- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This would be Rose :) posting Jammy's chapter. Hope you guys enjoy! Also feel free to check out her profile under the name "Jamelet" or mine "Rose" and read our solo stories and other writing projects hehe.

Enjoy the chapter!
“Rebirth”


If I fall
if I fall (down)

at the end of the world
or the last thing i see
you are
never coming home
never coming home

never coming home
never coming home

and all the things that you never ever told me
and all the smiles that are ever gonna haunt me

never coming home
never coming home

-Chapter Thirteen: Critical Methods


“You ever sit around and think man, what the hell would I be doing with my life if this never happened. If our planet still existed and things were at peace?” The younger cousin asks, leaning against the wall watching Jersey and Nick talk a few feet away from them.

“Yeah…all the time.” Kevin shifts his feet, still feeling agitated with the fact that indeed his little cousin was here safe and sound after all through disguise.

“Kev…drop it. Can you blame her?” Brian whispers out: “Just think what she could be going through at the moment.”

“I get that. Its just…I was worried sick about her and she decides to slip past us and not even at least give us some notification that she was well or tell us who she was. I wouldn’t have freaked if she told me from the beginning.” The raven haired man crosses his arms, cutting a glare at the blonde pair before him.

“She’s here and safe. That’s all that counts. I just hope she can help out and do what she needs to do to take her rightful position as leader. Cause right now…I think Howie is way over his head on this war.” Brian adjusts his seat, his azure eyes fall on Nick who seems to be making Jersey laugh.

Whatever effect the man was having on her was a positive one. He couldn’t recall seeing Jersey this happy, he would have to make a mental note to thank Nick when he gets around to it.
~*~

Humming softly, Jynx messes around with the computer game bored out of her mind. She wanted to get away from the craziness that was going on around her and perhaps for one time just feel at peace. She controls the little animated person watching her eat, converse, get dressed, take walks, exercise. Basically she had control of the little person in the game and it made her feel good. Powerful. Maybe this is why her friend Jersey didn’t want to take her role. Because with power comes a lot of responsibilities.

Shutting the game off, she scrolls through files and blinks finding a list of soldiers that were recruited. Scanning down the list she sighs knowing most of them were already dead from the war in the battle. Clicking on a few names randomly, she blinks and finds a familiar face. “What the…” Snorting, she prints out the file along with the info and smirks ripping the sheet out of the printer. She could feel someone’s presence in the room and looks up.

“Hey Howie.”

Smiling, the man settles besides her holding a cup of soda. “Want?”

Shaking her head, she smiles and gazes at him noting how attractive he was to her. His rich caramel complexion and ruffled dark hair seemed like a calming grace, he was a strong person but she knew he had his weaknesses. His intense dark eyes when he knows something to his light accent she heard from him when he gets agitated were just the little things she picked up on.

“Is something wrong?” He gazes over at her.

“Nothing much…found out something, you guys didn’t pick up a civilian.”

“What are you talking about?” The captain seems curious as she hands him a sheet with basic facts of an incoming soldier.

“The man with the little girl that we took in. That guy was supposed to have been fighting long ago. Whatever happened, he didn’t make it. So that means the guy is trained. Which is a good thing cause he knows how to kill our enemies off.”

Howie taking interest, scrolls down the sheet and nods: “It’s against the law to avoid being recruited. I’m surprised he got away.”

Jynx nods her head, not really listening. Again she was left spaced out, gazing at him noticing the little things like the light twitch in his ear when he’s annoyed to the little indented scar on his cheek. To her, he was a project that she would love to study. She could look at him all day and simply be content with it. But she couldn’t let herself be obvious. She was to pretend she was in a relationship with her friend for the disguise to work. So as much as she was curious about being with the captain she would have to retain herself until later.

“I’m going to go talk to the guy. I can’t believe he didn’t mention this to us. This is vital info, if I knew he was well prepared for the war I would have gotten more weapons.”

Jynx sits there, tapping her foot on the floor: tap tap tap. Yet his voice was pulling her in. She couldn’t resist it anymore and leans over kissing him softly on the lips.

Howie who was in the middle of his minor ranting blinks, kissing her back quietly falling into the kiss.

Beaming, Jynx wraps her arms around his neck wishing she could stay like this. But there needs to be an appropriate time and now was not it. Sighing, she breaks the kiss getting up grabbing the paper out of his hand.

