- Text Size +
Chapter 7

"Howie?" Nick forced as he stared at the familiar man who was standing before him.

"Hey Nicky, how's it been?" Howie asked with a large smile on his face. Nick laughed and hugged his old friend.

"Same old, same old," he replied.

"I talked to Alex this morning. He thought that it would be a good idea for me to come and see you," he explained.

"You two kept in touch?"

"No. Which was surprising really, but what are you going to do? Actually, he looked me up. We talked for awhile and then you came up. How've you been, for real?"

"Alright for the most part. I just came across some old stuff yesterday and it really freaked me out. It got to me."

"Dad! Do you have any batteries?" Clare yelled as she walked up to the front door.

"Howie, this is my daughter Clare. Clare, this is Howie, an old friend of mine," Nick introduced once Clare had made it completely to the front door.

"Nice to meet you," Howie said.

"Yeah, you too," she replied. "Where are the batteries dad?"

"Kitchen. Top draw on the left. If they aren't there then we don't have any," Nick explained.

"Okay, thanks."

"She has your eyes," Howie stated matter-of-factly.

"That's what everyone says," Nick replied.

"How old is she?"

"Tweny-two."

"Were's the wife? I would love to meet her," Howie questioned.

"Out. Besides, I don't think that it would be a good idea if I introduced the two of you. Trust me."

"Why not?"

"For the same reason I told Alex, when Erin and I got together, I was supposed to forget about my old life. Which I did up until yesterday when I found all that shit."

"So you've been holding all of your emotions since everything happened? Nick, that's not such a good idea. It's no wonder that it's getting to you now."

"Howie, I'm alright now. I've talked to Alex and Clare. They seemed like they really listened to me and that's really what I needed. No worries." Howie smiled at him.

"You sure? I've known you awhile. You never got over things that fast."

"I've changed. Think about it, how long as it been since you've seen me last?"

"True, you're right," Howie replied. "I'm glad to see that things have turned out really well for you. We were worried about you for awhile there. We all wanted what was best for you."

"Do you think I got that? What was best for me?"

"Yes of course. Nick you have a lot going for you. You're daughter seems great and you have other kids right? So trust me, everything worked out for the best just like we hoped. So how have the holidays been otherwise?"

"Just found out Clare's getting married," Nick answered with a laugh.

"Makes you wonder where all the time has gone, doesn't it?"

"Seriously. I didn't think that she would get married this soon, it's... well it's crazy. Everything is changing again man."

"Yeah, but it's a good change."

"As long as there aren't any grandkids for a long time, I'll be okay with the idea," Nick replied.

"I don't blame you man. Alex has a grandson, isn't that wild??" Howie asked. "Imagine Brian. Baylee is the oldest kid of all of ours. He's probably got a grandkid or two by now himself."

"I should let you go before Erin gets home and I have to explain all this to her," Nick stated. "We should keep in touch man."

"Sure," Howie answered. "This time I mean it."

"You better," Nick replied jokingly.