- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yep another update, finally! Go us! lol this is Rose talking. We should hopefully have more updates coming. Till then, enjoy the chapter and toodles!

(PS- Be on the lookout for something called 00Carter tee hee *runs off*)
“Rebirth”

"I made my way back home, I searched for form and land. Years and years I roamed, I gazed a gazely stare...we walked a million hills. I must have died alone, a long long time ago." - Nirvana, "Man Who Sold The World"


Chapter Fourteen: Beginning Or The End?

Jersey heads through the space station lethargically. Nick had already headed back to the ship, as had her cousins. She, seeing they still had some time, had decided to wander. The young girl needed the time for herself and to gather her troubling thoughts that were jumbled in her all too lost mind. Also, since when she goes back, everyone will discover Jeremy was a well put on façade; she needs new clothing, wanting to desperately discard the boys clothing she has adorned for far too long. She grins softly to herself as her sapphire eyes sparkle in the florescent lighting in the metal station with only an air dome to separate them from the dark abyss of space. Stars twinkling above innocently, without a hint of the dangers she knows await once the group leaves the station. One of the last places humans ran to when it was obvious Earth was doomed. Earth. Was there anything left now? She left before it had gone to utter ruin, but it had been on its way there. She had heard tales at the port she worked at before meeting Jynx, how the planet had been left in shambles. Not destroyed, but the damage had been done and the humans had fled in any way possible. Still she wondered, was there anything left on the planet to go back to now?

She turns down a hall. It has been forever since she bought the clothing she liked. She had never been one for skirts or dresses, but there were cute styles she wanted to wear. Her material side, small, but also buried inside, was wishing to come out again. The blonde twenty two year old enters a store casually and skims through the hovering clothing racks, loving the idea of just getting what she wanted. Not what she knew she had to get. Simple as it was, picking out outfits felt exhilarating, surprisingly joyful. After all, she was supposed to lead humans as an advanced race chased them to their deaths, and they were only garments. Yet she felt those feelings, and the reason was also simple.

For once, Jersey felt free.

*******

Howard taps his foot impatiently. He was more than ready to go. For an odd reason, he felt far too unsafe there. Perhaps it was because Jeremy suggested it. Likely so. He remembered the kiss with Jynx, Jeremy’s girlfriend, all too well. The images burned into his brain like an iron cast. He saw Kevin making sure the ship was in working order. Brian was helping AJ pack up the supplies, while Jynx and Skyla were chatting on the other end of the ship. Rhade was in the ship resting. Orlando was practicing with one of the new weapons they had purchased. All were here but one. Although earlier than he had said they should go, he was ready to exit the place now. All too eager. Yet Nick and Jynx had both told him to wait for the last of their crew. Jeremy. He was starting to truly despise that name. Irrational yes, but it was honestly what he felt. It seemed like the other man had what he wanted, and wanted to take the burden he had. Yes it was a burden, but it was Howie’s burden and he wanted it for himself. It made sense to him if no one else.

Then his attention is grabbed by something else. Jynx staring at someone who approached with shock, as she hugged the person coming. Howie came down the ramp from inside the ship and stood by it outside of it, watching curiously. A young female, looking to be in her early twenties, short blond hair, and piercing blue eyes. She looked familiar. Oddly familiar. Then he heard AJ stare and utter something with an accusing tone.

“My God, you’re Jersey Shantlle.”

At that moment, all of the information scattered in the general’s mind clicked together. Jeremy, the lone man who kept to himself outside of Jynx. One who knew things he shouldn’t know. The oddness about him. He, and the one who had been meant to be the General rather than Howie were one and the same. He was the missing girl Jersey Shantlle. She had seemingly vanished months before her parents, who had helped start the revolution to fight back in the new war, had been killed in combat. She was the reason the burden had been placed upon him.

Jynx. Jynx had known this entire time. The words she had said yesterday, after she kissed him. They made complete and bitter sense now. Lies he had been told. So many lies, and he had believed them all.

“Mind if I ask what was that about? I think your boyfriend would hate to find out about that.”

“Eh that’s ok…he kissed a boy too.”


She had played along with the charade, knowing that the girl could be vital in this battle. Howard’s eyes narrow in shock as the moments moved in what feels to be slow motion. The one person he had trusted, turned out to be nothing but stabbing betrayal.

The girl adjusts the new backpack she wore and were filled with items she had just gotten as she waved sheepishly. “Yeah that would be me.” she replied calmly to AJ as everyone with the exception of Kevin, Brian, and Nick stared in surprise. Even David and his sister Erica, seemed to have heard of who Jersey Shantlle was and were taken aback at the idea that aloof Jeremy turned out to be her.

