- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally an update I know :) This would be Rose speaking. Sorry it took so long, I'm working on a number of projects. One of them being Code Blue, with some fantastic authors, including Lousie who wrote "The Garden", and Julie who runs Dreamer's Sanctuary and wrote "Broken". There's a new team writing Code Blue and I want y'all to check it out hehe at

http://www.geocities.com/codeblue8185/

Its a good fic and I know yall will like it.

Also, lemme know what you think of the chappie here! :)
“Rebirth”

“Lives in desperation, a world of devastation…No one knowing where it's gonna go. We got too many too hungry, it's time to stop this suffering…And I don't think we can do it on our own. And right now we need something, to save our souls… We could use some divine intervention. God, if you're listening, won't you help us, find a solution to all this confusion…we sure could some…” - Backstreet Boys, “Divine Intervention”

Chapter 10: In Need Of Saving

Everyone in the group looks at each other impatiently. They can’t remain on the planet long. They’d be found and killed, by the Mystyrians, or the Lakniks, or perhaps something else that wants to kill them. Ten pairs of eyes meet and for several moments all is silent. None of them really knew how to handle this glitch in their escape.

Brian looks at Kevin annoyed. “You sure the engine is dead?”

“Of course I’m sure cuz.”

“Great,” Jynx says with a smirk. “Anyone want to go out and push?”

Jeremy chuckles and hugs her. “Yeah Kev can try the engine and we’ll all shove it.”

AJ leans back in a chair, pulling Skyla into his lap as he watches everyone banter to relive the tension coming from the problem. He rubs her shoulders soothingly so she doesn’t worry. He himself was doing enough of that for the two of them. They didn’t have much time, and the ship won’t move. They would be sitting ducks if no one knows how to fix it.

Howard rolls his eyes. “We don’t have time for this. Does anyone here have a clue about engines?”

Nick pushes his blond hair away from his eyes. “Actually, I do.”

Jeremy raises a brow and gives Nick a look none of the others could read but him. “You?”

He shrugs. “yeah.”

Orlando watches him doubtfully. “How about I take a look at it instead pretty boy.” He heads outside arrogantly.

The blonde mutters as he follows. “Like you’re one to talk.”

Jynx laughs as she gives her own friend a look. Jersey sighs and follows. “I’ll make sure those two don’t screw up.”

The brunette watches the three go out and check the engines. Her soft tan eyes scan the room and go to the others. “okay is it just me or did those three just guarantee our doom?” She jokes, trying hard to keep the situation light.

***********

The three lift the main hood up and stare at the intricate machinery inside. When Jersey was hiding on one of space ports, she did have to do a little engine work but nothing this complicated. Just the little speeders teenagers of any species loved to use. Great. Well it had to work the same way right? She glances at Nick as he furrows his brow cutely examining the engine. Hopefully Nick really did know what he was doing. Orlando seems to be trying to do the same and happens to be getting in Nick’s way, it wasn‘t purposeful but it seems both men were getting agitated. The blond man’s blue eyes blazed slightly in annoyance. Jersey watches. This was going to be interesting. The infamous explorer versus a man who wanted to desert cause he didn’t see the point in fighting.

“Hey! I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong here if that’s ok with you.”

“Look mate, I can do this.”

“You’re gonna make it worse, don’t pull that lever.”

“I think I can handle it.”

Jersey gets between them. “Look by fighting all we’re going to do is make it so we’re stuck in this hellhole. Personally I’d rather leave, live, and find a way outta this damn mess, aight?”

The three look at each other quietly. That is until Nick starts fiddling with a part to fix what he sees is the problem. Jersey leans over, trying to remember what she knew about engines. Who knew she’d actually need the information once she left that place with Jynx?

“You think it’s the…” She pauses looking for the right term. “Philango valve? Or the…um….shit um…ah! Or the thoraxian tubes?”

He looks at her impressed. Then again why was he? He had learned earlier this girl lived by deceiving looks. Still she hadn‘t told him exactly where she had been before meeting Jynx, just that she had hid. How did she know about complicated engines? “That or maybe…”

It’s then Orlando scans the engine, almost slipping over a path of pebbles on the ground; losing his balance for a moment. During that moment, he accidentally shoves Nick aside, by default making Jeremy stumble aside as well. Nick glares. “Look I don’t care if you want the glory for fixing it, but I’d like to get my ass out of here. I know what’s wrong so back up so you don’t screw it up more!”

“Don’t you have something to cower away from?” The adventurer replies, with irritation, his British accent getting thicker as a result.

His sapphire eyes grow stony cold. “What’s that supposed to mean!?” He shoves Orlando roughly. Jersey blinks. This could only lead to bad. She steps between the two.

“This isn’t gonna solve-”

Orlando shoves him back. “Who asked you mate?”

Jersey glares. “Oh that is it…”

Rhade runs out just then before she and Nick could tackle this English adventurer down. She rolls her eyes. “Male humans.” her eyes scan to the engine simply. She then fiddles with it for a few moments before shutting the hoods. “All of you were wrong. Now lets go.” She heads back in, muttering. “Humans and their egos handling simple primitive technology….its sad really.”

