- Text Size +
Chapter 12

~August 1993~

It has been two months since Felicia has become a McLean. Well, not exactly. She still kept her last name, and she wasn’t legally adopted yet. Felicia managed to still observe the anniversary of her parents’ and sister’s deaths. But tradition wise, that was the only thing she did. Even when she was at home, she didn’t observe all of the holidays, even including each Shabbat. She wasn’t planning on recognizing the High Holiday’s either, because she never liked standing up for almost an entire service for three days and then not being able to eat on one of them. She really only sang the prayers she remembered from camp because they had a good beat. She even got AJ to sing one because she sang it so much.

Every so often, Felicia went in with the guys to dance, but she tried to stay away from Nick so it didn’t look like she was avoiding him. She still hung out with him, she just kept telling herself not to fall for him. I don’t think of you like that. Those words were always repeating in her head when he did something cute. I wont….no, I CAN’T fall for him.

School was about to start again. Because last year was Brian’s senior year, he was done with tutoring. Nick and AJ still had to do it though.

“Felicia, can we talk?” Denise asked as she came up to Felicia’s room.

Felicia looked up from her letter she was writing to Miss Haselton. “Sure.”

Denise pulled up a chair and sat in front of Felicia. “Okay, first thing. School should be starting in two weeks. I was wondering whether you would like to go to an actual school or if you would like to be tutored with AJ and Nick.

Well, its either people ask a bunch of questions about me, or try to not fall for Nick. But I will have AJ around as well for an escape route. “If tutoring would be easier, then I’ll do that,” Felicia said.

“Okay, that’s covered, now I have another question for you,” Denise said as she took a pause. “I love having you around the house, AJ loves you, the guys love you, my mom and dad love you. Would it be okay if I filled out the adoption paperwork?” she asked, hoping Felicia would say yes.

Felicia’s eye’s brightened. “Really?”

“Really really,” Denise said.

Felicia giggled and then gave her a big hug. “Thank you.”

Denise kissed her on the top of her head. “Your welcome sweetie. I have the paperwork, I just need to fill it out, and then I will take it to my lawyer on my way to pick up AJ.”

“Okay,” Felicia said as she gave Denise a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you.”

Denise smiled. “I’m going to finish up the paper work and then head out. Can you handle being by yourself for a couple hours?”

Felicia nodded. “If I need anything I can visit Nana and Papa.” Felicia was glad that those were the names that AJ used for his grandparents. Felicia would have trouble calling them ‘Bubbie’, ‘Zaydee’, ‘Grandma’, or ‘Grandpa’, as her blood grandparents were still alive and she would only have one of each for her entire life.

“Okay, I’ll call them to let them know what’s going on. Have fun,” Denise said before leaving.

Felicia sighed and went back to her letter. She didn’t finish the sentence she was already working on and just started a completely new paragraph.

“I can’t believe it! I am going to be adopted! Mom just asked if it was okay if she filled out the paperwork! This is all because of you. Thank you so much!

Love, Felicia”

~*~*~

Three hours later, Denise returned with AJ. AJ bounded up the stairs and knocked on her door. “Come in!” Felicia said, finishing up a poem.

AJ bursted in and gave her a humongous bear hug.

Felicia laughed. “I guess you heard…but um, it won’t matter if I can’t breath.”

AJ let go and a sheepish look appeared on his face. “Sorry, but the news is awesome.”

“I know, I even wrote a poem about it….wanna hear it?”

“Sure….story time!” he said as he sat on the ground, Indian style.

Felicia laughed. “It’s called I’m With You.”

I'm standing on a bridge I'm waiting in the dark I thought that you'd be here by now There’s nothing but the rain No footsteps on the ground I'm listening but there’s no sound

Isn't anyone trying to find me? Won't somebody come take me home

It's a damn cold night Trying to figure out this life Wont you take me by the hand take me somewhere new I don’t know who you are but I... I'm with you

I'm looking for a place searching for a face is anybody here i know cause nothings going right And everything’s a mess and no one likes to be alone

Isn't anyone trying to find me? Won't somebody come take me home

It's a damn cold night Trying to figure out this life Wont you take me by the hand take me somewhere new I don’t know who you are but I... I'm with you

Why is everything so confusing Maybe I’m just out of my mind

It's a damn cold night Trying to figure out this life Wont you take me by the hand take me somewhere new I don’t know who you are but I... I'm with you

“Wow,” AJ said, not really sure to say. Is she happy or sad that she’s being adopted?

“Can I tell you something?” Felicia asked.

“Sure.”

“The night before you and mom came to the orphanage, I had this dream. I was standing on a bridge, and all of these gray people with empty faces were reaching out to me. Then, two people who were in color came and took my hand. Before I woke up, I could make out who they were. When I met you and mom, I realized you were the two from my dream.”

“Really? That’s cool…. slightly creepy, but cool nonetheless,” AJ said.

Felicia giggled. “I know, but that’s why I wrote this poem. I didn’t want to finish it until I was adopted.”

Now it made sense to AJ. “Ohhh.”

Felicia giggled. “Did mom say how long it would take to hear an answer?”

“I think she said a month,” AJ said, trying to think back to the conversation.

“Okay, I’m sort of tired, I think I’m going to take a nap,” Felicia said, yawning.

“Okay, sweet dreams.” AJ kissed her on the forehead and left.

This couldn’t get any better, Felicia thought before she drifted off to sleep.