“You’re so stressed out. Relax. I know it’s a lot to handle. But I know you can do it and I believe help will come.” She softly states, watching the captain sigh happily, his muscles relax as he leans back against the wall. He lifts up his hand to his lips as he sends her a smirk.

“Mind if I ask what was that about? I think your boyfriend would hate to find out about that.”

Grinning, Jynx shrugs, “Eh that’s ok…he kissed a boy too.” Winking, she strolls out of the room leaving the man baffled at her comment.

“He’s gay?” Howie sits there confused not sure what to think of what she said. Shaking his head, he heads outside down to a shop to grab a few drinks.
~*~

“Ohh ohh look ok? This is how is goes.” Little Erica stands boldly on the tiny stage in the market watching her big brother snicker at her.

“Ready?” She beams.

“Yeah go ahead.”

Smiling, Erica breaks into a song: “If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands.”

Her brother rolls his eyes and claps along with her as he sees the captain and a young woman from the ship approach them.

The petite brunette stands before him and snorts tossing the paper to him: “Did you think we wouldn’t know D? Or how about David Arden? You like that better? Did you think that maybe you could get away with hiding out from not telling us who you are?”

Howie gasps, pulling the angry woman aside: “Heh excuse her, she didn’t have her coffee this morning. She’s a bit edgy.” He grumbles, holding Jynx’s arm as she complains pulling away from him.

David sucks in air at the mention of his name, nodding: “Yeah sure…”

“Its just…this is vital to us. If you know what’s going on, this can help all of us. And I’m sure you want to stop what’s out there and took away your family right?” Howie looks up at the tall man.

“Look, I didn’t go cause I didn’t want to be apart of it ok. I didn’t…” David glances to his little sister who’s now singing to Jynx. “I didn’t care about this shit. I didn’t want to die.” The young man whispers, his blue eyes scanning the area.

“I understand that but you can’t just run away from it. Now look, you’re in it anyways. Did you think you could run away from what was gonna happen to Earth?” The captain watches the man fidget holding the sheet with his personal info on it.

David smirks locking eyes with the Captain. “Yeah actually. I don’t have to face things if I don’t want to. I can walk away from my problems and not give a damn. But things change when you’re no longer in control of that. David is just a name I used when I was enlisted. Like I told the others. I don’t have a name.”

“Ok mister anonymous whatever you want to be called. But I can assure you, when we're attacked again you’ll be equipped like the others to take the Mystertians down.”

“Bring the bitches on. I’m used to them terrorizing everything I ever had.” David pulls up a chair turning it around straddling it, his eyes on the sheet with his info.

“Good. Glad to hear that boy.” Howie gets up watching Erica break into a little dance.

“Aww look at her, how cute is she?” Jynx snickers dancing alongside the girl.

Howie chuckles watching them for a moment, his thoughts on what the hell was he gonna do now? War was on high alert and he managed to lose contact after passing the milky way. There was no way he could do this alone. He needs help but where would he ever find that?

“It’s like fighting a losing battle.” David mumbles out suddenly, his eyes on the paper nervously running a hand through his short spiky hair.

Jynx looks over to the men and grumbles not liking this David character at all. He was hiding something. Taking Erica’s hand, she heads over to the counter getting them drinks and ice cream.

“How did you survive on the planet you were found on? Everyone was gone…”

David rolls up the paper tossing it in the trash can across the room: “I didn’t…I had to join their alliance for my survival.”

Howie’s mouth drops open, staring at the man. “YOU WHAT?! HOLY CRAP! You could have brought them here?! Are you out of your mind? I should leave you here!”

Jynx jumps at the sudden outburst looking over at the two men seeing Howie flustered as David watches in shock.

Erica sings softly, swinging her little legs as she sits comfy on the stool.

“Ok sweetie…” Jynx whispers to the child: “I want you to do me a big big favor ok?”

Erica eyes her curiously as Jynx continues: “If you want to be a big person, you can help me out and go find out what’s up with your brother.”

Erica tilts her head, her eyes eager as she knows the answers. “Why?”

“Cause it would help all of us and that would be nice. Something a big person would do.”

“Ooooooo…..but I’m not big so I don’t have to say.” Erica beams, hopping off the stool walking away with her drink.

Howie looks over to Jynx who goes over eyeing the guy.

“Things just got a little more complicated now.” Howie frowns, indicating to David.

