- Text Size +
"Rebirth"

Chapter One: Hollow Footsteps

-Time: 2150 Area: Tampa, Florida, United States

He gasps: stepping into the burnt porch, his past along with his present was destroyed. Everything he had ever known was just a fading memory, a distant past that seemed to be losing its final grip of remembrance. His construction boots crunch over the swirling ashes that once were his photo album as his azure eyes glance over around the entry way of what once used to be his family’s house. The house once filled with so much vigor and live was now a bare atrium, the only room that seemed to withstand through the explosion. He gulps down the lump in his throat, his eyes clouding in tears as he stumbles back of the door no longer able to take the disappearance of what occurred. His eyes scan down the block to see nothing but reminiscence of what once used to be houses aligned down the road.

He chokes down the sob rinsing in his chest as he glances one more time at the house his family once lived it. “Ohhh God.” He cries out softly, placing a hand over his mouth to sustain his grief. The dark sky lit up in bright orange from a distant explosion occurring somewhere far off. His world…everything he knew was gone. Now what was he going to do without a past.

“You could always start over.” A voice calls out to him.

The tall fair headed man turns around to see an average height dark tan man eyeing him from the corner of the sidewalk. “You can begin again.” The man calmly states.

“Who are you?” The man breaths out: clutching his fists tightly to him.

The darkly tan man, smiles, nodding his head: “Howard, you can call me Howie. I know what you went through…it happened to me too.”

The blonde man gulps, nervously passing a hand through his spiky hair. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to take you with me.”

The man vigorously shakes his head, sneering. “No.”

“You have been selected to join the military space force. If you want to live, then I suggest you come with me. You are Nickolas Carter correct?” Howie asks in a demanding voice.

Nick gulps, nodding his head wearily as he gazes at him. “A space force?”

“Yes. I came to personally get you. You’ve been drafted in, I should say.” Howie peers at the man curiously watching his reaction.

“Drafted in? I…I’m not joining some space force, this isn’t star trek man.”

Howie tried to maintain his stern gaze at him, holding back the laughter tickling his stomach at the man’s comment. “Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear. You’ve been drafted to join us. I’m Howard Dorough, the general of the United States military space force and you are to come with me.”

“What if I don’t want to?” Nick sneers out, fear zooming down his spine as he tries to remain rigor and strong against the man.

“You’re scared. I understand that. Put I need you to come with me. You’ll be taken care of. We’re going to get revenge on those responsible for doing this to your family as well as others that have been affected.”

“Is…is it true then?” Nick whispers out, holding back the bile rising in his throat.

“About this planet dying, being destroyed…?” Howie responds out.

“Yes and if we lost the battle?” Nick quips back.

Howie frowns sadly, nodding his head. “For now… those beings won. But that will all change soon. Because I along with others will fight to get back what we have. Our family’s memory depends on it. Come with me Nick, make a difference and stop those that did this to your family. They took everything from you. Don’t let them take you too.”

Nick nods, silent tears race down his quivering cheeks as he follows Howie to jeep to take them to their destination.

~*~

He fights back the tears of the anguish pain of lost love. He recalled hearing his mother’s sweet gentle voice saying bye as she had waved at him for one last time, the last time he’ll ever see her alive and breathing. The dreams or nightmares as he chooses to call them were always there, waiting for him, to remind him of what he had and no longer can hold. This is one of the reasons why was he here in the military space force, to combat and protect the little he had left. This was the best the country can provide at a time of war like this. He was resilient about the whole concept of taking up arms against creatures or aliens as some might call it and wanted in any way to get rid and destroy what took part of his life away.

Brian gulps and lets out a sigh of relief opening his eyes to know that at least for now, he wasn’t living in the past that torn him apart, now he longed to gain revenge and only time will till where that will lead him to.

~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**