- Text Size +
Chapter 17

Nick looked around the graveyard he found himself wondering into for the first time in years. Samantha was here. A small smile made a quick appearance on Nicks' face when he saw her headstone. He walked over to it and got down in his knees and ran his fingers over the words that were carved into the stone.

"Hey baby, it's been a while," he started off shyly. "I didn't mean to leave you here all alone for as long as I did, hope you can forgive me. The wife and I broke it off. I just couldn't stay with her. Things didn't end how I hoped they would. I didn't want to say the things I said the way that I said them. They came out way too harsh. It's too late to do anything now because I can't change what's been said. But enough about that, I'm sure you don't want to hear all the shit that's been going on. Let me tell you about some brighter things. Clare, my oldest, remember? Well she's getting married. I can't believe it. She is about the same age that we were when we got engaged, you know that? Now I can say I know why our parents flipped when we told them," Nick said with a laugh. "She had almost the same exact reaction we had. Go figure. I bumped into Alex just before all that happened. I know you had something to do with all of that. You saw me find that stuff, didn't you? Thanks. I needed that, but you already knew that. Afterall, you could read me better than a book. That's what I loved about you. You always knew when something was wrong. I miss that, I miss you. I haven't been the same since I lost you. I try and act like time has made me better and I think everyone's brought it, but I can't lie to you. After all this time, I'm still miserable. Almost twenty-four years have gone by but I still can't let you go. Why did this have to happen?" Nick asked as tears began to build up in his eyes. "We were so happy. There was a great life ahead of us. Why did you have to go and leave it all behind?" Nick stopped to let his tears fall.

Brian rang the door bell at Nicks house and waited for an answer. He stuck his hands into the pockets of this jacket. A friendly smile appeared on his face when Grace opened the door. "Hey, where's your dad?"

"I don't know, he went some place almost an hour ago," she replied. "But you can come inside and wait for him if you like, I don't think he'll be gone for much longer."

] "Thanks," Brian replied as he followed Grace into the house, closing the door behind him. "So did he say where he was headed to? Maybe I could catch up with him there."

"No sorry. He just said that he'd be back in a little while," she answered with a shrug.

"Okay, but are you sure that you don't mind me hanging around until your pops gets back, do you?" he asked. She smiled.

"It's fine, besides if my dad found out you were here and made you leave, he'd kick my butt around the world three times," she joked, Brian laughed. "Would you like anything?"

"No thanks."

"Alright but if you change your mind feel free to make yourself at home," she replied.

"Thanks," he answered. "So how was your sleep over?"

"It was alright. But honestly, I only went to stay outta my dads way. I knew he was going to want to spend some time with you guys so I figured if I was spending a night at a friends he wouldn't worry about coming home and cutting out on some fun since Clare and Chris are gone."

"I think you're old enough to be home alone."

"Yeah so do I, but dad gets a little crazy about leaving me here alone for a long time. He hasn't given me the chance yet so I think it'll be a little hard to convince him otherwise. Besides, I don't want to start a fight with him, it's really the last thing that he needs right now."

"You're a good kid."

"Thanks mister..." she said pausing, waiting for him to tell her his last name.

"Just call me Brian. Don't worry about the mister thing. Your dad is like family to me so that kinda makes you family too," he replied with a wink.

"Alright," she answered. "So what was my dad like when he was younger?"

"He was a big goof ball from the second I met him," Brian replied with a laugh as he thought back to the first time they had met. "But he had a lot of heart. He was completely loving the fact that we were about to be in a band. He was excited and so was I. God, when we got our record deal and started traveling to Europe we all got close. Your dad ended up being the biggest prankster I've ever met in my life. Somehow me and him got to be real good friends and I helped him pull a couple of good ones on the other guys. No matter what, he was a good guy. He dealt with a lot of crap because of the business that we were in but he didn't let it control him. He was my best friend for a while."

"What happened?"

"Time happened I guess. The band took a break and it went a lot longer than any of us expected so we called a meeting and ended it," Brian explained.

"Why didn't you keep in touch?"

"Because Nick was mad about it our decision. Not that I can blame him. That band was the only thing that he ever knew and we took it away from him. His fiancé died about two weeks before. He was just in a really bad place when this happened. I told myself I would give him some time to calm down before I gave him a call, but as time went by, I was afraid that he wouldn't want to talk to me so I never did call. I regret that now."

"Hey, you're here aren't you? It's not exactly an ideal hallmark moment or anything but still, you're here and dad's happy."

"Yeah, I just wish it didn't happen like this. I thought that if we ever all got together again, it would be this great thing. We'd all be so happy and our families would be happy. I didn't think we'd end up seeing the things we did."

"Can I be honest with you?" Grace said as she leand close to Brian just in case Nick was to talk in while she was speaking. "He's happier now than I've seen for a long time. Don't worry about what happened here. Just make the best of the time that you've got, okay?"

"Geez, you're Nicks?" Brian said with a small laugh. "You're so much more mature then he was when he was your age. Hell, you're more mature then he is now."

"I think my mom had something to do with that," she stated, with a smile on her face.

"When do you think you're gonna see Clare and Chris again?" Brian asked.

"Either at her wedding, whenever that is, or at Christmas. Which ever comes first."

"She doesn't have a date?"

"Not that I know of," Grace answered. "But I'm sure as soon as my dad finds out, the whole world is gonna know."

"What makes you say that?"

"He's gonna kill Brad. That's headline making news!"

"He doesn't like this guy huh?"

"Not really. I mean he's never actually said that he didn't like him but you can tell by the way that he acts. He's real angry when Brads around."

"Maybe it's because he's finally seeing that his daughter is growing up," Brian explained. "I remember seeing the same attitude on his fiancé's parents faces when he told them that they were going to get married."

"Yeah I guess," she replied.

"So what's going on with you?"

"Nothing really. I'm just trying to get through high school. I'm a junior this year so I want to keep my grades up, you know?"

"Yeah, that must make your dad happy."

"Yeah, but sometimes I think he cares more about Clare than Chris and I."

"That's not true. I know your dad and I didn't think that there is any way that he could favor one of you guys. I just think that he looks at Clare in a different light because she was his first child. That was a major thing that happened to Nick."

"That makes sense. It's just a little weird, you know?"

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. Your dad loves you, I know that much. The other night he kept talking about you. About how great you are. So don't worry. You don't anything to worry about. Trust me."

Grace smiled but turned her head as she heard the door opening. "That's gotta be my dad. I'm sure he'll love to see you."

"Oh, Brian. Hi," Nick said, clearing his throat, as he paused at the living room door.

"I'll be upstairs," Grace announced, as she stood up from her chair.

"It was night talking to you," Brian called.

"You too," she replied as she disappeared around the corner of the hallway.

"What's wrong with you?" Brian asked, sensing that something was bothering Nick.

"Nothing. I'm fine," Nick answered as he sat across from Brian. Brian looked at him questioningly.

"Dude, I know something's wrong. I can tell just by looking at you. Come on, tell me what's up."

"Seriously, it's nothing. I just went to go see Sam. I got a little emotional, that's all. Nothing more than that," he explained. Brian nodded in understanding.

"Why don't you come with me. I've got a surprise that I think you're going to love," Brian said with mischief in his eyes.

"Man, I think I did too good of a job bringing back the old days," Nick replied with a laugh.

"For real, Nick. Come with me. You're going to love what I have to show you."

"Can't you just tell me what it is?"

"No! It wouldn't be the same! Come on," Brian said standing up. "Trust me, come on." Nick sighed as he looked up at Brian.

"Alright, fine," Nick answered, giving in. "Just let me go tell Grace that I'm leaving."