- Text Size +
Chapter 8

Nick watched as Erin started to put things together for their Chirstmas dinner. She never wanted him to help her because he wasn't much of a cook and they both knew that. This was one of the only special meals they get during the year and she wasn't going to let Nick mess anything about it up so she would never let him do anything other than watch. Nick sighed when he began to get bored and wandered out of the kitchen.

"Dad," Clare said, grabbing Nicks' arm as he walked past her room.

"Yeah?"

"Come in for a second, I want to talk to you about something real quick," she said letting go of his arm and stepping out of the way so that he could enter.

"So what's up?" he asked as he sat on one of the chairs in the bedroom.

"I listened to the CD," she explained. "At first, I didn't know what to think. I just thought that it would be some old music of my dads and that it would suck, but after I listened to it, that changed. It was a good CD, what happened? For real this time."

"I told you what really happened. We decided to part ways and we just lost touch with each other. Sometimes your friendships aren't as strong as you think they are."

"If your friendships weren't so strong why are you suddenly running into these guys again. That has to tell you something dad."

"I met up with Alex the other day by accident, it wasn't as if we were looking for each other."

"What about Howie?"

"Alex sent him here. I guess he figured that I needed to talk to him or something. Back when we were a band, Howie was the one that always tried to fix things. He just wanted everyone to be happy."

"They kept in touch?"

"No, he told me that Alex looked him up," Nick explained.

"That wasn't an accident," she replied.

"What are you getting at Clare?"

"That maybe this is what you're missing," she answered as she pointed at the CD. "Call me crazy, but you sound a lot different on this album then you do now." Nick laughed.

"I was like eightteen when we recorded that, of course I sound different!" She smiled.

"That's not what I meant. I meant that there sounds like something is missing in your soul. Maybe you should get in touch with the rest of these guys, maybe that will fill part of it."

"Clare, do you know how crazy that is?"

"Crazy or not, it's what you need to do and in your heart you know that. You've known it all along but you were just waiting for someone to tell it to you."

"Clare..."

"No, dad listen," she interrupted, "after talking to you the other day, I think that I know the real you now. You told me for a reason. A part of you wanted to tell me, something that you didn't even tell mom about and now I want to help you. I want you to be happy. Mom will understand that. Besides, you don't even have to tell her what you're doing. She doesn't need to know. This can stay between the two of us."

"It's not as easy as that."

"Why? Because you won't let it be that easy. I don't have to be back for classes until Feburary I can stay a little longer than I planned and help you."

"Look, all of this just needs to stay buried, it's better that way."

"I saw the way you looked when you answered the door yesterday. You were really happy to see Howie so don't act like you don't want to see the other guys."

"Fine, I would like to see them again but that just isn't going to happen alright? Just leave this alone," Nick pleaded.

"I'm only trying to help dad. I want to see you happy, alright?" Clare stated.

"I am happy Clare."

"Yeah well, you could have fooled me because I thought you looked even happier yesterday but maybe I was wrong. Must have been seeing something, right?"

"Don't be mad Clare, this has nothing to do with you, that's all," Nick said as he left the room. Clare sighed softly and walked out of the room herself.

"What's all the secrets about?" Grace asked with Christian standing by her side.

"What secrets?" Clare asked, looking at her younger sibilings.

"Come on Clare, ever since you got here dad's been acting weird," Christian explained, "there has to be some reason for that."

"Clare..." Brad called as he walked into the hallway but paused when he saw her with her brother and sister. "Hey, guys."

"Hi Brad," Christian said, keeping his eyes locked on Clare.

"What's going on here? Is there some family conspiracy that I should know about?" Brad questioned. Clare fought the urge to smack him, even though she knew he was only joking.

"You could say that," Grace replied.

"Okay..." Brad said, his uneasyness obvious. "I'll just let you guys talk then." The hall remained silent even after Brad was long gone.

"Is there something that we should know about?" Christian asked.

"No, it's nothing trust me. Me and dad are just talking. Is there something wrong with that?" Clare asked as she continued to stare at her brother. He stared back at her, both of them waiting to see who would crack first.

"Are you okay?" Grace asked. "There's nothing going on with you, right?"

"Look guys, I'm fine. I was just trying to straighten things out with dad. I know he isn't that crazy about Brad, but we're getting serious and I just wanted to make sure that dad was okay with that," she said hoping they would believe her.

"Oh," Grace replied.

"Serious?" Christain questioned.

"Yes serious, Chris," Clare answered, "we're actaully getting married this summer. Now do you understand why dad and I have been talking so much?"

"Married?" Christain repeated. Clare smiled.

"Yes. We're getting married," she said slowing her voice down as if he hadn't understood.

"Aren't you a little too young to be getting married?"

"No, I'm not because when you know, you know. It doesn't matter how old you are," she explained. "You'll understand when you're older."

"Ha ha, real funny Clare," Christian said sarcastically. "You're not that much older than me."

"Just trust me Chris, everything is alright," Clare explained. "There's nothing that you should be worring about so just get over it."

"Alright, I'm sorry damn," Christian replied as he and Grace walked away from Clare. She sighed, glad that she didn't have to tell them what she and Nick had just been speaking about. Nick probably didn't want them to know what she knew anyway. Clare ran her fingers through her hair as she let out a sigh of relief. The thought had crossed her mind that she might not be able to convince Grace and Christian of what she was saying.