Howard shakes his head. Enough. “Get inside and lets go, we’ll discuss this as we leave.”

Jynx approaches him shyly, her coffee eyes shadowed and ashamed as a soft curly lock of russet hair fell into her soft face. “Howie I had to keep it secret-”

“You fed me nothing but a pack of lies. Nothing else needs to be discussed.” With that he storms inside, frustrated and infuriated at the shocking turn of events before him. Nothing made sense anymore and it was only bound to be more confusing as time went on for the odd band of beings inside the tiny ship.

Every person boarded silently as Jersey sat off by herself, Nick who tried to sit beside her, listened for a moment to something whispered to him. He leans down and their lips meet for a moment, wrapped in each other as if finally set loose before pulling away. Nick places his lips affectionately to her forehead for comfort before sitting across from her as she Jersey wanted. She held her pack in her hands, unsure what to say as she felt the stares upon her. Jynx is the one Jersey lets sit beside her and she sighs as lets her friend hug her.

“You sure you want this Jersey?”

A chuckle and a smirk are her response. “A little late to ask isn’t it?” She stands, heading to captain’s quarters, knowing she had to face it all, and ignoring the stares. “general-”

He turned and the glare he wore says more than enough. She stands her ground, fed up with running from herself finally. “General.”

“You could have risen up when you were supposed to and this may have all been prevented.” The usually soft tan eyes were hard, cold, and unyielding.

“It wouldn’t have been prevented, it would have happened anyway.” She rolls her eyes annoyed. “You have to be kidding me. Is this why you haven’t been leading like you should? Been blaming me this entire time? God no wonder nobody thinks you can handle it. I’m here now, so deal with it.”

“You forfeited your chance to lead.” Matching glares were met between the two. Neither willing to back down from the silent battle.

“You’re right I did, but you need help. If you don’t let me, then hell you just got us all a ticket to the hand basket down to hell.” She headed back out to the main dock, not wanting to debate any longer as Kevin drove the ship further and further away from the haven the space port had been if only for a short time. AJ then stopped her. A sigh came and she turned towards him and Skyla, the sweet innocent who had been with the group from the beginning.

“All this time you’ve been…”

“Yes all this time.”

The tatted man scowls in disdain, not being able to comprehend how she could do what she did. After everything he has been through since this war began. Everything he had given up. This girl’s actions, who had affected them all, were unable to be understood in his own caring mind. “You’re a coward.”

“Alex-” The other blonde warned, with a simple hand placement on his shoulder. Jersey just shook her head at it all.

“Think of me what you will. I don’t give a damn anymore.” With those simple words, she headed back to one of the rooms, there weren’t many. But she needed the escape from the others. To her surprise and disappointment someone was already occupying her room. Rhade. The interesting alien who had joined their motley crew for reasons still unknown. She turns for the door again. “Sorry didn’t know anyone was in here.”

“Don’t worry. Go ahead, sit.”

“Thanks, I needed to get away from everyone.”

Rhade smiles, pushing a long wavy raven lock away from her delicate looking face. “I understand, trust me.”

A chuckle. “I don’t think you can. I don’t think anyone can.”

“I understand better than you think.” She faces the blonde leader. “Let’s talk.”

************

Heels clicking down the hall signal Howie to turn around. Who is bothering him now? He wanted anything but to deal with this. He sits at the desk, his back to the wall, wishing whatever it is to just leave him be. His mind is still processing it all. He heard the door slide into the wall and his head turns to glance upon the one person he doesn’t want to walk through that door. Jynx Jamison. Her sleek body adorned by her leather space outfit, accentuating her tight lithe figure. Her curls were now let down, framing her angelic face. Her eyes that typically dance with light were more somber and that in itself softened Howard enough to not kick her out the moment she entered his room.

“Can I help you?” His question was sharp and to the point. His back was still to her, assuring Jynx that the welcome she had was not a friendly one.

“Howie, we should talk.”

“How would I know that you speak the truth?”

She forcefully grabs the desk chair that hovered levelly from the floor and turns it towards her with no patience at the idea of quibbling. Her hands rest on the arms of the chair, staring into his steely gaze. Finally she had been able to kiss him before. For once she is free to show her feelings for him without the troubles of protecting her best friend lying on her all too annoying conscience. Of course, everything comes at a price. Apparently this was hers, and it infuriated her heart to no end.

