?!”

She grins, “All will be answered soon. Let’s go we don’t have much time left.”

He swallows hard, looking around her, “Heh…” He chokes out nervously walking over the shattered door taking her hand heading out of the way.

~*~

He blinks, sitting back against the wall: “Well…wasn’t expecting that story from you.” His light eyes fixture on her, “Be careful, don’t move around too much at the moment. You could reopen the cut.” A caring tone seeps out of statement as Jersey fails to hide her grin.

Not noticing her smile, Nick tugs on the wrapped gauzes around her stomach. “That whole thing you said there…you’re suppose to be a leader…wow. So what do you plan on doing when we reach that ship?”

“When we get there you’ll know. For now, we just need to escape.”

A soft scuffling is heard in the walls behind, softly scratching at first then getting louder.

“Don’t tell me something is behind those walls.” Nick frowns looking around for any kind of weapon to arm himself.

“Shhh…its probably just some insect. Those Lakniks couldn’t have found us that quick.”

Standing up, he scans the room when the scratching erupted into indents among the walls. “Ok see…now we leave.” He grabs her hand pulling her up immediately heading to their only exit.

“Wait…no. We get out of here , they’ll find us.”

“And what the hell you want us to do? Camp out here? We can’t stay hidden forever.” Nick hisses out, his grip not loosening on her hand.

“Are you giving me orders!? How dare you!”

“Excuse me? Miss I decided to hide out as a guy. Don’t pull that off with me. We can’t stay here, you understand that? I don’t even wanna know what’s making that noise behind the wall.” Nick argues, hearing a creaking sound coming from the walls that now raptures causing the walls to have crease lines.

“Whatever ‘that’ is…it wants to say hi to us.” Jersey inches back as a puff of smoke from the plaster billows out. The loud scratching noises suddenly stop, leaving the pair in utter silence. The only sound heard was their soft breathing in the room.

Then in a sudden blast from the wall, a long legged creature or rather what seemed to be a decrepit spider tittering across the wooden plank floor emerges from the crater like hole.

“Ohh…that’s nice…a huge spider…that wants to suck our blood. How cute.” Jersey fakes a smile, the statement dripping in sarcasm.

Smirking, Nick grabs her hand, tugging at it. “So yeah…now would be a nice time to go. Don’t you think?”

Jersey nods, the walls around them shaking as more of those creatures crawl behind it. “Guess they forgot to do some bug spraying today.” She frowns as they make a break back down the latch they climbed up in. The skittering of the overgrown insect can be heard as the pair make a face, bolting back down the hallway breaking into a isolated room, a door leading outside.

“HA! Yes. In your face! Spiders. WHOO.” Nick did a pre celebration dance while Jersey gently gets the corset turned back on. The laser scans over her body with just two small tiny metal pieces on her stomach, and she puts her hat back on tucking her short hair under it.

“Time to go!” She shouts out hearing the door and walls with those hideous tittering of legs around them. Nick gags a little and kicks open the door leading outside as they break into the night atmosphere spotting the ship a bit off from them.

~*~

Rhade whistles calmly stepping outside of the facility with a grin on her face. It was a piece of cake to her really. They made it out quickly and with no troubles. Yet something in the back of her mind kept wondering what will happen. She leans against the metal frame of the ship, noticing it was still just her and Orlando at the ship. Sighing, she yawns keeping her eyes on him.

“Yes?” He quirks an eyebrow at her.

“Just watching you.”

“Oh…why? Its not like I’m going anywhere.” He straightens up, popping his back. “They better get here already. It’s taking too long. Time is almost up.” He checks the small time gadget in his pocket.

“Relax adventurer. They’re not as fast as we are. Besides we cheated…” She grins, recalling earlier how she took down the door leaving the man in utter shock.

“That we did.” He leans against the ship’s mainframe watching a pair running quickly over to them.

“Oh finally people are showing up.” Orlando watches Nick and Jeremy reach the ship, each gasping for some air.

“A…big…huge…its fat!.” Nick chokes out the words.

“Spider. And lots of them.” Jeremy finishes off, glancing over at Rhade who grins mischievously

“Its just their pets. They mean no harm.” She coolly states, licking her plump lips.

“Pets?! HA. No thanks. Those suckers look like they wanted a nice piece of me in their fanged mouths. And for that, I’ll have to pass up.” Nick rolls his eyes, watching the ship.

“Where the hell is everyone else?” Jeremy rubs his nose, leaning next to the ship.

“Dunno. Been waiting, you guys are the first now to show up.” Orlando yawns, his eyes shifting over to the seductive alien.