The pale man looks over to Jynx raising an eyebrow: “Like I told him. I had to do it if I wanted to live.”

After hearing the news, Jynx blinks, gazing at the two newcomers. “Well if this isn’t something. Funny…We should leave you here and take the girl. After all, you’re basically like a tracker to those things out there. If they find you, they’d find us.”

David gasps. “Wait wait! I’m not a bad guy ok. I freaked and it was the only way to survive. I didn’t want Erica to suffer: she’s innocent. She doesn’t know what’s going on. I did what I could to make sure she was kept alive. If I didn’t join they were ready to take both our lives away. You know how that goes. I couldn’t risk it.”

Howie frowns seeing Erica run over, clinging tightly to her brother. “I…think its best we board Erica…”

“What? But wait what about me?” David cries out, looking at Jynx and then Howie.

“Look you’re in some deep crap man. Why should we offer to take you back with us when you’re leading those punks to us?” Jynx frowns. “I knew there was something wrong with you. But nooo.” She stresses it out: “No one listens to me.”

Erica frowns. “I didn’t tell them anything Davy. I didn’t say nothing.” She wraps her arms around her brother’s neck, her lip quivering.

“Ah dammit.” Howie sighs, “If you’re coming with us…I’m making sure you tell everyone on that ship exactly who the hell you are and who you work for. Because at this rate you have no friends on board.”

Snorting, Jynx rolls her eyes: “I knew we should have cuffed him when we had the chance.” With that, she exits feeling a stare on her.

~*~

Rhade hums softly to a song stuck in her head, it was the same song that the adventurer was singing as they were shopping for a few items. It was almost endearing watching them walk together, she would steal a few glances from him. She knew she had to have him completely. There was no way she would go without having him by her side and her colony had to understand that. She was raised in royalty among her race and was always instilled that whatever she wanted she should have the right to have, when it suited the rules of her tribe. She was also taught that as royalty, she must sacrafice her wishes when the tribe felt it necessary.

Glancing over to the adventurer who seems to be tittering with the paper bags filled to the top, she grins watching him struggle to uphold the bags.

“So…need help?” Rhade smirks watching the golden skin man glance over to her.

“You think?”

“Well you seemed like you were doing just fine, I wouldn’t want to mess your image of being the strong masculine man up.”

Orlando sends a soft smile to her easing his way out of the store. Not seeing who was in front of him, he crashes into the petite Jynx who scrambles out of the way of the falling bags.

“AHH my oranges!” Rhade rushes over gathering the fallen food items back into the bag.

“Sorry…I didn’t see you.” Orlando frowns, quickly helping out.

“No sorry I didn’t see where I was going.” Jynx jumps up dusting herself. Eying Rhade, she looks over to Orlando and back at her.

“Yes? Do you need something?” Rhade tosses her long locks behind her.

“Nope. Found something interesting though. You’ll find out when we board the ship again.”

“Is it about civilians?” Rhade hands Orlando’s the two stuffed paper bags to him.

“Umm…hmmm” That was odd, how would she randomly guess that? “ I’m in a rush though I got to get some spices to make an Asian dish.”

Rhade raises her eyebrows: “What’s Asian?”

“Oohh hooo I’ll explain that to her, you go and get what you need Jynx.” Orlando holds back a laugh as Jynx waves entering the store.

“I know what she wants to tell us. But it’s not important. We’re not in danger.” Rhade grins kindly offering to take a bag so she can link hands with his free one. Blinking, Orlando smiles at her touch and holds her hand leading them back to the ship to unpack the new items bought.
~*~

Jynx hums gathering the ingredients for a small dinner. She decided to be spontaneous and cook up a mean Asian dish since she found out the Captain had a thing for it. Smiling, she tosses some peppers into the kart as Skyla’s voice fill the air.

“I…you sure about that?” Skyla’s giggles bubble out causing Jynx to be curious.

Smirking, Jynx decides to pass by them to not be rude and stare, but she couldn’t help take a sneak peek to the new couple. She watches Skyla sit on a kart laughing as AJ is making vroom sounds quickly guiding the kart down the aisle. Jynx watches amused until AJ runs past a sky high pile of paper towels which begins to sway under the sudden touch.

“Uh oh.” Skyla squeaks out, her green orbs open wide gazing at the tower.

“We’re going to go past this and act like nothing happened.” A.J. smiles, taking Skyla out the kart as both scurry away the moment the tower leans to the side collapsing causing the paper towels to bounce and roll out in every which direction.

