- Text Size +
Chapter 16

During the Recess, Felicia went down to the cafeteria with Brian to get something to eat. She saw her cousins were there, so they sat on the other side of the room.

“So, who do you think will win the World Series?” Brian asked.

Felicia laughed, “We already discussed this, the Indians of course!”

“But they aren’t even in the playoffs anymore.”

“So they will come back from the dead,” Felicia giggled.

“Um…. Felicia?” Felicia turned around and saw her older cousin Jessica there.

“Jessica! Um….I don’t know if I should be talking to you.”

“Okay, then I will do all the talking,” Jessica smiled. “I just want you to know that Marjorie, Naomi, and I support you. If we could of, we would have visited you, but mom and dad wouldn’t let us. It doesn’t matter to us if you live with us or stay here. As long as you’re happy, its fine with us.”

Felicia smiled back. “Thank you.”

“Your welcome,” Jessica said and walked away.

“We should head back,” Brian said quietly, standing up.

Felicia sighed and joined him. “Yeah.”

They headed towards the elevator, and Felicia got butterflies in her stomach. Its almost over.

~*~*~

They returned to the courtroom ten minutes before the Judge was scheduled to come back. The guys were goofing again. Even though Felicia saw her aunt and uncle looking at her, she managed to pay attention to the conversation this time. Knowing for certain that her cousins were on her side helped calm her nerves slightly. But not completely.

“Please rise, the honorable Judge Ciccantelli presiding,” the bailiff said. Ciccantelli sat down.

“Usually, when I preside over these cases, I find my decision to have been a tough one. However I usually end up deciding for the child to be placed with her blood relatives, solely because the child was too young to make his or her decision. However, this case was different. It is easy to see that Felicia loves her new family, and they love her equally. Therefore, I find that Felicia Levine should be allowed to be adopted by Denise McLean. Mr. Levine, I suggest that you leave your niece alone. You had given up custody to her, and because you ‘forgot’ that, you wasted everyone’s time. Mrs. McLean, because of the trial however, you will need to re-file the paper work. We are adjourned,” Judge Ciccantelli said as he left.

Felicia was so excited. Denise gave her a big hug that she returned. She turned to AJ and gave him a hug as well. All of their friends were celebrating.

“I think we should all celebrate, on us,” Papa said.

“Thanks dad,” Denise said and kissed him on the cheek.

Felicia walked out of the courtroom, an arm around AJ and Nick. Thank god I am staying here, with my real family.