Rhade smiles, keeping her eyes out for anyone or anything that could be approaching. Sniffing the air, she frowns, looking back at the facility. “Something’s not right…”

“What isn’t?” Jeremy asks, adjusting his baseball cap.

Rhade points to the place they had just escaped, “Something…is wrong.”

Frowning, Jeremy locks eyes on the place hearing Nick softly say that they’ll all be fine. He looks around the desolate area, large dust balls sweep across the land hoping to see the rest of the group show up.

“Guess we can sit down and wait for them I guess.” Orlando slumps against the side of the ship closing his eyes for a small moment.

Rhade keeps her index finger pointing to the alien facility standing silently.

“Err…she’s gonna be ok man?” Nick cocks an eyebrow at the other man.

Orlando frowns, looking over to her: “Look we know the Lakniks want us dead but we don’t need you pointing it out. It’s kind of creeping us out here.”

“No…listen…they’re coming.” Rhade whispers out, a strong wind begins to howl in the night atmosphere.

Turning on a laser lamp, Jersey looks around frowning hearing the same tittering sounds approaching. “Oh no…the pets want to play with us.”

Nick and Orlando bolt upright, scanning the area looking for anything to defend themselves with.

“Who’s coming exactly?” Jeremy states in a low voice.

“Just watch.” Rhade smiles, lowering her hand down to the side staring off to the dark alien building.
~*~

A.J. glances up at the grated ceiling, seeing something inhuman rush above them in their holding room.

“What’s that?” Skyla asks softly, her light eyes stare at the grates above them.

“Not sure…but if we’re gonna escape from here. We need to exit up there.” The tatted man grabs a worn chair, stepping up on it. His hands reach up to the grate, his fingers sliding onto the metal.

“Wait?! What if those things are there waiting?” Skyla frowns, steadying the chair.

“We got about ten minutes to make back to my ship. Its now or never.” He looks down at her smiling. “We’ll be fine. I’ll make sure of it.” Assuring her as he pushes the grate ceiling up shifting it over to the side. Grinning that it wasn’t indeed nailed or anything, he hoist himself up crouching the hole.

“Take my hand” He extends it down to her as she jumps up on the chair grabbing it tightly. “K…hold on.” He grunts, grabbing his other hand and slowly pulls her up with his strength. Once safely out of the room and standing besides him, he grins taking her hand as they race down a hallway slowly darkening with each step.

A low rumbling sounds off, the light skittering sounds sound off around them.

“That’s odd….what could be making that sound?” Skyla frowns, watching around her.

“Its probably just those Lakniks making noise. Don’t worry I got a gun and I know how to use it.” He smirks, resting a hand over the holster of the weapon at his waistband.

Feeling slightly better, she nods gripping his hand tightly in hers marching down the end of the hallway where a broken wall leading outside is found.

“Heh lucky us. Let’s go.” AJ. takes off running holding her near him, both bolting out of the building back to the ship.

“I see them!” She grins, seeing the familiar faces near the ship.

Letting go of her hand, Alex cheers in exultation running up to the blonde man there. “Heh just in time. Let’s board this baby and get the hell out of here.”

“Good but we’re still missing four other people.” Orlando heads over to the door of the ship.

“I’m sure they’re on their way, just board in and we’ll wait for them inside.” A.J. runs to the ship door turning a knob pressing his hand against the hand shape key hole. Green lights scan over his hand as it unlocks the small group beginning to board the ship.

A.J. looks over to Skyla and frowns not seeing her next to him. “Skyla?”

“OH…MY…GOD…” Her voice wavers out behind him a yard back.

A.J. slowly turns, blinking as a large spider like creature hovers over the blonde petite, its sharp fangs drip in saliva over her.

“Listen…Skyla…don’t move ok?” He calls out to her pulling out his gun as the spider swoop down to take a bite out of her.

With fast reflexes, he lets out a round of shots, the red lasers, striking the spider’s many legs. Hissing out, the creature squeals in pain tossing its large head back reeling in pain.

Knowing that was her break for it, Skyla runs under the creature reaching A.J. as she’s quickly pulled into the ship to join the others. Smirking, A.J follows behind shutting the door as the vibration of the dead creature lightly shakes the ground.

“Close call there.” Nick calls out, as Skyla settles down on a chair catching her breath.

“Now what?” Rhade asks, tilting her head.

“We wait that’s what.” Orlando states, his dark eyes lock on the screen watching the spider’s dead body lying there.
~*~

Coughing, he staggers standing up, waving off the smoke around him. “Guys?” He chokes out, rubbing his eyes.