Gasping at the falling tower, Jynx makes a dash out a little too late, tripping over a towel causing her to land on her stomach. “Oomph”

Groaning in annoyance, she blinks seeing security surround her. “Uh hey…wow did you see that? Heh kinda looked like an explosion there. Interesting huh?” Jynx blurts out as two of the security guards grab her arms.

“Whoa hey! What is this?”

“You’re coming with us ma’am. I think you need to start rebuilding that tower the way it was before we can allow you to leave the store.”

Assuming the guard is kidding, she snickers gazing at their beady eyes hoping for some kind of smile. “Oooohhh…you’re serious huh?”

The guards nod leading her to the pile as they walk away leaving her in the mess of array paper towels. “Oh no that’s fine…thanks! I always wanted to make a castle using these babies.” She grumbles plopping on the floor.

“That looks like fun!” She hears Erica’s voice ring out, gazing at the little brunette eager to play with the paper towels.

“Oh yeah fun.” Jynx mumbles kicking at a paper towel. Finally looking around, she along with the help of little Erica begin the rebuilding of the tallest paper towel tower around this space port.
~*~

Kevin raises his eyebrows as he adds fuel to the ship. He was enjoying the peaceful moment but with everyone suddenly wanting to hook up it felt like he was never going to see his family again. He missed them greatly, he was glad his cousins are here safe and sound but that didn’t help that he himself lost family that meant the world to him. Tipping the oil can into the chamber located at the side end of the ship, he watches groups of people gather around the ship eyeing it oddly. Almost everyone was here and everything seemed to be on the upside. No past signs of destruction left behind from their enemies which helped make people feel more relax.

Getting his hands a bit dirty from taking a look at the engine, he wipes his hands on a rag tossing it aside.

“Whoo hey man you know when we taking off?” Nick strolls over taking a look at the oil.

“Not yet, we still got some time but start bringing stuff in.” He cast a cold glare at Nick.

Shuffling around the raven haired man, Nick clears his throat: “I know…walking in on your cousin was a little…awkward. Uhh…just give her time man. To do what she gotta do.”

“And what makes you think you know what I’m thinking about?”

“I’m not…just saying.” Nick shrugs, leaning against the ship.

“Why don’t you go help bring some stuff in on the ship? You know to have some kind of army intact.”

“Uh Brian and A.J. are doing that right now, they don’t need any more help at the moment, they got it covered.”

“Oh I’m sure they need help, just won’t admit it.” Kevin frowns, annoyed that the blonde man was still hanging around when he thought he made it clear to go away.

“Eh I guess…” As a bolt of what seem like a falling comet flash a good distance away from the metal port they’re on.

A distance away, two people glance up to the sky. “WHOA Did you see that?!” Brian shouts out, a fairly far distance from his cousin and Nick.

“What the hell is that?” A.J. mumbles, standing besides him watching the bright yellow trail of fire rushing to crash into whatever got in its way.

“I dunno. But whatever it is it better stay away from here. I need to rest, I can’t be running on adrenaline all the time.” Brian yawns, rubbing his eyes.

“I don’t know about you dude, but sleep is the last thing on my mind at the moment.” A.J. frowns, seeing a group of bystanders break into a riot frantically pushing each other around.

“Oh boy…not another one. It doesn’t take much to get some people angry around here.”

“Heh tell me about it. Go to it cowboy. I’ll be standing by watching you get tossed around.” A.J. beams, causing Brian to break into a chuckle.

“You really are something aren’t you?”

“Yeah…I know. The ladies always tell me that.” A.J. runs a hand smoothly through before placing his cap back on. “If they don’t calm down in a minute I’ll get the hose out and spray them down.”

Smiling, Brian snickers watching the minor eruption of people die down slowly heading back to what they were doing as if nothing was wrong.

“Heh…guess they heard you and don’t like water.”

“That or getting wet on this planet is a taboo.” A.J. cracks his knuckles shoving a helmet to Brian, passing him to get back on board. “We got a good few hours before take off let’s make sure we have a good one before all hell breaks loose.”

Nodding, Brian gazes back at the others of their crew. The passer bys ignoring them. Seemed none of them wanted to join. A death wish almost they had claimed. He couldn’t blame them. He only wished he could have had time to really say bye to his family before it was too late. But as it went, life has its own turn of events.