The three watch her go in amazement. Jersey shakes her head. At least it stopped them from fighting, even if Orlando to her does seem to be an egotistical bastard she can’t stand. Why did he have to join them anyway? Didn’t have some other journey to go on to avoid the battle? Not that she was one to talk, but she’s in it now isn’t she? His ego is just a little much. Maybe she’s wrong. She doubts it, but maybe. Nick gives her a wry grin as he heads inside himself.

Orlando looks at Jersey intently. “There’s something weird about you.”

“Really? What then bro?”

“You’re hiding something.”

She shrugs. True enough. “Whatever.”

“Whatever it is, I’ll find out.”

A roll of her eyes at that one. “Go ahead, I have nothing to hide.” She goes inside herself as she hears Kevin starts the ship. “If you want to leave, you better get on now, instead of trying to figure out what’s so “odd” about me.” She sneers.

He rolls his eyes at Jeremy and gets aboard the craft himself. He looks around the room as he settles next to Rhade. There was something off about that guy, and that Nick idiot knows. Orlando was determined to find out. But for now, he smiles at Rhade. She could serve as a good distraction from the chaos as well.

As soon as they’re on, Howard goes up to copilot with Kevin. That Jeremy stands by a window, pointing below. “We’re going to have incoming fire, 11 o’clock. Who’s manning weapons?”

AJ gets up, sitting at one of the weaponry control panels. “I got the one on starboard, Nick, take the one next to me. Brian go to port side…and Jeremy right, you know your shit, go with him so the General and Kevin can get our asses out of here. “ They follow his directions with only an eye roll from Orlando at being left from fighting. He was experienced, why was he being excluded?

No questions were asked however, cause the ship wasn’t in the best condition for attack. They’d be lucky if no Mystyrians found them yet. Truth be told, they were all banking on the fact that they’d be checking the abandoned ships.

Jynx straps herself in next to Skyla. She tries to stay calm, knowing that it would be almost futile given the conditions but she had to try as she heard that blasting all around them. “Where are you from?” She smiles, her tan eyes shining.

“Enemy fire heading your way AJ!”

“Watch your side Kevin!”

“General, lock down the side panels before we lose something!”

Skyla blinks, and smiles at her, pushing her golden hair from her face. She grips the seat tighter as the ship shakes from one of several impacts. They could hear the others yelling around them in the background and they were trying their best not to focus on it. “Oh…before the war? Florida…Orlando, Florida. I miss it there…What about you?”

“Jeremy, keep your eye on those fighters!”

“Damn these things never give up do they?!”

“Nick don’t lose them!”

“Nice shot Brian!”

“I think we got em! Floor it Kevin!”

“Shit, watch a couple rogue pirates!”

“Watch it!”

“That’s it! About time we get far enough out of range.”

“New York, and its okay,” She says softly, “I miss it there too.”



*******

Kevin pilots the ship silently. What Rhade did was only a temporary fix. They needed a plan. Somewhere to rest till they had supplies and their ship was fixed. A way to fight was needed against the Mystyrians who were determined to get rid of them. And in the end, they needed a home. He sets the ship on autopilot while the time is still peaceful. It wouldn’t be for long. They needed some place to settle, regroup and have a plan. Howard, Nick, Brian, AJ, and Jeremy sit in the small pilot room one could call it. Kevin only asked them for he didn’t feel the need to worry the women about this. He had invited Orlando but he was more interested in that Rhade and she had only worried both him and Howard for they knew she wasn’t human and were weary about her being on their side. Howard stands and leans against the wall, his back to the door. They would know if an enemy fighter came even close to in range for their system would warn them.

“We need a plan. We don’t have many people, or much time left.”

Kevin sighs, his jade eyes tired. “Where are we going to find those people? Earth is probably destroyed completely by now.”

The redhead gives Kevin a comforting smile. “There has to be someone who can help.”

“We need to have something first before we track them down.”

AJ smirks, “You just worried about fighting Blondie.” He says, watching Nick.

“No…he’s right.” Jersey says softly. “I know where we can go. Before the war really escalated, just after the first drafted and joining…” She fights not to look at Kevin or Brian then, for even though they didn’t join at the very first, it brought back memories. “I mean the very beginning, years ago of this war before we knew how screwed we were. There were a lot of people who didn’t want to risk being on a doomed planet if we lost. They left, and there’s hidden colonies throughout the galaxies of just humans. We can’t trust 99.9% of the other species, so we need to re-supply with them. Regroup, and see if we can get help. Then we can form some sort of plan.”

Howard watches Jeremy carefully. Where had this guy come from? He knew far too much to just be the simple civilian who got pulled along for the ride, as he portrayed. “How do you know all this?”

Nick gives her a knowing glace and she just smirks as she readjusts her hat to cover her ocean eyes. “I used to work at a port, one of the skuzzier ones. I ran into a few humans there who felt sorry for me, and they told me. They exist, and I know where. But hell, its up to you what we do…” She just eyes him. “General. I just want to get out of this still alive, can’t speak for the rest of ya, but I bet y’all want that shit to. So what’s the plan…General Howard?”