- Text Size +
Chapter One
 
Anita laughed as Kevin pulled her down into his lap.
 
"Let go you crazy person!"
 
"Mmm babe, this is the life." Kevin answered kissing her neck.
 
"I need to go to the store."
 
She looked at him.
 
"Why?"
 
"To get a test of course." He answered. "I mean after last night, well I am pretty sure you are pregnant."
 
She giggled and turned to kiss him.
 
"I can't believe we have already been married for six months."

"Oh, I can." He answered.

He gently shifted her so he would be able to stand up.

"Do you have to go Kev?" Anita asked with a pout.

"Yes darling. We have to know if you are pregnant."

She flushed slightly but her eyes glowed happily. She watched as Kevin glanced out the window. A slight drizzle had started. He winked at her as he pulled on a sweatshirt.

"Do you have to go?" She said once again this time with a frown.

He let his eyes travel over his wifes face. She looked worried suddenly.

"What's wrong darlin?"

"I don't know. I just hate being out in the rain."

"Baby," He started taking her into his arms. "I will not be away for more than 20 minutes ok?"

She sighed hard her shoulders slumping.

"Ok, just be careful."

He leaned in and kissed her gently. She closed her eyes to savor the taste of him. She hated not being by his side all the time.

She wrapped her arms around his neck as he lifted her up.

"What are you doing?" She questioned with a smile.

"Putting you onto the couch so you can rest."

"I can walk you know..."

"If you are pregnant, I will not take any risks."

She rolled her eyes playfully but let him do what he wanted.

"Be back in a while babe." He quickly kissed her again and walked out.

Bored to be alone, Anita grabbed a magazine and set to read.

*************************************

Anita paced in the living room. Where the hell was Kevin? He had already been gone for over an hour.

She walked to the window and looked outside hoping to see his car turning into the drive way. Instead, all she saw were the sheets of rain that was falling.

Her phone rang, drawing her away from the window.

"Is Kevin back?" Rachel asked when Anita picked up the phone.

The two were best friends. Ray dated Brian who was Kevins first cousin.

"No." Anita sighed.

"Well I'm sure he will be home soon. The rain is outragous so he is probably driving safely.

"Yeah, I suppose."

There was a brisk knock at the door.

"I have to go Ray, there is someone at the door." Anita said.

"Ok, call me when Kevin gets home."

Anita hung up and walked to the door humming. She swung it open and froze when she saw two soaked uniformed police men.

"Are you Mrs. Richardson?" The one on the left asked.

"Um yes..." She said slowly wondering what in the world they wanted with her.

They stepped in removing their hats. Rain dripped off of them onto the hall way floor.

"Mrs. Richardson, there has been an accident. Your husband Kevin was in an accident."

Anita felt all of the air leave her. Her heart was pouding. An accident! She wished they would get out of the way she had to get to the hospital to see him.

She wasn't aware that she was moving until a hand stopped her. She turned and looked into the eyes of the second officer.

"Mrs. Richardson, your husband is dead." She said.

"NO!" Anita screamed unwilling to listen to the words that were just spoken.

The officers both had sad looks on their faces.

Anita tore away from them and ran out into the rain. She ignored their commands for her to stop. She flew in agony across the street to the familiar house and began pouding on the door.

The door flew open and there stood a startled Brian and behind him, a wide eyed Ray.

"Anita! What's wrong?" Brian asked alarmed at his cousin-in-law's appearance.

Anita opened her mouth to speak but couldn't get the horrible words out. The world was closing in on her and she could not breath. She sank to the floor in a dead faint.

************************************

Brian held a sobbing Rachel in his arms as the officers told them of the accident. Brian was in too much shock to cry yet. How could his cousin be dead?

They had just finished their new album Never Gone and were going to get ready for a tour. No, there was just no way that Kevin, 34 years old, happily married Richardson of the Backstreet Boys could be dead.

Brian had laid Anita on the couch and after sitting Rachel down, he went to check on her. He found her to just be stirring.

"Please tell me it's not true." Anita wispered, eyes red.

Unable to tell her what she wanted, Brian hung his head.