- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I finally kept my word! Please review if you read!
Chapter 53

“But…how…I mean….” Felicia stuttered as she sat down next to her sister.

“You want to know why I’m here in this cave with you?” Erica guessed, picking up a stick next to her and played with the fire.

“And why you don’t talk like a little kid any more even though you look the same,” Felicia said, staring at her sister in awe. A cold gust of wind came into the cave and Felicia held herself to keep warm. “I must have hit my head really hard….”

“No kidding,” Erica scoffed as some sparks flew. “I look the same because once you die your body stays the same as how your loved ones remember you—“

“So I see what I want to see?”

Erica sighed. “You always interrupted me, but yes.”

“Sorry,” Felicia chuckled some.

“ANYWAYS,” Erica smiled and continued, “Just because your body stays the same, doesn’t mean you don’t stop growing mentally. I mean at a certain state your mind doesn’t get any older, but depending on when you died you learn enough to make sense when your loved ones die.”

“So mom and dad, they are just like how I remembered them?” Felicia asked then paled as she realized the last thing Erica said. “Wait….am I…..am I dead? She added softly.

“Yes and no,” Erica replied, drawing in the dirt with the stick. “But you are awfully close to it…”

Felicia covered her mouth thinking about this, then looked at the fire. It’s a white light…., she thought then backed behind Erica like it was a pile of worms.

“Your right, that’s the light.”

Felicia looked over Erica’s shoulder, actually trying to hide behind someone much smaller than herself. “How’d you….”

“Of all the questions to ask at a time like this, you ask that?” Erica said raising her eyebrow.

“I guess….I’m just….I’m confused….” Felicia sighed but stayed put.

Erica turned around and smiled at her. “Mom and dad are real proud of you….I am too, I guess….”

Felicia smiled and started to tear up. “I miss you guys, so much….” For a brief moment Felicia forgot about her new family and her new life.

“Don’t you dare,” Erica said sternly, as she was able to know Felicia’s train of thought.

“Don’t do what?” Felicia asked, looking at the fireplace. I’m freezing right now. I bet if I get closer to it, I’ll warm up real fast, she thought, and slowly scootched closer to the fire until Erica grabbed her by the shirt collar and pulled her back.

“I said, don’t you dare,” Erica said looking Felicia square in the eye. “It’s not your time yet.”

“But I want to be with you, and mommy, and daddy,” Felicia said, suddenly talking like she was ten years old again.

Erica sighed and stood up, took Felicia’s hand and pulled her away from the fire. “Come with me, I need to show you something.”

Felicia looked back at the fire longingly as Erica led her to a wooden door in a far corner of the cave.