- Text Size +
Author’s Notes: First of all, read this. http://www.antsmarching.org/columns/column.php?columnid=23 and I strongly agree with him. Read it. See what you think. He interpreted the lyrics wonderfully. I could go on for hours of why I agree with him. I interpreted the lyrics differently so they could fit into a story.


~Chapter One~
~If these walls came crumblin' down
Fell so hard, to make us lose our faith
From what's left you'd figure it out
We'd still make lemonade taste like a summer day~
-Dave Matthews Band (Stand Up) “American Baby”

His hair hadn’t started to gray yet but it seemed as if centuries that he’d been on a stage singing his heart out to thousand s of screaming young women and occasional men. He had to admit though, he was getting old and cosmetic surgery was a possibility. Kevin Richardson…ugly? No way. Kevin Richardson with wrinkles…definitely no.

It was a hot day with occasional soft and cool breezes and he steered his car into the driveway of an enormous whit mansion that was surrounded by beautiful purple lilies. Two tall trees stood on either side of the walk way and the grass was nicely trimmed and a deep green hue. Stepping out of the car he began to walk up the sidewalk to the house.

Stopping he rubbed the calf of his leg.

‘Maybe I pulled something while I was working out yesterday.’ He thought sighing. Shrugging it off he half walked and half limped to the door grinning at his odd sense of humor. ‘I am not getting that old, am I? I’m only forty seven.’

Ringing the door bell he stood straight and pulled the light, navy blue jacket closer around his body. Glancing at his watch it read three twenty six. Sighing, he looked up at the door as it opened.

He smiled. She was beautiful. As beautiful as she was before. Long black hair like silk and a low jaw line like himself. She had inherited her mother’s gray steel eyes that were bright yet deeply captivating.

“Hello Anna, nice to see you again.” He said and opened his arms. He saw her half smile and make a small noise of “approval.” She stepped in his hug briefly before ending it after few moments when he refused to let go.

“Hello dad.” She said. She had her arms folded across her chest and she was leaning against the door frame. He had brought her this magnificent house as if to say “I’m sorry for almost never being there when growing up, here’s an enormous house to apologize.”

“I came over to say hi.” He said. Nodding she stepped from the door way.

“Where’s little Brian?” Little Brian was six and his birthday was coming up in two weeks. ’It had been how long since I last seen him? When he was born maybe…’

“He’s upstairs dad, but you can’t see him right now. He’s asleep.” Her voice was so flat. ‘I’m so sorry Anna. I’m sorry.

“Oh okay. How bout later?” That sounded good.

No response except her turning around.

“Want something to drink. Lemonade?”

“Uh sure. That be fine.” He replied. He felt so small then. She hated him. He knew she had a right to but he didn’t want her to. It just hurt.

“Meet you out at the patio.” She said and she walked away into the kitchen. Blowing out air he walked out into the patio. A strong sweet smell of roses hit him and he smiled. ‘She had always liked roses, now Anna’s taking after her mother…’

Sitting down he made himself comfortable in the white chair. Hanging his jackets on the back of his chair, he leaned his arms on the cool glass table as the umbrella shielded him form the sun.

He heard her walk out and looked at her high jean shorts and low cut shirt with white sandals. She set a pitcher full of lemonade on the table swirling with ice. Setting two beautiful and highly decorated cuts on the table she sat down.

“Why are you wearing that?”

“What?”

“You’re revealing too much.” He said and she looked at his muscular arms, then at his chest which was hidden by his shirt then at his face.

“You’re not funny.”

“Okay, never mind.” He mumbled.

“So how’s Thoman?”

“He’s fine.” She replied quickly with a small glare over her face as she looked at the small waterfall in their garden. She looked back to him.

“What’s he doing these days?”

“Can we talk about something else?” she snapped looking at him. Her lips were straight and her eyes…nothing. There was nothing in them. Adjusting himself and clearing his throat he nodded.

“Something else, okay. So how are you?”

“I’m fine, how are you?” she said but more like mocked. He ignored it.

“I’m just fine. What are you doing these days?”

Please don’t ask what are you doing these days?

“Taking care of Brian,” she said somewhat harshly, “And just being there for him when he wants and needs me.” She said quietly and she leaned against the back of the chair and began to stare at the waterfall again.

“Anna, I’m sorry.”

“For what?” she sneered with glassy eyes, “You haven’t done anything dad.” She spat the last word out of her mouth as her lips trembled. Then she buried her face in her arms and sobbed.

“Anna, I’m sorry for everything.” He said and he stood up knocking the chair from behind him. He was a pissant, a screw up. He owed her his non-existence and he knew she was pissed off and hurt. ‘Hell I would be too.’ He said and he pulled her into his arms despite her fierce protest. He ignored her fist and heavy blows to his chest and he blinked back tears when she fell into him crying her eyes out, pouring her soul out.

“I loved you dad! You were my hero but you were never there. Mom raised me by herself. You were never there. She was married to no one. You were always touring. It was like loved the world over us. Then mom got cancer…” she screamed and she fell into his chest and he sobbed.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there, I’m sorry mom died and wasn’t there. I know I was a bad father but I’m sorry and I’ll give you the world for you to forgive me. I’ m s-sorry.” And they stood there enveloped in each others arms crying. Several moments later, Anna stood up straight and looked at him with red eyes. He looked away. He couldn’t face her.

“I’m sorry.” He said sniffing as he ran his fingers through his long hair.

“I just never thought you would apologize.” She said hugging herself, “And I liked N’Sync better than you guys. Dance music has always been my favorite.” She mumbled and he smiled wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her into him.

“Traitor.” He whispered in her ear and she laughed softly sniffing.

“Whatever dad.”

Then his cell phone rang and he flipped it open.

“No, I’m not…I’m with my daughter.” He said smiling as he looked at her, “I’m not leaving anywhere.” She smiled and leaned against his chest as he wrapped his arm around her waist.

“What?!”

“Oh my God!” he said nodding, “I’ll be right there…Yeah J…Should’ve said that in the first place.” He flipped shut his cell phone.

“Your cousin is in the hospital. You want to come?” he asked quickly grabbing his jacket. She smiled softly and shook her head.

“I’ve gotta get Brian registered at school dad.”

“I’ll visit as soon as I came baby.” He said kissing her gently against the check. Smacking her backside gently he grinned.

“Put some clothes on.”


Bluefire Productions
Copyrighted 2005©
All Rights Reserved