- Text Size +
Sorry for taking so long to update! Thanks for all the great reviews!
~*~*~

Chapter 19

"So he's seriously going back into the studio?" Clare asked her sister over the phone.

"That's what he said. Brian came over here yesterday, they went out and suddenly when dad got home he asked me if it was okay for him to do an album," Grace explained.

"Obviously you said that it was okay," she replied.

"Yeah, when he got home he just seemed so much happier. I couldn't say that it would bother me."

"Does it?"

"What?"

"Bother you?"

"No, I think dad really needs this right now. Besides, it gives me a lot of time to myself, which I really need. So dad and I are both getting something out of this."

"What you need to be alone for?"

"I don't know. I just need some time to think about everything that's happened. It all happened so fast and I feel kinda responsible for it."

"Responsible? You didn't do anything wrong," Clare assured her younger sister.

"I was the one that showed dad the photoalbum that proved that mom had cheated."

"He needed to know, Grace. Don't feel bad about what happened. If you guy had cheated on you, you'd want to know about it."

"Maybe I should have waited until after Christmas though."

"What's done is done. Just worry about what's going on now and everything is going to be fine, alright?"

"Okay," Grace replied with a sigh. "So you set a date for the wedding yet?"

"Not yet. We just know that we want it to be in the summer. I was hoping for this summer but the way things are going, I don't think that's going to happen. We're not going to have enough time to plan everything."

"Dad's going to love that," Grace replied with a laugh.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Last time I talked to him though, he seemed okay with the fact that we're getting married. Maybe he's over how much he hates Brad."

"No, just a little side tracked." Clare laughed.

"Either way, I'm not complaning. It gives me something to work with."

"Think he'll write you guys a wedding song?"

"Yeah, when hell freezes over. He wouldn't give Brad the satisfaction."

"I'll talk to you later, dad's back," Grace stated as she heard Nicks car pull into the drive way.

"Alright, be good. Tell dad I said hi. I love ya," Clare replied.

"Love you too. Bye," she answered as she hung up the phone and walked to the front door where Nick was coming in. "Hey dad."

"Hey Grace. What's up?" he asked taking his jacket off.

"Nothing. So when are you going to start with the CD?"

"In a week or so actually. Brian's going to call me and let me know all of the details as soon as he knows them. Why, you lookin' to get rid of me?" Nick asked jokingly.

"No, don't be crazy. I just want you to be happy. Oh and Clare says 'hi.'"

"She called?"

"No, I called her. I wanted to talk to her about something."

"Something you couldn't talk to with your dad about?" Nick asked as they walked into the living room. Grace smiled and shook her head.

"It was girl stuff dad. I don't think you wanna hear about it," she stated.

"What makes you think that? I'm your dad. I want to help. So come on, shoot. I'll try and help ya out," he said. She shook her head with a big grin on her face.

"Alright, if you insist," she replied, arming herself with the one problem that she knew her dad wouldn't want to hear anything about or even understand anything about. "When I get my period..."

"Woah hold on right there.. did Clare help you figure that one out?" Nick interrupted, hoping that he didn't have to hear the rest of her situation. He wouldn't know what to tell her anyway.

"Yeah, pretty much."

"Okay, then you don't need my advice on this one."

"I told you it was girl stuff, dad."

"Damn, you could have given me more of a warning," Nick replied with a laugh. I mean damn, what do I know about that?"

"So you gonna be writing anything for the CD?" Grace asked trying to change the subject. She could tell that her father wasn't really comfortable talking to her about that, even if it was just to say that he didn't know anything.

"Probably," he said, Grace watched as he loosened up quickly. "I would really love to. I've actually written a couple things over the years. Well see if the guys like any of them."

"I'm sure they will dad," she assured. "They put all this together for you, didn't they?"

"Yeah but that doesn't mean that they are going to like my stuff. It's kinda personal so I'd be hurt if they thought that it was bad."

"It'll be fine dad," she answered as the phone rang. "Hello?" Grace answered as she walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone.

"Hey honey," Erin said. Grace nearly dropped the phone from shock. Nick leaned on the door frame a moment later.

"Hi mom," she replied, looking at Nick. He shifted uncomfortably, his eyes showing the fact that he was hoping that she didn't want to talk to him. Having a conversation with her at this point would be almost impossible. It would just end up being another fight and that was the last thing that he wanted. He didn't want to fight with her, he never did. That was just the path that everything happened to take. That was something that he would do anything that he could avoid having to deal with again. It wasn't that he liked to avoid confrontation. He just didn't want to make things so bad between them that their children had to suffer because of the hositility they would have created.

"How are you?" Erin asked.

"I'm fine. How's things at grandmas?"

"It's okay. I was just calling to see how you were."

"I'm alright. Talked to Clare today," she informed her mother.

"Oh," she answered, obviously not too thrilled to her Clare's name. "How is she?"

"She's pretty good," she replied as she watched Nick walk out of the kitchen so that she could talk to her mother in private.

"That's good. Have you talked to Chris since he left?"

"No."

"Oh. If you do, let him know that I asked about him."

"Sure will."

"Well, I'll talk to you later.." Erin said letting her voice trail off. Surprised at how hard she found it to speak to her own daughter.

"Mom..." Grace said quickly before her mother could hang up the phone.

"Yes?"

"Don't be mad at Clare. She wasn't the one that showed dad those pictures, it was me. I found them and I didn't know what else to do. I thought that dad had the right to know. I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry for ever letting that happen," Erin replied. "I shouldn't have cheated on your dad. Is he there?" Grace hesitated.

"Yeah," she finally answered.

"Do you think he'll be willing to talk to me?"

"I don't know, I can ask."

"Okay, I'll hang on." Grace sighed to herself as she walked into the living room to find her dad sitting on the couch watching T.V.. He looked up at her. He knew that Erin wanted to talk to him by the look on Grace's face.

"Mom wants to talk to you," she said softly. Nick nodded as he took the phone from Grace.

"Erin," he stated. Grace turned around and walked out of the living room, leaving Nick to have privacy just as he had done for her.

"I just wanted to know that my lawyer sent me the papers for divorce from your lawyer," she replied pausing. "Are you sure that this is what you want to do?" Nick sighed.

"Yes."

"Alright. I'll send the papers in," she replied hurtfully. "I still love you though."

"Erin, please don't."

"We could have worked this out," she continued. "I'm willing to work through our problems. Keep that in mind if you ever change your mind about this. Don't be afraid to call me, okay?" Nick closed his eyes. He didn't know what to say. He didn't want to sound heartless, but he also did not want to falsely give her high hopes.

"Yeah, but I'm not going to change my mind," he finally settled on saying.

"Bye Nick."

"Bye," he replied as hung up the phone. This part of his life was finally coming to an end. An end that he never thought that he would live to see.