“I had to lie! Jesus, Howie, she’s my best friend. I met her before we came to your refugee ship, found out her secret and how it killed her to hide herself. I had to protect her! I didn’t know what was going to happen after we started that ruse…”

He just gazes upon her simply, as if she is nothing but a fly that must be squashed with haste before it annoys anyone further. “You protecting her put everyone else on Earth in more danger. It was selfish! And to continue to do that…when we talked, and lie to me… god!” He stands then. Pushing past her he goes to the window to watch the meteorites fly by them. “I trusted you and was found to be a damn fool.”

“Oh yes Howie, because its Jersey’s fault the Mystyrians attacked. You were trained to lead as well, if you want to blame someone for how bad this war has gone, blame yourself! Me and her lying about her being the last leaders’ daughter didn’t decide fate, it just turned leadership to you The only thing I lied about was anything involving ‘Jeremy‘ and you know that. When it comes to you Howie, I can’t see straight, in ways you don’t know. I’m telling the truth, and if you can’t see that, then you’re right, you are a fool.” She shoved the chair towards him and stalked out of the room, dabbing her eyes inconspicuously as she walks away from the one thing that she wanted during this entire quest.

Howard stands there, unsure of how to react or what to think. Kevin’s voice interrupts him on the loudspeaker. “General…Generals I mean…” His eyes narrow at that into tiny slits that resemble a snake’s. Burden though it was, he had earned it, now that Jersey who had ran from it, sharing the title as well infuriates him. Their short talk earlier hadn’t fazed him any. Heading to the intercom he roughly pushed the speak button. “Out of this galaxy, anywhere out of this damn galaxy, I don‘t care which galaxy you head for as long as its away from this one.”

“No. Kevvy-” A cough could be heard as she corrected herself over the intercom. “Kevin, go to earth.”

“Back to the place we got attacked in the beginning? You’re out of your damn mind Shantlle.” His voice is loud and incredulous at even the mere possibility she suggested just now.

“No, we need to see what is left, if we should even keep running. We need a damn recon of what’s going on back there!”

“What even gives you a say?”

“Lineage now get off my back Dorough, just trust me. Kevin, take us to Earth please.”

“Wait a minute!” His face is on the verge of exploding with anger and irritation until Brian’s voice enters the mix, interrupting the infuriated general.

“Howie, I actually agree, we should see what’s left of Earth so we know what move to make next.” Great, his friend taking his cousin’s side. A cousin who had ditched both him and Kevin without another thought and that was who Brian sided with? Some friend. He bet Kevin would do the same.

“Alright, take us to earth.” He sighs with bitter defeat. Nothing makes sense to him anymore. It is almost like he had to start over in earning respect and running this journey. Back to beginning. And he didn’t like the idea one bit.

*****

“I can’t bloody believe Jeremy turned out to be a chick. Heh.” Orlando comments to no one in particular, but Nick seems to be the only one still in the main dock with him. The two are sparring a bit with the new laser swords. David and his sister were in another room, keeping solely to themselves. Some information was supposed to have been told but that had been forgotten when Jeremy came back as a Jersey.

“She’s dealing with a lot.”

The British adventurer raised a brow. “You knew. I knew the two of you were hiding something. I had just assumed you two might’ve been gay.”

Nick makes a face and goes on the offensive. “No. Yes I knew. She’s working a lot of things out..”

“You’re protective of her.”

“Just like you’re protective of Rhade. You seem like human when you’re around her.” he smirks, just never liking Orlando since they tried to fix the ship.

Orlando spars more aggressively, not liking the turn of the conversation is taking. Rhade is his weak spot and no one needs to discover that small tidbit of information. “Maybe Howard can finally run things right around here and we can see some REAL action.”

“Please, ‘real’ action is the last thing we need. You think there will be anything left when we get home.”

“Not sure.” He turns off his sword, tucking it into a sheath strapped to his belt, brushing a dark curl away from his slightly scruffy face. He takes note that he needs to shave his goatee down a bit. “But I promise its going to be interesting.”


**********

“We need to talk to her.” The raven haired man states firmly as he pilots the ship to their new destination. His heart turns at the idea. Earth. Would there be anything left? When he had left it had been closer to the end, yet there had been no word on the status of the planet after their refugee space station had been attacked. Would they find more Mystyrians there? It had been some time since they had encountered any, but no one is foolish enough to think they had escaped for good just yet.

“Kev, let it be, she’s got to come to us.”

“Like she did this time around?” He retorts his gaze focusing on their destination, though it was still too far to get a glimpse of.

“Just, I know Jersey, she’s the same girl, impulsive, headstrong, but smart. We’re going home. So try and relax.”

“There may not be anything left to go home to.”

