- Text Size +
And the Trouble Begins

Andie flipped along the beam and flew off in a double back dismount. She landed on her bottom and fell back.

Irritated, Andie sat up ready to try again but heard clapping. She looked up.

"Oh my gosh! Brian!" She ran to him and threw herself into his arms.

"What the hell was that?" Brian asked smiling down at her.

"Oh, that was horrible. I slipped on my roundoff so I crashed the landing." She said sighing.

"That was amazing! I can't believe all of the new moves you have learned so far."

She shrugged trying to act casual. Truth be told, she was also very excited at the new level of gymnastics she was starting to compete.

"So what are you doing here?" She asked him finally.

"Well I came by hoping that we can drive home together. Let's go."

"Now?"

"Yeah now."

Andie glanced over at David. He gave her an annoyed look.

"Listen Brian, I don't think I am going to be able to come home this weekened."

"What! But you missed my last game against Hoover, we play Weston this weekend!"

"I know, I know. I am really sorry Brian really."

He sighed.

"ANDIE COME ON!" David shouted from across the gym.

"Listen Brian I better get back to practice."

Brian sighed hard.

"Fine, maybe I'll just stick around for a while and watch you practice."

Andie hesitated, then she nodded and walked back over to the balance beam. She began to practice her routine over and over again. She pushed herself to do the best that she could.

Five O'clock came and Brian walked over to her.

"Let's go home and have dinner."

Andie sighed hard. She knew that she had to work harder if she was going to get anywhere. She really wanted to make the Olympic team and that was the most important thing to her.

"Brian, I really need to stay later and get more work in."

He was stunned. What was with her.

"You mean to tell me that I drove four hours here just to see you and you aren't coming home, and you won't even have dinner with me?"

Andie felt really bad.

"Brian I.."

"I know, I know, you're sorry. Yeah well, so am I."

Brian turned and walked out the door. He really hope that she knew what she was doing and didn't get herself into any kind of trouble.

Andie didn't have enough time to feel bad about what had happened with Brian. David had walked over to her insisting that she continued work on the beam.

"Go for it Andie."

She paused slightly nervous.

"Go! Go now!" David shouted at her.

Andie took a deep breath and flew into her dismount. She landed throwing her arms up into the air and smiled at David. He was frowning.

"Do you know why I'm not happy?"

Andie glanced down at her self. She was breathing hard, hands on her hips.

"Is it my weight?"

"You paused! You showed fear! A great gymnast does not pause and should not fear. You do not let the people or judges see this!"

Andie got a drink from her water bottle.

"Now get up there and do it again!"

Andie got back up onto the beam. David had her working very hard and late into the evening. She was supposed to go home at 5 pm but she didn't home until after nine.

"Andie, you have homework..." Her mom said.

"I know I know, I'm sorry. David kept me late."

"Well I figured you would be hungry so I kept your dinner warm."

Andie hesitated.

"You know what mom, I pigged out just before I came home."

"Well, if you are sure."

"I am." Andie insisted before running up to her room to do her homework and get to bed.