- Text Size +
Chapter 1

Year: June 1993

Rehearsal had just ended. Everyone involved was extremely tired, except for one certain blonde.

“Who’s up for basketball?” Nick shouted, bouncing around the sidewalk.

Everyone groaned when they heard that.

“Not now Frack…. maybe in a day or two,” Brian said.

Kevin and Howie just nodded in agreement, too tired to put words together.

Nick turned to AJ. “Well, what about you?” he asked, hoping he would say yes.

“Sorry man, my mom wanted to talk to me about something.” AJ said. “Honestly though, it sounded like she wanted to talk about something serious, so I’d rather play basketball.”

Nick sighed. “That’s okay.” Nick’s mom just pulled up. “Well, that’s my cue. I’ll talk to you guys later.”

The guys said bye when AJ’s mom came up.

“Good luck man. I hope you’re not in any trouble,” Howie joked.

“Ha ha, very funny,” AJ said. “See you guys later.”

AJ got into the car and kissed his mom on the cheek. Shortly after, AJ was out like a light.

~*~*~

“Alex, sweetie were home,” Denise said gingerly.

“5 more minutes mom…” AJ mumbled, but still managed to get out of the car. He wanted to go back to sleep as soon as he could, so he cut right to the chase. “So, what did you want to talk about?"

“Well, I need your opinion on something…how would you like to have a sister?”

“WAIT! Are you pregnant?!” AJ exclaimed, wide-awake now.

“What? No!” She laughed. “I am just curious”

“Well…. I guess I wouldn’t mind…why?” He asked suspiciously.

“I want to adopt.” “Okay...but why?” “Well, I know I am not getting back with your father anytime soon, let alone anyone, and I want to have another child,” she stated matter of factly.

“What, am I not good enough?” AJ joked.

She laughed. “You are the best son I could ever ask for. But if there is a chance I wont have another child, I want to do something about it. I figure a good age difference between siblings is 3 years, and if I wait any longer, I may be adopting someone who doesn’t want to be adopted.”

”Okay, but when are we going to go? And where?”

“We are going to Columbus, OH. I asked about anything local, but social services said that they do not have any girls. So they said try up north. And we are going as soon as you pack, I already got the okay from Lou.”

“Great. But I have a question…is it snowing up there?”