- Text Size +
Epilogue: Homecoming

"Oh I can't wait until I get home. I'm not moving unless it's to feed Jerald," Tierja moaned softly as she eased down into the wheelchair next to her bed. The hospital had allowed her to rest for a few hours and then suggested she go home to recover. They found it was easier for new mothers to heal at their own comfort level.

"Is that any different from before he was born?" Kevin joked, holding onto the carseat handle that was cradling their newborn swaddled in blankets and pillows to keep him warm from the blistery spring weather outside.

"You know, you're not supposed to tease a new mother, because she's been known to devour her fiance like a black widow," Tierja threatened.

"I'm sorry," he leaned down and kissed the top of her head as she grasped the wheels. "Ready to go, Tier?"

"Yes, I hate the hospital."

"Then let's go. Howie and Ana have already left--"

"That little stinker! She knew I wanted to see Cadence!" Tierja growled, finding a little energy and wheeling out the room and down the hall.

"She'll drive you crazy sometimes, but you'll love her just the same," Kevin chuckled down at his son, who was suckling on his tiny fingers as they followed Tierja.

"I gave her that baby early, she should be buying me one humongous thank you present! Sure, Howie was a little upset at me, but they're holding her right now!"

"Baby, just shush and get in the car," Kevin shook his head, leaning forward in the backseat to buckle Jerald in.

"But it's--"

"The sooner we get in the car, the faster we'll be at their place."

"Where I can give her the tongue lashing of her lifetime!" Tierja burned, carefully standing to reach the passenger door of the car. Though, Kevin quickly came to her aid once Jerald was secure, knowing she was still in discomfort from the birthing process. The physician had made sure to tell them all the gory details, like the fact that she would continue to bleed several days after the birthing process. And, any time Tierja mentioned it, Kevin just decided to buy her a bigger gift. It was the least he could do after she delivered their somewhat large infant.

"Or you could just give a hug and kiss to congratulate her on having a baby the same day as you? Didn't the two of you talk about that when you were kids?" Kevin replied, helping her sit down in the soft seat and shutting the door before jogging to the driver's side. He started the ignition and sped back towards the Dorough's.

"No, a tongue lashing is more appropriate."

"Tierja Holly--"

"I've known her a lot longer than you have. I know what's appropriate for that brat."

"And here I thought the hormones settled down after having a baby," Kevin groaned as they finally pulled into the long driveway. Brian, Nick and AJ's cars were already there along with Ana's shining purple Hummer with a matching Corvette for Howie.

"How come they came to see Cadence first?"

"Because AJ's suggested that he's the father?"

"Howie's going to be freaking out... just watch," Tierja snickered, opening her door and slowly getting out.

"We're all hoping for a priceless Jerry Springer moment, because Ana loves to play with J," Kevin agreed with a light smirk, reaching into the back to withdraw his son. He smiled as he was greeted with a pair of soft green eyes watching him. "We're getting you inside to see the family, buddy."

"It's going to be entertaining," Tierja stood by the front of the car and waited for her two favorite men. She smiled and cooed at Jerald as he gurgled and writhed in the carseat. "Hi, Sweetheart. Ready to go inside?"

"He's anxious to meet that girlfriend of his..."

"They're going to be an adorable couple," Tierja threaded her arm through Kevin's and they walked towards the front door. It was the famiy she had always wanted and she thanked God that the tornado hadn't taken any of the lives of her friends or lover.

"Until Howie gets too protective--"

"AJ! YOU'RE GOING TO GET IT!" Howie's thundering voice interrupted Kevin as they entered the house.

"Until?" Kevin repeated.

"Umm... I'd like to retract my--"

"Hey, look who's here!" Leighanne shouted with a grin, running to greet her cousins.

"Hey, Leigh," Kevin greeted, leaning to kiss Leighanne's cheek as she immediately moved to eye the first newborn infant born into the family.

"Oh, he's so adorable! Hi, Jerald. Welcome to the family. It may be a little bit crazy, but you're going to love it," Leighanne bent down and cooed to him, ignoring Howie chasing AJ around the living room while everyone else laughed.

"What did AJ say this time?" Tierja questioned as AJ practically dove in between them, scrambling for the stairs before Howie could catch his ankles.

"That Cadence should have this last name... and asked Ana to remember the night Howie bonded with John when they were alone... other things that aren't appropriate to speak in front of Jerald... needless to say, it ticked Howie off."

"And amused Ana to no extent?" Kevin guessed with a chuckle as he allowed his wife to gently lift their son from his carseat. He knew she was anxious to speak with her best friend and he honestly didn't blame her. They had been parted far too long, especially since the birth of their children.

"But of course," Leighanne grinned, following Tierja to the couch where Ana was sitting with her daughter. Kevin decided to be peacemaker once again and tried to chase down AJ and Howie.

"Tierj, hey," Ana laughed softly, her blue-green eyes practically dancing at the sight of her best friend. "Howie wouldn't let me wait at the hospital for you. He said I needed to take Cadie home and rest since she's still a little exhausted--"

"You're both little buttheads and I was going to give you a tongue lashing," Tierja interrupted, settling next to Ana on the couch. "But Cadence is so beautiful I don't think I could do it."

"That's exactly what I thought when I first saw her," Ana agreed with a wistful smile, glancing down to her sleepy eyed daughter. She looked absolutely adorable in the light purple body suit embroided with a light yellow crown to compliment the purple and yellow striped pants Ana had selected for her daughter to wear home. She had even gone as far as to slide a light purple hair band over her thick, black curls. She was gorgeous in every since of the word, the darkness of her features electrifying the blue-green eyes she had inherited from her mother. "And I dressed her myself."

"You did? Nuh-uh!" Tierja gasped playfully, leaning down to kiss Cadence's cheek.

"Don't tease," Ana pouted, knowing it was truly an accomplishment for herself. "I was really worried that I--"

"Trouble, you're going to be a great momma, alright? Cadie is going to adore you."

"I hope," Ana sighed as Leighanne asked to hold Cadence for a moment. Somewhat hesitant, Ana relinquished the hold of her child. She already missed having Cadence in her arms as Nick moved to sit beside Leighanne, motioning if he could hold Jerald. It also took Tierja a moment, though she trusted Nick from his extensive history with younger siblings. And, once the children were handed off, Ana instantly wrapped her arms around Tierja and cuddled close. "Jerry's adorable."

"So is Cadie. I already told Kevin that they're going to get married someday," Tierja smiled, kissing her best friends cheek. This was exactly hw she had dreamed their lives to be. Full of friends, perfect soulmates and beautiful children.

"Don't tell Howie that Cadie's already betrothed... He might slaughter me... And I'm not exactly on his good side because of the whole AJ incident..."

"I won't tell him... right now. I'm saving that for later--"

"Tierj--"

"You're the one who agreed with AJ!"

"Would you expect anything different from me?"

"No... Because you're never going to change, no matter what happens in our lives."

"Is that so bad?"

"No, actually, I couldn't ask for anything more, really."



Author's note: I hope everyone liked the story, I loved writing it with Anastacia. Thank you so much, girl!