- Text Size +
Chapter 3

"Nick, there you are!" Erin exclaimed when she heard the front door open. Silently, Nick walked into the house as Erin ran up to him. "Where were you? We were wondering where the hell you went!"

"I'm sorry about worrying you guys. I just needed to take a walk," Nick explained. Erin looked him at carefully. Something was on his mind. In the years they had been together, she had learned how to read his every emotion.

"Well what happened on this walk that got you all worked up?" Erin questioned as Nick continued deeper into the house until he arrived in their bedroom.

"Nothing. I just ran into an old friend," Nick answered reluctantly.

"What happened? Was it bad?"

"No it was kinda nice actually. We didn't get to talk much because he had his daughter with him and his family was at his house for the holidays and he had to go."

"Well, then what's bothering you?"

"It's nothing, Erin. I was just thinking about the last time I spoke to him. It was a real long time ago, that's all," Nick answered hoping that she wouldn't ask him any more questions.

"Okay, that's fine," she replied. "We were waiting for you to get home before we started to decorate the tree. Let's go!"

"Yeah," Nick replied forcing a smile. If she had known that the old friend that Nick had run into was AJ or Alex, or whatever he was calling himself these days anyway, she would have been angry, he knew that. It was because of a promise he had made her when they were married. Nick was to keep as much distance between him and his old life as possible. Now, years later, he had all of these questions and he only realized it once he had met up with Alex.

"Alright Grace, plug in the lights," Erin said as Nick watched over at his family who was putting the final touches on their tree. Was it wrong for him to have the feeling of regret that had made its way to the pit of his stomach? Here he was, sitting in his home with his beautiful family, but yet he knew that there was something missing from the picture before him. Had this always been a feeling that was held deep within his heart where no one could find it, not even Nick himself? There had been times when he attempted to visualize what his life may have been like if things hadn't ended the way that they had.

"Isn't that beautiful Nick?" Erin asked as she turned around to look at Nick. He looked up at her and then at the tree quickly.

"Yeah, we really did a great job. It looks better every year," he stated as he smiled.

"It does, doesn't it?" Erin agreed as she continued to admire the tree. "We should get some pictures of all of us in front of the tree. Like we always used to."

"Alright, I'll go get the camera," Nick replied as he started down the hallway. When Nick returned, he found his family gathering in front of the tree. A small smile appeared on his face as he watched them.

"Alright Nick, take the picture," Erin told him. Nick took a step back and snapped the photo of his family.

"It looked great," Nick commented as he placed the camera on the table near him and everyone started to move away.

"Why don't we get one of mom and dad in front of the tree?" Christian suggesed as he picked up the camera. Nick smiled as he pulled Erin into his arms and waited for Christian to take the picture. Once the flash had gone off, Nick let go of Erin.

"Mom, dad, guess who!" Erin jumped up when she heard the voice. There was a look of complete joy on her face.

"Clare?!" she yelled down the hallway as she went to go meet her daughter.

"Hey guys!" Clare yelled as she entered the living room with several bags in her hands. "I'm sorry I didn't call. I was so busy that I didn't have the chance to."

"It's alright, we're just glad that you could make it!" Erin replied. "We were afraid that we were going to miss you!"

"Where do you want me to put this stuff Clare?" a voice yelled from down the hall. Erin glanced over at Nick immediately.

"Just put it down and come here," she replied. Once he had walked into the living room, Nick was almost steaming, but fought it off. "You guys remember Brad. I hope that you don't mind me bringing him."

"No, it's fine," Erin replied before Nick had the chance to say anything.

"Dad, how've you been?" Erin asked as she walked towards her father.

"Good," he answered as he hugged his daughter. "How 'bout yourself?"

"Been better, I mean you guys did the tree without me!"

"We weren't sure if you were gonna show," Christian stated as he looked at his younger sister. She smiled at him.

"Yeah I guess I kind of left that open there for a while."