- Text Size +
A Mistake

Andie returned to the gym the following Monday. She felt so confused about what was going on. She pushed herself through training knowing that Invitationals were coming up.

*******************************************

Brian went to the payphone after school on Monday and called Andie. He sighed when her machine picked up.

"Hey Andie, this is Brian, I'm sorry I missed you once again, you haven't been returning my calls and I want to know if there was something I did to make up so upset. Well I am sorry again and hope to talk to you soon." Brian hung up.

"She not there?" Kayla asked coming up to him.

"No, her machine picked up again." Brian sighed.

Kayla studied him.

"Come on, let's get out of here." She said.

They walked out and went to get coffee. After, Brian started to walk Kayla home.

"No offense but I am glad that you aren't really getting through to Andie either." Brian said.

"Yeah, I guess we are both being ignored. We shouldn't feel bad. It seems like Andie is going through a lot."

They walked on for a few minutes in silence. Kayla trembled.

"That latte was loaded with caffine. I'm gonna be up all night."

"You asked for decaff." Brian said turning to look at her.

"They must have mixed it up. Look at my hand I'm shaking."

"You're shaking because you are cold." Brian said taking his jacket off and wrapping it around her shoulders.

Kayla smiled down at him from where she stood on a step.

******************************************************

Andie got her phone and called Brian. She left him a message.

"I am not mad at you Brian. It's just me. I'm sorry for how I have been acting but I am just going through so much and its hard right now. It's not your fault at all. Listen, I know this isn't fair to ask you right now but Invitationals are coming up and I really want you to be there. I'm sorry that we keep missing each other. I love you." Sighed and hung up.

******************************************************

*Meanwhile*

Brian looked up at Kayla smiling. Slowly and unsure at first, Brian moved up to kiss her. The kiss was fast and done with but after, they kissed again and longer.

*******************************************************

*Invitationals*

The meet had been going well for Andie. She was still nervous though. Only the top 6 of the meet were invited to Nationals.

She and Leslie stood side by side as they waited for their turn on beam.

Anita was up before them.

"Come on Anita you can do it." Andie yelled.

Anita jumped up onto the beam and went through the routine. David was watching very closely.

She bent backward and kicked up into a handstand. Coming up she moved into a flip flop but fell off the beam. She gave David a look. He was glaring upset.

Bitting her lip, Anita jumped up onto the beam.

Andie yelled her support but looked around the gym.

"Getting nervous?" Leslie asked her.

"No, I'm just looking for Brian."

"If I were you Andie, I would be a little more worried about your routine instead of your boyfriend."

Andie sighed. She turned back just intime to see Anita stick her dismount.

"Ok Leslie, You are next." David said.

Leslie nodded. Anita rubbed her stomach.

"Gosh it hurts so bad." She said bending over. "I can't get it to stop growling I'm so hungry."

Leslie turned to her.

"Get yourself together or something Andie. Get some water or something and get it together. I'm not your babysitter." She snapped.

Andie was slightly stunned. Leslie walked away and began to do her routine on beam.

Brian walked in and slipped into a seat next to Andie's parents. He waved at Andie. She smiled and waved back. She stepped out of her warm up suite ready for her turn after Leslie finished.

Soon, Leslie had complete her routine. She smiled satified with her score. Andie took a deep breath and stepped upto the beam.

Raising both arms above her head, she saluted the judges. Her eyes narrowing, Andie mounted the beam. She pulled all of her focus to what she was doing. She could feel that she was doing well through out her entire routine.

Andie danced along the beam ready for her dismount. She turned to face the opposite side of the beam The room was slightly swaying. Andie blinked trying to focus. She threw her body forward and tumbled down the beam for her dismount.

She stuck it and threw her arms up. The room was still out of forcus. She looked up at the scoreboard but could not make out what it said.

Suddenly, she fell forward, passing out.

********************************************************

Andie sat on the table in the back room with her parents, Brian and trainer.

"What happened what made her pass out?" Andie's mom asked still scared.

"That is what I am trying to find out." The trainer answered taking Andie's blood pressure.

"What did you have to eat today Andie?"

"A banana." She answered soflty.

"And that is not enough!" Her mom broke in.

"I'm sorry I was just nervous." Andie answered.

"Well, you have to eat lots of carbs before big meets like this." The trainer said.

Andie nodded and turned to Brian.

"Thank's for coming."

He smiled down at her.

"It was no big deal. But you scared me."

"I'm sorry."

Brian bent his head down and kissed her as David walked in.

"How does it feel to be on your way to Nationals!" David asked.

Andie shrieked.

"Oh my gosh! Are you serious?"

"Yup, you made the top six with Leslie.

Andie screamed and hugged David.

She still could make the Olympic team.