“Here…” The light hair man crawls on his knees in the harsh smoke. “I’m ok…” Brian calls out seeing his cousin stand up among the ruined room. Large shattered pieces of metal protrude all around from the earlier bomb.

Howie nods glad to see that the two men are alright and calls out looking around from the petite woman. “Jynx?”

“Whooo look I got a sun tan!” The tiny woman jumps up with a sarcastic grin scrawled across her face, coughing from the intense smoke.

Smiling, he was glad to hear from her as he reaches out for her. “Seems whatever was trying to get rid of us failed.”

“And it worked to our benefit.” Kevin points out to the gaping hole on the side of the room.

“Well that’s our exit.” Brian walks over to it stepping out to the barren land. Spotting the ship a well off, he begins his trek as Kevin follows behind pulling out his weapon ready for anything.

“When I get home…I’m gonna go on a vacation.” Jynx cringes her nose. “Cause all this…ain’t cute.”

Smiling, Howie goes outside with her, following the two men and sighs in relief as the sight of the ship appearing.

“Whooo! You guys see that? That’s our ticket out of here!” Brian calls out tripping over a leg of something.

Kevin blinks, pulling Brian up and looks up frowning.

“That wasn’t part of this plan.” He whispers, gazing up at a hovering winged creature.

“Ohh let me guess…they want to play with us huh?” Jynx scowls, a rush of fear spiral down her spine. “Cause I’m all out of games heh.” She shakes a little inching near Kevin.

Howie grimaces, pulling out his laser gun shooting at the flying insect. They watch the insect scream and bat its wings at them swooping down to attack.

Orlando bolts up from the seat in the ship: “DANGER!!! There are things coming in from the sky and they’re coming down here!”

Jeremy pushes his way to the front of the ship, his eyes grow big at the sight of the flying creatures surrounding their friends. “Jynx…” He whispers out scrambling to the door.

“You’re crazy?! You’ll get yourself killed man!” A.J. holds him back, yanking him away from the exit of the ship.

“They need our help! We can’t just sit back and watch!” Jeremy struggles with the man.

“Dammit we need to get loaded up first and we’ll help them!” Orlando jumps out of his seat looking over at Rhade. “Stay here with….what’s your name?” Pointing to the blonde woman.

“Skyla.”

“Right…Skyla.” He steps aside pulling out a weapon locking the pistol in place.
Skyla quivers seeing the creatures flapping their huge wings encircling their friends outside.

“Uhh we got another problem…the ship is getting surrounded by those things.” Rhade frowns. “This must be some mutated form of those spiders.”

“Ohh right so they’re friendly pets too huh?” Nick smirks grabbing a pistol and jumps off the ship heading towards Howie to help. Orlando and Jeremy follow closely behind as A.J. sighs shaking his head.

Skyla watches them all and fakes a grin. “Anybody got marshmallows? This might be a long night.”

Rhade tilts her head smiling as she snaps her fingers letting a few marshmallows drop out of no where before the woman’s feet.

Blinking Skyla looks over at the woman in shock.

“What? You asked for marshmallows correct?”

“How…ooohhh how did you do that?” Skyla asks in awe.

“Ooohhh…well…it just flew in.” Rhade grins trying to understand why the human is in shock.

Meanwhile the battle of the creatures outside was looking hopeless as the group of men joined forces with the other four that ran into the insects.

“Jynx, run for cover. We got this covered.” Jersey looks over to her, taking her hand. “Whatever those things are….we need to get rid of them and fast.”

“Right and just a warning there are some huge spiders running around loose inside.” Jynx winces at the loud popping sounds of the creatures being shot at.

“I know…I saw them too. Go…run now I got this.” Jeremy calls out gently pushing the brunette to the direction of the ship.

Making a break for it, Jynx reaches the ship safely quickly boarding as the creatures around them begin to lessen in number.

After all the creatures were dropped dead on the ground, the men look around, heading back to the ship sighing in relief. Quickly boarding the ship, Skyla grins happy to see that no one was wounded and gazes over to A.J.

Smiling, he kisses her softly heading to the front as Kevin breaths out taking in a some air.

“Let’s fly out of here already…I’m tired.” The raven haired pilot yawns, starting the ship up.

Looking out of the window Jynx sees a what looks like a comet hit the edge of the planet from a distance.

“Its almost nice…if we weren’t in the predicament we’re in now.” Skyla whispers seeing the comet land too.

“Guys…we have another problem now.” Kevin frowns. “The motor for this ship is dead.”