- Text Size +
Chapter Two

Ray walked into the darkened room with a sigh. Anita was still curled up under the blankets, whisps of hair sticking out.

"Come on Anita. It is time to get up."

"Go away." Anita answered dully.

"It's been a month. You have to get up."

There was no response, but then a groan as Anita slowly pulled herself up.

Ray looked at her friend carefully. Anita had given up on life it seemed. Her eyes were always red brimmed and her hair dull.

Her once beautiful creamy skin was just pale and almost yellow like.

"Aaron is flying in today. Brian and I have to go pick him up. Be ready for a special dinner when we get back."

Anita sighed hard and threw the blankets back swinging her legs over to the side. She listened as the door shut and the car back up as Rachel and Brian left.

Anita didn't feel like getting up but knew she had to. She reached over to flip on her Merril Bainbridge Song.

Where do I go from here?
Or am I just like a clock spinning round?
Everything seems unclear
Confusion is raising its head and I can't make a sound

And I feel it
Tearing at my soul while I'm asleep
I feel it
Driving me to something I'll regret

Anita sat listening to the words. She sang along softly. The words described exactly how she felt. It was so scary but the lyrics touched her heart making it ache.

She closed her eyes trying to stop the tears from falling. She clutched her pillow as the face of her husband floated through her mind.

What if I make the change?
What if I lose all my courage this time?
Everything seems so strange
Try but I can't seem to make a decision that's right

And I feel it
Pounding like a drum inside my brain
I feel it
If it doesn't stop I'll go insane

Once again, Anita wondered how this woman could have lyrics that were so much how she felt. She was trying to let go of the hurt for Kevin's loss. She needed the courage and the the pain was pounding in her head like a drum.

The loss of Kevin was pushing her to the edge, she was going insane.

I feel it
Tearing at my soul while I'm asleep
I feel it
Driving me to something I'll regret
I feel it...I feel it
If it doesn't stop I'll go insane

She carefully put the cd on repeat and got up to change and get ready. She wasn't exactly thrilled to have Aaron home. He was rather loud and annoying.

She sighed. She knew that she would miss the peace and quiet of the house.

She was brushing her hair out when she heard the car pull up. Her shoulders dropped when she heard the car doors slam. They were home already.

Anita sat on her bed thinking when there was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" She called out.

"It's me, Air head."

She sighed and opened the door a crack.

Aaron looked at her with a solem face.

"Well, I'm back."

She nodded keeping the door blocked with her body.

"Aren't you happy to see me?"

She shrugged not feeling a thing.

He sighed.

"Are you ready for dinner?"

"I'd rather not go."

Aaron looked at her with his sad eyes.

"May I come in?"

She hesitated, the stepped back and opened the door enough for him to slip in.

***********************

"Oh Brian, he has to help he's our only hope!" Ray sighed.

Brian burried his head into his hands.

"He has to make her happy he just has to!" Ray went on about Aaron.

Brian ran a hand through his hair and looked at his girlfriend.

Kevin had been the one to introduce them. With out Kevin, Ray and Brian would have never gotten together.

Ray saw the look and stopped her face changing.

"Brian, honey, don't." She said softly.

Brian did his best to blink back tears but it was no use. They spilled down his cheeks.

Ray went to him and hugged him. It was her job to be the strong one. She had to be strong for all of them