- Text Size +
Being Perfect

"Are you ready Andie?" David asked.

"Um, yeah." She answered.

"Get on the scale." He instructed.

She looked at the other girls that were gathered around.

"But...."

"Is there going to be a problem?" He asked gruffly.

Leslie smirked watching.

"Um, no, no problem." Andie said soflty and stepped up to the scale.

The coach weighed her carefully.

"How tall are you?" He asked looking at the number on the scale.

"Five feet." She said and offered him a smile.

"You are going to have to lose eight pounds."

"But this is a good weight for my height."

David looked up.

"Listen do you want to be the best because what you are right now isn't good enough. If you want to be the best then you must push yourself. Do you understand!"

Leslie smirked happy with this.

Andies face was hurt and scared. She nodded.

"Good, glad you understand." He said.

Andie stepped off of the scale and stood to the side. Anita stepped onto the scale.

"80 pounds....perfect! Great job Anita." David said hitting her a high five.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you ok? You sound upset." Brian said.

He and Andie were talking on the phone.

"Yeah....fine."

"So how are things going in with you in the gym?" Brian asked.

"Things are doing great. I love the gym. David is really tough but he is awesome." Andie said meaning everything.

Andie got up and walked over to her mirror as she and Brian continued to talk. She lifted her shirt slightly to be able to examine her stomach. She ran her hand over the flat surface and on the side pinched a bit of what she thought was flat.

After she was done examining her stomach she checked her arms. She felt totally gross.

"This is just so hard sometimes." Andie suddenly sighed.

"What is?" Brian asked.

"Being the biggest girl in the gym. There are girls half my age and half my size doing move that I can only dream of doing."

"Come on Andie. Don't you think you are exagerating things a bit? I mean you are an excellent gymnast."

Andie sighed. There was no way that Brian could ever understand what she was going through. His lined beeped.

"Gotta take that call." Brian said and quickly switched.

Andie continued to look at herself carefully.

"Hey Andie?" Brian asked coming back on line.

"Yeah?"

"You are really gonna hate me but I really need to take this call. Nick is on the other line and he has the answers to the Biology test for tomorrow."

"Last time you said that you got a B-"

"Well that was because I was with you an hour before the test and I couldn't think straight."

Andie laughed softly.

"I guess things are different now huh?"

"Yeah guess so."

"Well, I'll see you at home this weekend for my game right?"

"I'll do my best to be there."

"Ok bye Andie love you."

Andie put down the phone as Brian hung up.

She couldn't take it anymore. Things were going to have to change. She was going to have to change if she wanted to have a chance at the Olympics. Yes things were gonna change for Andie Burton.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leslie stood at the end of the runway getting ready to practice. Right next to her on the other runway, Andie stood. Leslie stepped one foot out, then she began to sprint down the runway.

Her feet hit the spring board and she flipped over the horse in a simple tuck.

Andie ran fast and hard then jumped up onto the spring board. She flipped over the vault in a front hand-spring.

Again and again, Leslie and Andie ran down the runway and vaulted different vaults. Both did about 30 each. Andie turned to look at Leslie who was out of breath like she was.

They both began to laugh.

"Not bad." Leslie told her.

"Thank I mean I didn't go nearly as high as you but well David wants me to loose weight."

"It really helps." Leslie said getting her water. "I mean who can fly with a bowling ball around her waist right?"

Andie nodded.

"So Leslie, do you think you might want to hang out sometime?"

Leslie looked at her weird.

"You think you are gonna have a life outside these walls?" She walked away.

Andie sighed and went to move onto the next event.