Brian runs a hand through his short red mussed curls as he focuses on his older cousin. “Don’t think like that, we’ll make it through this.”

“Yeah I know.”

“As for Jers, she’ll come to us when she’s ready to. She always does. Everything will work out.”

“I hope you’re right Bri, I really do.”

“I am, trust me. One day we’ll get past this Kev, and be able to live again.”

“One problem with that cuz, is that after this, will we have anything left to live for?”


************

Jersey shifts in her chair facing Rhade. “Its hard to explain.”

“Try me, out there you have a lot of anger aimed towards you.”

“I earned it.” She begins to play with a stray strand of hair.

Rhade nods as she brushes her own hair idly.. “You hid yourself among them as a guy.”

A sigh.” They don’t get that I had to. I didn’t want to be some damn leader just because my parents lead this entire revolution against the Mystyrians. I wanted to be myself, relax with my cousins, and tinker with machinery. Simple but I liked it. But no, my family had to be military oriented. Then Brian, Brian of all people who is always singing, playing around, decides to join! He abandoned me first.” A flash of anger skips across her eyes for a moment before it was gone as if it never came.

“Never forgave him for it did ya?” The smile upon the other girl’s face was knowing, yet not arrogant. “For leaving your and your lifestyle for the one you hated.”

“I-I don’t know. Kevin got mega maxi protective then. Telling me what I couldn’t do, reminding me along with my aunts and uncles what I had to do. Training me, making me study, preparing me. Brian left when he was 19, I was 17 and Kevin was 21, oldest and bossiest. None of us had sibs, so Kevin took on the big bro role. Then when I turned 19, I just lost it. I got so fed up. I left and decided to do it my way. I kept tabs on them, Kevin became a pilot a few months after I left, always looking for me. I saw the bulletins he left. My parents were killed two weeks after he joined and I knew I had to stay hidden. I couldn’t be leader. So I lived on a space port, as Jeremy, tinkering with ships as a mechanic till I met Jynx and we ended up on the refugee ship that led us here. I just, don’t want to lead us all to death.”

“You still did, you started directing Howard as to what to do next.”

“And then Nick came into the picture…” A grin appears then at the thought. “I feel more sure of myself with him. He has faith in me. Makes me for once feel like I can handle it. Only no my cousins will probably hate me for life for hiding from them. And I know I‘m still turning out to be leader by I‘m doing it with my own rules and my way, not the rules I would have had otherwise. Its hella selfish but damn I don‘t have choices like other people, and its not fair.”

“I know what’s its like to hide from the world. So you won’t be forced into a role you don’t want. See, I’m of the Rylian race and the princess of my tribe.”

Jersey blinks, her eyes widening with surprise. “No way. We realized you weren‘t human but damn.”

Now it is Rhade’s turn to let out a frustrated breath of air. “Yes. Princess. Gah. Betrothed to my friend, who although I love him, he’s like a brother. No passion. I want passion, lust, love. I wasn’t supposed to help Orlando escape either, told to stay out of the Human war. But you guys need the help, no one deserves extinction. So I helped him and ran off, same as you, to most looking human. I wanted choices as well.”

“People take advantage of choice freedoms not realizing how its prison not to have them.”

Rhade’s dark brownish onyx imitating eyes sparkle as she grins a bit. “Exactly.”

“You and Orlando seem close…” She trails off, having had a bad impression of the adventurer she chose not to say more.

“We’ve been getting there. Like you and Nick.”

“Well have you guys talked about…”

“He does not know if that’s what you were going to ask.”

“Really? Why me?”

“Because you’re the one who understands.”

Before they could talk any more, they heard an odd noise outside the ship. Kevin’s voice filters over the speakers throughout the space craft. “We’re approaching Earth now Generals.”

Rhade gives a supporting half hug to Jersey as the two girls both stand. “That’s your cue.”

“Okay Kevin, get ready to shift through the atmospheres once we’re close enough and then take landing positions. Oh and-” Then she stops as a ear shattering crumbling noise could be heard outside their craft. The tiny ship vibrated fiercely and the two girls stumbled to keep themselves standing as did everyone in the ship. Jersey and Rhade hurry to the window to see the cause. Next thing that enters Jersey’s vision is a sight that will haunt her for decades. Her eyes take in the site of her home world with only four tiny ships as they hover around it below them, each having a ray of blinding white light aimed at the planet, before fire, destruction and nothingness consume her now former residence. The Earth combusts into nothing but angry meteorites, exploding into dust like sprinkles that blanket the empty recesses of space. Forever gone, now leaving the group without a goal, or safe haven to return to.