- Text Size +
A/N: Domestic violence, child abuse, and sexual assault/rape have become part of this story's family.

~Chapter Three~
~Nobody’s laughing now
God’s grace is gone and the Devil is proud
But I’ve been walking a thousand miles
One last time I could see you smile~

Something had called him to the house in a hurry. It felt as if God had sent a small message to him. Ringing the door he stood there for five minutes. There was no answer. He rang the door bell again and then turned around to glance at the gathering sky. Deep gray clouds were beginning to form rapidly. The temperature had dropped drastically and he felt it. The cool air around him was dry. He turned back to the door and pulled the navy jacket closer around his body. He let a sigh escape his lips before running his hands through his hair. Getting out his cell phone he turned back to the dark sky and punched a number quickly.


“Tim.” Kevin said shifting his weight and looking down to the concrete walkway.

“Yeah. Hey little bro. What’s going on, man?”

“Do you know um, Anna’s cell phone number?” Kevin asked wiping a drop of rain from his face. He began to walk to his car. The sky was getting darker. Blowing air from his mouth he ran his tongue over his teeth.

“What is it?” he asked getting in the car. He slammed the door and leaned back in his chair.

“I’ll text it to you. I’m tired of talking to you. My son taught me how to text people.” Tim responded laughing and Kevin felt himself crack a smile. Looking at his cell, he saw the number across the screen. Dialing the number he waited patiently for an answer.

“Hello.” A small voice said on the other end.

Brian. Something’s wrong.

“Brian?” he asked. Heavy rain came down pounding in clumps down against the car roof as a loud crack of thunder cried out into the dark sky.

“Who is this?” he asked and he sounded frightened.

“Your grand daddy. Where’s mommy?”

“She’s hurt.” He said and he heard the small boy sob.

“Where are you?” Kevin asked as his breath caught in his throat.

Oh God please…

“At home. Help me. Please help mommy.”

“Okay Brian man, open the door okay.” He said and Kevin leaped from his car and he sprinted toward the door. Stopping inches from the door, his black hair clung to his face and his shirt and jacket were soaked.

The door opened seconds later and Brian began to cry. Kevin felt himself swoop the boy up in his arms and he walked in the house and closed the door. Looking at the boy as he hugged him he saw the bruises on his exposed arms.

“Where’s mommy?”

“In the bathroom u-up stairs.” He sobbed hiccupping and he began to cry heavily again.

Skipping stairs he darted around the corner and ran into the bathroom. Setting Brian out side the door, he crawled over to his daughter.

“Oh God!” he cried out, “Anna.” He whispered and he pulled her up gently.

Her face was covered in ugly bruises and cuts. Her eyes were shut and the left one was black and swollen. Various nails were chipped but he could see on one of them the French manicure. Her arms were black and blue. Her lip was cut badly and there was dried blood on the side of her mouth.

Her shirt was half open and it exposed her breast. Her bra was torn and tossed across the bathroom floor like trash. He saw her panties lying in the bath tub. Her skirt was still on but he knew what happened. Half of what happened. Thoman and Anna had been arguing and he didn’t get his way. He beat her, and then he raped her. Buttoning what was left of the buttons on her shirt he quickly laid her down against the cool bathroom floor before racing from the room. Brian began to crawl over to his mother who lay battered on the bathroom floor.

He called 9-1-1 and nearly yelled the situation to the officer that had answered. Promising they’d be there in minutes he hung up and ran back to the bathroom.

“Anna baby, I’m gonna kill him for you. I’m gonna kill that…that…” Hugging her closely he held her frame in his arms. He felt Brian snuggle in his arm and he hugged the crying boy.

Bluefire Productions
Copyrighted 2005©
All Rights Reserved