- Text Size +
~Chapter Four~
~I hold on to you
You bring me hope, I'll see you soon
And if I don't see you, oh
I'm afraid we've lost the way~
-Dave Matthews Band (Stand Up) “American Baby”

The hospital’s lights were so bright to her. She had a fierce headache and he saw her hand go up to her head. He heard her groan and she sighed. As soon as her eyes adjusted to the light she opened one fully. (The other was still very swollen.) Looking over quietly she saw her father rubbing her son’s back. She heard the doctor walk in and she blinked. Her father looked up and he gave her a smile as he hugged her small son against his strong body.

He watched as the doctor checked her vital signs. Walking out she watched Kevin stand to his feet holding Brian in his arms. Brian wore a cast on his left arm. Other than that, blonde hair hung loosely in his face and his eyes were nearly covered by his platinum blonde hair.

“Time for a hair cut for someone?” Kevin questioned or stated smiling and she laughed softly smiling back at him.

Just then the doctor walked in behind a tall black man. He had short hair, a square jaw and an attractive face. He was built with square, broad shoulders and long legs hidden by gray wool suit pants. He wore a long black trench coat.

“Hello, this is Detective William Jones.”

“Hello, I’m going to investigate your case Mrs. Michaels.” He said, “Mr. Richardson, can you please leave.” He said as the doctor walked out of the room.

“No, he can stay.” Anna said as a nurse walked into the room and began to help prop the bed up so she could sit up. Kevin sat down and adjusted Brian in his arms so that his head rested on his chest instead of his shoulder.

“Mrs. Michaels-”

“Call me Anna please.” She said starring at his face with a small smile. Kevin sighed and she looked at him. ‘He’s cute.’ She mouthed to him and he rolled his eyes. She heard the detective laugh and her face flushed in embarrassment.

“Anna,” he said clearing his throat trying to hide a smile, “I need to know what happened.”

“Well,” she said clearing her throat and hugging herself, “Uh, Thoman and I had a fight.” She said softly and Kevin looked up clenching his jaw.

“Who’s Thoman?” he asked sitting in a chair scribbling down notes. Kevin glanced over to the small black tape recorder that sat on a table next to her hospital bed.

“He’s my husband.” She whispered sighing. She pulled the blanket around her arms.

“What was the fight about?”

“He had just come home from work and he wanted…s-sex.” She said blowing air form her mouth, “I told him no then he went all crazy on me.”

To Kevin, her eyes were big. She looked small again. Like a little girl again. His little girl had been violated. Touched. Hurt. He wanted to kill Thoman. No wait, he was going to kill him. First he’d wrap his hands slowly around the man’s neck and squeeze the life out of him slowly. As soon as he was nearly dead and he almost stopped moving he would release him and beat the living crap out of him. He’d take the dignity out of him. Then he’d finish him off by letting Anna stomp on his face or something. Smiling he nodded. He liked that.

“So what did he do? What do you mean by he went crazy on you?” he said leaning forward.

“Well uh,” Anna said swallowing hard, he saw her shudder as she gently brushed her hand across her swollen eye, “He started hitting Brian. I tried to stop him and he slammed me into the w-wall. I banged my head and it was all kind of dazy. Um uh I woke up and Brian was screaming. I got up and started hitting Thoman and he hit me again. He started kicking Brian and I ran up stairs to get the phone and then he pushed me into the bathroom…” she said and she started to cry as she buried her face into her hands. Kevin gently placed Brian in the chair and quickly strode over to her hugging her gently.

“He started hitting me and kicking me and then he raped me and then he threw my head down hard and then I c-cant re-remember anything else.” She cried clinging onto her father.

“Thank you Anna.” He said standing to his feet, “I promise I will do everything in my power to get this man in jail.” He said nodding to her. She looked at him, “I hate it when good women get stuck with stupid men.” With that he put his hat back on his head and walked out taking the tape recorder with him. She buried her face into Kevin’s chest. He gently rubbed her back.

“He’ll find him baby. Hell, I’ll find him. He ran cause he knew I was coming for him. And I am coming for him. I’ll get him. I’ll get him.” Kevin whispered in her ear and she sniffed as her head rested against his chest.